Pride of America and Oahu Pre-Cruise Review July 14-26

I am loving your slideshows. In one of the pictures, I think it was Maui, there was a tote with smaller bags in the same hawaiian print. Looks like you bought them there. Where was the store where they were purchased? I'd like to pick up some for gifts. Thanks.

Was there any free juices or lemonade, etc.?

I hope I get an invitation to the Latitudes parties. Free drinks are a good thing. This will be my third NCL cruise.

The latitudes party had plenty of free drinks to go around both alcohol and non-alcohol.

Outside of that, you may have free mango juice in your hotel lobby (I'm referring to Moana Surfrider here).

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few other opportunities out there to score a free drink or two during the cruise.

Thank you so much for your review! I appreciate the time that you have taken to put all the photos and slide shows together.

Also, thanks for the tip on Aina Tours. I just booked them for our Hilo excursion--now I just have to wait another 10 months until we set sail :D.

I think you should be very pleased with them. They really do provide a five-star touring service. They know where to take you and the timing for each stop to a science and you will have pineapples and macadamia nuts to snack on along the way. Also they say 6.5 hours over the phone but they won't cut the tour short if you are slightly behind with the stops. We were probably closer 7.5 hours that we were gone and this was still at our original quoted price.

Let's just get today's bad news fact out of the way right away as I guess it apparently affects every sailing now.... Those of you expecting an 8am arrival to Kauai are going to be sorely disappointed when you receive a paper that says you will not arrive until 10am (there is no notice of this on their website that I know of and a paper is handed out while you are in Oahu). This delay is PAINFUL. Kauai is such a beautiful island that I may not see again for several/many years. That's my one big complaint of the cruise... get the POA's rear to the next island please... we are all there to see Hawaii! Each leg of the trip could be done in a handful of hours if they really wanted to. [Pending further confirmation of anyone that cruised the voyage departing the 25th or the current sailing.]

My advice: cancel your dinner reservations and just eat on the island.... you don't want to have to worry about returning to the ship so shortly after you arrive with this lousy new time. We only had about 7 hours on the island before we needed to return for a Teppanyaki reservation (which of course fills up immediately as you board so we were stuck eating there then or not eating at Teppanyaki at all).

That is the end of my complaining... now comes my raving about Kauai.

I was up at 6:30 to watch the sunrise and ate breakfast in the aft of Aloha Cafe. We walked to Enterprise Rent-a-Car desk at Marriott. This is a hike that will take 15-20 minutes from ship. We were then on our way to Ke'e Beach Park (the end of the road). There are several scenic points to enjoy along the way such as Hanalei Valley. It probably takes 90 minutes to get to Ke'e and you may have to get a little creative with the parking (the photo of our parking spot in the slideshow is quite comical). At Ke'e, there is a tunnel which is great for photos and the main attraction is the beach that has the views of the Na Pali Coast. To get the best view of the coast, when you get to the beach walk to your right a few hundred yards.

Next stop was Hanalei Bay. It is a beautiful bay with a pier that has a great view of the bay. There are several kodak moments to be had here. Interestingly enough, there was an artist there that day creating a painting of Hanalei Bay.

Next is where we got screwed by NCL's spur of the moment delay. Our original plan was to stop at the Kilauea Lighthouse and then head to Poipu. Well, time was not on our side to make our Teppanyaki reservation so we had to go straight to Poipu. Poipu is a pretty unique beach. There is a resort next to the Marriott (?) that generously lets you park for free. We ate lunch at the Marriott (I think that's what it was) and then walked the beach to Poipu's famous sandbar. It's the one time you can walk out and have a view back at the beach without endangering your camera. We took several photos here and the views are wonderful.

Before long it was time to head back. We returned the car and I bought a Kauai golf shirt before we returned to the ship around 6pm. I got a sunset picture or two but the sunset today before dinner.

Teppanyaki is a pretty entertaining restaurant and worth visiting once during the trip. They put on a show with their equipment, spell out NCL with fried rice, and make a snake out of eggs to mention a few of their tricks. There is plenty of food to eat here: Miso Soup and Seaweed Salad, Fried Rice and Veggies, and my choices were Filet Mignon (this was the best dish), Calamari, and Lobster (too much sauce... I love the taste of lobster obviously but the sauce masked it). Desserts are green tea cake and fruit sashimi. Fruit Sashimi is probably the best of the two. If you have a celebration cake coupon saved though and don't know when you will use it, then, in my opinion, this is the night. I never usually get to eat those cakes when we have them because there are so many desserts onboard. It is actually quite good!

