Carnival Splendor 4 Night Canada Cruise - CruiseXLife's Photo Review

cruisexlife

Hello all, and welcome to another photo review! :D

A little bit about me. My name is Anthony, I live in the Baltimore Area, and I'm in my low 30's. This was my 9th cruise, 8th on Carnival, 1st on Splendor, and 2nd time to Saint John. My job requires me to travel when the local schools are out. Unlike my other cruises, this trip was not with mom, but with one of my college friends, Jacqui. We did the 5 night on Glory in 2013 together and loved it. This cruise was not originally on the radar, but after hovering over airline deals and hotel steals, we decided to pick the easy option and cruise. Here is the itinerary:

Thursday June 25th: New York, NY 4PM Departure

Friday June 26th: Fun Day at Sea

Saturday June 27th: Saint John, NB, Canada 8AM-6PM

Sunday June 28th: Fun Day at Sea

Monday June 29th: New York, NY 7AM Arrival

If you have read my other reviews, welcome back! If you have not, you can click the links in my signature. They are both still active and if you have any questions on them, feel free to ask! When I write my reviews, it really helps when people leave comments. It helps me know what you're looking for and what you want to know, so please don't hesitate to leave me a question or comment along the way!

On Wednesday afternoon, I began the 3 hour drive to the Poconos, where Jacqui lives. This allowed us avoid double toll and parking fees, issues at check-in, as well as giving us some time together before the cruise. When I arrived, we went out to eat, and caught up. This reminded me how much fun Jacqui and I have together, so I knew that it was going to be a great one! We went back to her house, got the tags on our suitcases, our maps printed, our documentation ready, and our spirits up. We went to bed, ready for our trip.

The next morning, we got up around 8:00, and were out by 9:00. Goodbye Poconos, see you in a few days!

DSCF4983_zps1gwjzror.jpg

We began our 2 hour drive to Newark Liberty Airport. Jacqui has a bad stigma with connecting flights, so she always drives to Newark to catch her flights. She will only fly from Scranton-Wilkes Barre or Allentown/Lehigh Valley if she will end up connecting no matter what. Either way, she knows the best place to park her car, the Crowne Plaza Newark. We used this parking facility last time and it was just fine, so we used it again. We arranged that she would pay for the night I stayed with her, the gas, tolls, and parking, and I would pay for the shuttles, Uber, and Saint John activities. It ended up being a really fair split. $15 a day here, shuttle is complementary.

DSCF4986_zpsvfg0e8b5.jpg

We got on the hotel's shuttle to Newark. We got off at the A concourse, but it stops at all of them.

DSCF4987_zpsnfuzvg99.jpg

It was around 11:15 and we needed to find our bus to the city. We were using the mainstream Manhattan-Newark bus. We asked where to go, and the lady said "down to the bus lot", where we went. This bus lot was the same as the previous year. But we're waiting and waiting and waiting, and it's not coming. So we asked the same lady again, and turns out it was a new bus lot that was actually down. That put us back some time, but it was all good, because we had the bus to ourselves.

We drove through New Jersey making our way towards the city. The skyline was making me so excited, every time I go to NYC, it's like it's my first time all over again. I love this city a lot, and living so close is a huge advantage!

The NYC skyline.

DSCF4989_zps36qrfltd.jpg

We kept driving, past the famous overlook (the first time in my life that I enjoyed it without a camera in front of my face), and into the tunnel. I noticed the tunnel was moving slower than usual, but since I hadn't been to NYC since January I brushed it off. We finally got to the other side, and I then realized that I was right, something was holding everyone up. But, WELCOME TO NEW YORK!

DSCF4991_zpsjgl17i5x.jpg

DSCF4992_zpsribdv6co.jpg

DSCF4993_zpsmoyf1enr.jpg

We inched closer to the city and farther from the tunnel, but then it started to feel like something was wrong. What could it be? Well, I'll just skip to the good part, when we got off, 45 minutes after getting through to Manhattan. People from the city, correct me if I'm wrong, but that seemed like it was too long. That's a mile, right!?

We were right in front of Port Authority when the driver dropped us off.