After dinner, we all went to a game called Majority Rules. How it works: You are asked a question and if your groups answer matches with enough other groups then it is the majority and you all get a point. There is also a point awarded for getting an answer up first. This was pretty frantic and entertaining being the runner of my group.

Name that tune was going on in Pink Champagne Bar. Fun concept for piano music! Too much talking and not enough playing though.

Mardi Gras was having a Country Music party tonight... not my genre is all I'm going to say about it. Others will love this event though I'm sure.

The real star here is Kauai. Get off the ship and explore this island in some way shape or form. It is the most scenic of all the Hawaiian Islands.

Another tip: Tonight is a good chance to get a night photo of the ship from the pier. We didn't do this but I wanted to point out that the opportunity is there.

That is a wrap for July 23rd: The Ke'e to Kauai.

Slideshow:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7i0ud5xvb4cs9j/July%2023rd%3A%20The%20Ke%27e%20to%20Kauai.mp4?dl=0

Stay tuned for my next segment. If I haven't already sold you on how amazing Hawaii is, then this next segment should accomplish it many multiple times more than all of my previous slideshows combined and it is named accordingly.

July 24th: Kauai - "Heaven on Earth".

Edited by Notion_of_the_Ocean

The disappointment of the delay the day before was quickly forgotten. I named this one "Heaven on Earth" because it was incredibly beautiful, incredibly fun, and incredibly action-packed.

So let's dive in...

This day began with watching the sunrise at 6:30 and then breakfast at Aloha Cafe afterwards. My mom began packing while I sat on the balcony and watched a sudden and short-lived downpour.

At 8:20 we headed to the pier for pickup for our Island Helicopters Jurassic Falls Landing tour. At 8:50 the van picked us up and we were on the way to their office at the Lihue airport. When you check in, you are given a dvd of professional photos of sights on the tour. Next, we waited in an outdoor seating area to be shuttled over to the helicopter pad. They took us across the road to the helicopter pad and we were given a safety briefing and the fashionable yellow fanny-pack life jackets. The requirement is to wear black clothing for this tour by the way.

The helicopter lands on the pad right in front of you which you can see from your waiting chair. Chair #2 is for the best seat on the helicopter... the rightmost front row seat... Nancy had this seat so I ended up using a number of photos from her. I had the left most seat behind the pilot. Right window seats and front seats are definitely better but at least I wasn't in one of the back row center seats.

The helicopter engine revs up for a minute or two and then we have liftoff. They will first fly over the airport and the Kauai Lagoons golf course. Only a minute or so after being airborn, the chopper flies over the Pride of America (get the cameras ready for it before takeoff... we failed to capture that). About 2-3 minutes in, we were flying along the mountain range past the port. Not to long after this point, there are coastal views off in the distance and a nearby lake. A rainbow formed over this lake while we were flying which was awesome. Somewhere around the 15-20 minute mark, the chopper descends into a valley for the approach to Jurassic Falls. We landed in a grassy area with a path to the falls. Over the bridge we went and the sound of the falls becomes more and more audible. My first reaction of the falls is recorded on camera in the slideshow. It is my one and only spoken line in the entire Hawaii series and I say "This is Jurassic Park Falls! Absolutely Magnificent!". The time allowed at this stop is about 15 minutes and it was only me, Nancy, Jeanine, and three others at the falls since it can only be accessed by helicopter. Lots of photos and videos were taken here. Eventually, we walked the path back to the bridge and helicopter. We took off to be greeted with many more scenic views on the way to Waimea Canyon. Somewhere around the 45 minute mark is when the canyon comes into view. I can see why it got the name "The Grand Canyon of the Pacific". The chopper flies close and inside the cliffs which can be quite exciting. There is a two-level waterfall there called Waipo'o Falls (sp?) which does not stay in view long but is beautiful for photos. While enjoying the canyon, the chopper will approach the coast. The transition from canyon to Na Pali coast is maybe five minutes which is surprisingly fast. There really is not any words for the beauty that is experienced here. Watch the slideshow. Shortly after reaching the coast, the helicopter will fly through and circle a gap in the cliffs... WOW is all I can say!

The flight along the Na Pali Coast continues and a little further down the pilot will bring the chopper about a slow 360 degree turn. This turn is caught on camera and in my slideshow. Again, this is like supernaturally beautiful. Next on the flight path is Ke'e Beach. We were there the previous day and it was a treat to see from the air as well as Hanalei Bay and pier. The crater, and wettest place on Earth was next. There were more waterfalls than I could count (or fail to snap good pictures of... although I did get a few). The pilot did another slow 360 spin. The wow factor of the scenery at these spin points is incredible. The last ten minutes or so of this tour is the return and landing in Lihue. Even this is a thrill to see. The entire tour is about 80 minutes. We exited the helicopter grounds and went back to the office to buy souvenirs. I think we all three got the Jurassic Falls T-Shirt. This Island Helicopters tour is one of the best things I have had a chance to experience in my 23 years of life so far. I would rate this helicopter tour as a mandatory right of passage for visiting Kauai. It is life changing!

With that, we were on the shuttle back to the ship and onboard the Pride of America around 11:30. This is the one day were pool chairs matter. The deck gets crowded! At noon, the BBQ lunch buffet begins and the ribs and chicken are delicious! The pineapple cake is a great dessert. The poolside activities were nonstop today. First, there was water volleyball which we ended up winning. Then, there was a fruit carving demonstration.

There was the Hawaiian Duo band playing while this was going on. They did a spiced up version of Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World which I think rivals the original. It was recorded in the slideshow for your enjoyment.

There was one hiccup today... at 1pm there was a code alpha (passenger death) announcement. This would delay us leaving Kauai by two hours and almost cause us to miss the Na Pali Coast Sail-by. My thoughts and prayers go out to affected family and friends.

Normally, the Latitudes party on the forward crew deck would be as the ship is sailing away from Kauai but due to the incident above we were still going to be docked for a while. There is free Champagne glasses and Mimosas to be had here. A valuable opportunity for anyone ranked silver or above to start "having a good time".

Next was the Magician's Underwater Escape Houdini act. The act began by having passengers chain and lock him up. He will stand at the edge of the pool for several minutes and this is somewhat dramatic as it is completely silent during that time. He jumped in and the timer began. For over a minute, there was no movement. Towards the end of the act though he will move to the fish logo in the center of the pool. The entire time he was under water was two minutes and change which was quite an impressive feat in itself. With the chains, now this is an act not to be missed.

The next activity is the Mr. Sexy Legs competition. I blame my participation and the winning of the Mr. Chicken Legs award on the tasty free mimosas and champagne....moving on.....

Our sail away was slightly after 4pm. The captain said he was going to go for the Na Pali Coast and it now became a race against time to get through the coast before it became too dark to see anything. At full speed, it takes about two hours to sail from the port to Na Pali. Honestly, the beauty was only increased by the late afternoon sun on the approach to the coast. I video recorded shortly after sailing past Kalapaki beach which highlights the beauty.

Portside balcony cabins have one heck of a view this day as the ship hugs the coast of Kauai all the way up to Na Pali. We all got drinks at the Ocean Drive pool bar to celebrate the occasion. At 6:30 or so, the front of the ship provided a view unlike anything I had seen before. To the left was the Na Pali Coast and to the right was an impressive sunset. I did my best to capture this scene although I am sad to see the glare marks from the sun cut the screen in half. Regardless, the Na Pali Coast and Sunset is a scene to be remembered and tell grandkids or future grandkids about.

Normally, this sail-by is supposed to last a couple hours I guess. We only got about 1 hour of viewing before visibility of the coast was zero but it was incredibly beautiful with the sunset and nightfall on the coast. It would be interesting to compare experiences on a normal sail-by with this one. Did we miss anything?

My sister and her husband had dinner in La Cucina while the rest of us had the last supper in Cagney's. My selections were the same. I will miss eating in a specialty restaurant every night. This was a real treat.

We walked into the Farewell Show while the Oh What a Night Tribute band was playing. IT was great to hear them perform again. The crew came out on stage afterwards for a farewell and then when the show was over they serenaded us with Hey Baby. I like the fun and festive atmosphere on the last night... good idea there! The pianist was at the Pink Champagne Bar... I remember him playing Memory from Cats and was thinking "How fitting is this sad song for a sad night."

I wanted to visit the 80s party up at Club Waikiki but it never happened. Most Club Waikiki events were nothing to see anyways so I wonder if I missed anything.

There really are not many words that can describe a day like today. Not only was it jam-packed with fun activities but the scenery made my jaw hit the floor. To me, it really was "Heaven on Earth".

At this time, I would really like to encourage you to watch the slideshow. It took three days just to put this segment together. I really think it is the best for how well it tells the story and showcases the beauty of Hawaii.