DSCF4994_zpsyofvnzpl.jpg

It was 12:30 now, and based on the traffic I just experienced, I was a little worried as to if I would make it to the terminal on time. We were right next to Time Square, and planned on using Uber, so we walked a few blocks down, and found a place to call it. It came in about 7 minutes, in a nice new Ford Explorer. The driver was very kind, helped us with our bags, and got us there in about 5 minutes. When I'm in New York, I smile like an idiot. But do you want to know when I smile ear to ear, every time, no matter the condition? When I see the Whale Tail!

DSCF4998_zpsgaspcnx4.jpg

DSCF4997_zpsi73bjbi9.jpg

If you read my Glory review, you would've read about how I breezed past the porters on accident, and didn't realized that you could just carry your luggage on, and that was our plan for this cruise. But already being late and tired, we decided to just had our luggage to the porters. We walked into the building, and went up the escalator, and began the boarding process.

DSCF4999_zps7o83xmeg.jpg

Don't make my mistake and get in line without getting a Canadian customs form (that is, if you're cruising to Canada). Many were sent back to wait in the line all over again. I realized after only advancing two sections, and Jacqui held the spot once I got them for the both of us, but if you're a solo traveler, you may have to go back and stand in the line again. I also messed it up twice, so I took a picture of the third so everyone knows what to expect beforehand.

DSCF5007_zpsol6sc4no.jpg

We went through security and got in the line to get our cards. We had a great experience last time in NYC, but not today. It was around 1:30 and we were not even in the last section before we got our roomkeys. I was talking to someone, who had cruised out of NYC with carnival 4 times before, and they said that if you get to the terminal after 12:30, you will wait an awful long time to board. Note to self.

DSCF5008_zpshh0qxga5.jpg

We finally got our roomkeys. Jacqui is a red member with 23 nights after the cruise, and I am a Gold member with 50 nights after the cruise. We handed in our Canadian customs forms (don't be that person who lost it or threw it out, because there were a few!), and opted not to take the boarding photo. We were too excited to begin our cruise!

DSCF5009_zpsjs7nj95h.jpg

We walked up the gangway, onto the Promenade deck, and into the open doors. I handed the man my card, and you all know what that means. The cruise has begun! :D I stepped foot into Splendor's atrium, and wow. It looked very extra and over the top in pictures (not to say that it isn't a little in person), but it took my breath away and I really liked it. The green infusions balance it out.

DSCF5010_zps9fhpeyp8.jpg

We headed up to our room on Deck 7, as it was open. When I cruise with my mother, we usually get a 4J, because it's cheap, and my mom doesn't like the idea of being in a pitch black room with no way to tell that it's day or night, which is understandable. But I love insides, and so does Jac. Cheap, they can be anywhere on the boat, quiet, and less motion. We had 7244, about halfway between the elevators and the secret deck.

DSCF5011_zpsuxeyzsxc.jpg

We dropped out carry-ons off, and at this point, our stomachs were louder than the "Welcome onboard the carnival Splendor" message playing on the TV. We went straight up to the Splendido Lido. I will say, the elevators are very over the top and out there. But they didn't take away from the cruise experience.

DSCF5013_zpsapcalnbs.jpg

The 9th deck (lido) is where you really start to notice the difference between the Conquest and Splendor classes. Rather than two smaller hallways leading to the skylight, there is one big hallway. The middle pool is able to be covered with a glass dome, and the hottubs are on a different deck. Pizza Pirate is at the front. All of these changes, I liked, and could already tell I would enjoy this ship design better.

DSCF5016_zpsak6tumcu.jpg

We got in line, got our food, and found a table. The Splendido Lido was nice pretty, and I enjoyed eating in there.

DSCF5018_zpskymi7x6w.jpg

Notice the small orbs in the ceiling and on the wall. If you look a bit closer, you see that there are handpainted/blown, and that no two are alike. I really enjoyed this originality of Splendor, and always walked slow through the area to get a good look at each.

DSCF5019_zpslvyeuemp.jpg

We got a nice table overlooking the car deck and Manhattan!