July 24th: Kauai Heaven on Earth Slideshow

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibrd2plmr6ewum8/July%2024th%3A%20Kauai%20Heaven%20on%20Earth%20.mp4?dl=0

ALSO, THIS IS NOT THE END OF THE REVIEW!

Still coming up:

July 25th: Aloha Oe Hawaii segment

Pacific Dreamland: The Hawaiian Islands Epilogue

What a fantastic review!!!!!

You also did an amazing job of wrangling your travel companions to pose for all those pictures. I come back with bucket loads of scenery shots and only a handful of us. You have inspired me to focus more on us in future travel pictures. :D

What a fantastic review!!!!!

You also did an amazing job of wrangling your travel companions to pose for all those pictures. I come back with bucket loads of scenery shots and only a handful of us. You have inspired me to focus more on us in future travel pictures. :D

Thank you!

Years down the road, the photos taken will be the only souvenir that sticks around to serve as a reminder of the trip. That is why, for me, there is a considerable amount of effort put into collecting photos and videos while there .

Well, it's the final chapter folks...

The alarm goes off and it is 5:30am. I rush out of the stateroom and on to the upper decks to get a good view of the sunrise and the final approach to Honolulu. There was only about five people up on deck to watch the arrival. The sunrise was beautiful and could be seen next to Diamond Head. For the next hour, the ship was slowly making it's way back to the place where the adventure began a week ago. After arrival, I went back to the room and we had some last minute balcony photos taken with Aloha Tower in the background. By the way, those pesky "Good morning, time to get off" announcements start just a few minutes after 7am. They can be heard even if you are in your room trying to sleep.... IT ruined my post-sunrise attempt to go back to sleep. This morning was the one time where we ate in the Sly dinning room for breakfast. It was actually much better than Aloha Cafe's breakfast buffet. I ordered the Smoked Salmon and it was quite tasty. Debarkation moves pretty well on this ship. We left at around 9:30. I can't imagine that last call was far behind us because the luggage room was near empty. You probably wouldn't last even until 10 on this ship for the "last call people" out there. So late flights = arrange a tour but you probably already knew that. Everything shuts down at 9 so there really isn't any reason to stay onboard past that time. It only took minutes to go from gangway to roadside. I ran into Cruise Director Malu on the way out and got to say farewell to her. The escalators take you back down to the waiting room to board except this time you walk through to your right to the warehouse "sucks to be you luggage room". From there, we grabbed our luggage and we were on our way as there are no customs checkpoints to clear from this cruise. We called Charlie's Taxi to take us to the airport. There was a little wait for a cab but it was still the cheapest option for us. We were at the airport before 11am, and we decided to use our United Club passes. Snacks, soft drinks, and some alcoholic/wine beverages are complimentary. The cheese and crackers with the wine was nice.

Debarkation day blues + complimentary wine = ... can anyone see how the next part of the story is going to go?

Let's just say, I woke up about 15 minutes before the landing in San Francisco. It was probably better that the moment of actually leaving Hawaii did not register to me as who the heck wants to leave there and return to Ohio (sorry to any diehard Ohioans on here... Hawaii is superior in every way in my mind). We got into Cleveland-Hopkins Airport around 5:45am. 12 days ago we were by our gate to fly to Hawaii at that time. We got home around seven. I guess my mom laid out all of our souvenirs for a picture. As for me, I slept for six hours.

I found out that I would be teaching summer school at a local Juvenile Detention Center starting the very next day. I am thoroughly enjoying my new summer school math teacher position there. It's kind of amusing though that the view outside my window went from palm trees and ocean to steel bars in less than a day. :p

So the cell doors shut and our July 14th - July 26th Hawaiian Island adventure concludes. A huge mahalo nui loa to everyone who has followed this review! Please check out the final two pieces of the slideshow series below:

July 25th: Aloha Oe Hawaii

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqr7xaq4x3be4sk/July%2025th%3A%20Aloha%20Oe%20Hawaii.mp4?dl=0

Pacific Dreamland: The Hawaiian Islands Epilogue

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zp6z2eok75gc8pd/Pacific%20Dreamland%3A%20The%20Hawaiian%20Islands%20Epilogue.mp4?dl=0

Please continue to comment and ask any questions that you may have.

Aloha!

Thank you for an amazing, thorough review. We sail on March 15, 2016 and are so excited for this cruise, especially after your wonderful review. We are now plotting to talk the hubbies into doing the helicopter tours of Jurassic Falls.