DSCF5017_zpsw9necmpv.jpg

After lunch, Jacqui was very tired, but I was just the opposite, I wanted to explore the ship! So she went to the room to take a nap, and I went on a ship tour.

The Liner Pool. I really liked this area. Wasn't able to spend an exorbitant amount of time here due to our weather, but on other cruises, this where you'd find me!

DSCF5020_zpstdbdkzgy.jpg

DSCF5021_zpsojeoaxst.jpg

From the Liner Pool, I went down to the Promenade Deck. Love this area on this ship, and any ship at night!

DSCF5022_zpshlx27oq5.jpg

Club02 for your 15-17 year old kids. I heard on Freedom, they made this space into the Red Frog Pub, and used the room between the midship restaurant and the awkward stairwell as the new Club02, and I for one think this would be a positive change on all of the ships. No one really goes down there, and with the expanding youth program, they won't need to use it for the 9-11 year olds. It'll keep the teenagers a little less out of your hair! ;)

DSCF5023_zpswzhdwgpm.jpg

Midship stairs

DSCF5024_zpsfsm8fgaw.jpg

The signature bench that every ship has. They're kind of like a license plate!

DSCF5027_zpshfnheqjy.jpg

I made sure I made an effort to tour the spa. They leave it open on the first day in case the people in regular rooms decided to buy the package.

DSCF5028_zpsa58zkgue.jpg

The Thalassotherapy Pool, with the gym behind it.

DSCF5029_zps4dqgiyms.jpg

One of the heated rooms.

DSCF5031_zpsznwavef7.jpg

The Aroma Steam Room was a cool place. They changed the scent everyday, and I do enjoy steam rooms. I couldn't get a pic of the inside, as you couldn't see anything.

DSCF5032_zpsbwfu6wzi.jpg

In addition to what I showed you, there are more heated lounges. The package also comes with priority spa access. I do not know if the robes and special soaps only come with the rooms, but I know the pass is $90 to use all of those facilities. I think it would be worth it on a cruise like this if you planned on relaxing and not doing much, and spent a lot of time at sea, but we decided not to get it this time, because it wasn't budgeted. Next time!

Onto the upper decks! Here is the view looking back. Love this view!

DSCF5034_zpsvhpmi4fe.jpg

Serenity. I felt that there was much more outer deck space on the Splendor than other ships, so I felt less of a need to come here to escape kids. Now, on a 95 degree day of the coast of Cuba enroute to Cozumel, the answer may change. But I did notice more chairs and deck space on the Splendor compared to the Conquest class ships.

DSCF5035_zpsmtw2orzo.jpg

Mini-Golf

DSCF5037_zps1nx8lmdi.jpg

Looking down at the pool area. A nice 85 degree day here in New York, perfect day for the start of a cruise!

DSCF5038_zpshbuncswh.jpg

The TV, slide, and the city, Deck 11.

DSCF5039_zpsugckkww5.jpg

Yay, a Splendor review! We sail on her in a few short months, so I am soaking up all the info I can on her. You're off to a great start!

Thanks for tuning in! I wanted to try the Bermuda cruise so badly, but I couldn't get the week off. But you're right, those months will fly by very quickly! I'm glad you found a review that can help you, I'll make sure I include extra details about her (she's a great ship)! Leave any questions along the way!

Nice - A Canada review for a change. I'm tuned in.

Let's go!

Thanks for tuning in! They are very scarce, that's why I told myself that I had to get it written before September when they all commence. Sadly, I left today on this exact same cruise, so only one or two four nights left, meaning not many that can read this and know exactly what their cruise will be like. But I will totally have it done for the peak season. I also hope to spark a new interest in many, as this is a great cruise and should be taken advantage of!

I hope you enjoy it!

We'll be on Splendor in December. Can't wait to see more!

You're in for a great cruise. Read my Glory review to help with the ports, because I did that cruise last year and wrote a review. Thanks for tuning in! :D

The Splash Park. This surprised me, as I forgot that it was here, and I'd never seen it on a Carnival ship. I thought this was such a cool venue, and I can see where the huge waterpark came in with the Dream class, since the success with the Evolutions of Fun and Splash park on Splendor did well. Lots of kids were very happy!

DSCF5040_zps77az5opb.jpg

The smokestack. Does anyone know why they have been shorter on the new ships since Splendor?

DSCF5041_zpsvpljdrsi.jpg

The basketball court, grandstand and the city. This is the first grandstand I saw on a ship as well.

DSCF5042_zps1pjivmzj.jpg

One World Trade Center down in lower Manhattan. Passing this beauty on a cruise is something you'll never forget, but more on that later.

DSCF5043_zpsjzaa9ejr.jpg

And find I'm King of the Hill, top of the heap!

DSCF5046_zpsml50mjmk.jpg

At this point I decided that I would see what Jacqui was doing. I was feeling tired myself. I planned on a short nap until I saw that our suitcases arrived. It was now 3:00, and both suitcases, as well as many suitcases in the hall, we already out. Don't know if this had to do with out proximity to the suites, but I liked it! I used this time to unpack my things and get situated. Jacqui still wanted to savor the last 30 minutes of her nap.

At 3:30 she got up, and we prepared to go to Muster Drill. After showing her the spa pictures, she said that she wanted to go check it out herself. We headed back up, and toured it, and then made the ultimate decision that we didn't want it. Next time!

It was now 4:00 and muster was not starting. We went back to the room to wait, Jacqui began her unpacking. At 5:20, it started.

DSCF5047_zpsgyqikcpm.jpg

This was a very smooth muster, probably the smoothest I've had so far on any cruise. It was over by 5:45. Then, Jac and I headed up to the deck above the "Carnival Splendor" sign. Stay tuned!

Next: Sailaway

We have also sailed on Splendor 3x and been to Canada 3x. Twice the weather was HORRIBLE, once it was SPLENDID! Enjoying this! Since we have sailed on Splendor, we did both the Liberty and Pride for the lst time, so Splendor kind of "slid down a notch" in popularity, but I still love her, pink donuts and all! :p Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Hey, I recognize this ship!!! :D Great start to your review. We have done the Canada run many times and enjoyed it. Looking forward to the rest of your review.

Jeff, I bet you do recognize it! Hope we left it in good enough condition. I'll get around to reading your review tonight after I get a little bit more written. Thanks for following along! ;)

We were on the same cruise! Weather was a bummer, except in Canada, but we had a great time overall. Can't wait for the rest of the review!!!

It was a great cruise overall. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for following along! :D

Enjoying your review so far! We will be on the Splendor on September 6th for the 7-day.

Thanks for reading! I would love to give the 7 day a try someday. I hope you enjoy it! Feel free to ask any questions along the way, and I've been to Halifax too, so if you want to, I can answer those questions as well. ;)

We have also sailed on Splendor 3x and been to Canada 3x. Twice the weather was HORRIBLE, once it was SPLENDID! Enjoying this! Since we have sailed on Splendor, we did both the Liberty and Pride for the lst time, so Splendor kind of "slid down a notch" in popularity, but I still love her, pink donuts and all! :p Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Oh yeah, just getting back from Liberty 2.5 months before really put this ship on an unfair playing field! But I did really enjoy my time on her, pink donuts and all! Thanks for reading! :D

I had a very good view for sailaway. When leaving from New York, you must be able to get a view of both sides of the ship, so many who had balconies came upstairs just for that reason. Here is our initial pullout from Pier 90.

DSCF5048_zps5lzsmsf3.jpg

Waving to the people on this boat

DSCF5050_zpsjxeqv74s.jpg

Now this is something I would like to try someday. Last cruise I saw paddleboarding, and this one I saw kayaking. Next time I come during the summer, I will try to do just that, but when a ship is in port!

DSCF5051_zps4ar5kzix.jpg

Empire State Building in the back. Haven't been up there in a long time.

DSCF5053_zpsbddvixyj.jpg

This is my yacht. And to whoever stole it from me, all I ask is that you hand over the keys and the deed and the insurance without any charge, and we won't have a problem, got me? (:

DSCF5055_zpsmfiwi1z0.jpg

On approach into Lower Manhattan. Here is where it gets super exciting.

DSCF5054_zpsoyxgsyqb.jpg