Thank you for an amazing, thorough review. We sail on March 15, 2016 and are so excited for this cruise, especially after your wonderful review. We are now plotting to talk the hubbies into doing the helicopter tours of Jurassic Falls.

Thank you! I am really glad that you have enjoyed the review. :)

The Jurassic Falls Helicopter Tour is most incredible. Never in my life have I seen so many scenic views all in one place before. I would even say it is spiritually moving. If you do the tour, try to have the cash set aside for that day as they charge about 3% extra using a credit card. It cost me $325 paying in cash and I am so glad that I didn't let that price tag scare me because it is so worth every penny.

Oh, I almost forgot.... book early! The only tours with the landing available to POA cruisers are 8, 9:30, and 11:00 on Friday. That's an 18 person maximum total that get to see the falls on any given cruise.

What a great review, mahalo for sharing! :D We did the Hawaiian islands cruise last year and loved every second!

I love the variety of this cruise. Tons of time spent in port and ship activities waiting for you when you return. There is always something to do and I wanted to catch everything that I possibly could. For 12 consecutive days, I was basically getting 6 hours of sleep or less because I was that dedicated to catching everything to be able to provide this review.

I love the variety of this cruise. Tons of time spent in port and ship activities waiting for you when you return. There is always something to do and I wanted to catch everything that I possibly could. For 12 consecutive days, I was basically getting 6 hours of sleep or less because I was that dedicated to catching everything to be able to provide this review.

This ship was amazing!!!! People who put it down are crazy. We loved it! We had a nice balcony room, the fine dining every night which was awesome, the bands were great, shows were great....not one complaint. We had cars rented on every island and took in as much as we could each day. It was not a vacation for sleeping for sure!!!

This ship was amazing!!!! People who put it down are crazy. We loved it! We had a nice balcony room, the fine dining every night which was awesome, the bands were great, shows were great....not one complaint. We had cars rented on every island and took in as much as we could each day. It was not a vacation for sleeping for sure!!!

Could not agree more, especially with your first sentences. We loved it so much.

Really enjoyed your review. It brought back a lot of good memories of Hawaii. We have done five land based trips there, but the next one that is in the planning stage is to combine a week on Oahu with the week on the ship.

All of our land based trips were two week ones, with two of them spent on Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island of Hawaii. Two others were split between Oahu and Maui, and the other was just based out of Oahu. Having spent extended time on all the islands, we have seen and done most of the top things to do or see in Hawaii, and done them at our own pace.

I think the cruise will give us a different view of the islands. Probably the one thing we will want to do this time is to bike down Haleakala.

Thanks for taking time to post.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I am glad that this review is helpful in planning or reminiscent of a past Hawaii trip.

On an odd side note, I finished creating a slideshow presentation especially for Island Helicopters as a thanks for such an awesome tour since they expressed interest in this while I was there. It appears now that I have tried to submit it to them that they aren't even going to give it the time of day (the slideshow is a snippet of the first 14 minutes of "July 14th: Kauai Heaven on Earth". Disappointing as it took a significant amount of time to do. Since I haven't written my review yet for them on their page, I may ding their review a point or two for this.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I am glad that this review is helpful in planning or reminiscent of a past Hawaii trip.

On an odd side note, I finished creating a slideshow presentation especially for Island Helicopters as a thanks for such an awesome tour since they expressed interest in this while I was there. It appears now that I have tried to submit it to them that they aren't even going to give it the time of day (the slideshow is a snippet of the first 14 minutes of "July 14th: Kauai Heaven on Earth". Disappointing as it took a significant amount of time to do. Since I haven't written my review yet for them on their page, I may ding their review a point or two for this.

I wouldn't take this too personally. I'm sure they have probably paid a lot of money for a professionally made video to put on their website and don't really have time sort through every video sent in by customers. It is a very competitive business. If you truly had as wonderful an experience as you described, i would focus on that and not let it sour your memories of an awesome day.

Another question: Do you remember how long it took to drive to Ke'e? We will have a couple of hours before we have to be back in Lihue for the tubing adventure we have booked. I would like to have an idea of how far we can get and still be back in time. If you remember, i would appreciate your help.

I wouldn't take this too personally. I'm sure they have probably paid a lot of money for a professionally made video to put on their website and don't really have time sort through every video sent in by customers. It is a very competitive business. If you truly had as wonderful an experience as you described, i would focus on that and not let it sour your memories of an awesome day.

Another question: Do you remember how long it took to drive to Ke'e? We will have a couple of hours before we have to be back in Lihue for the tubing adventure we have booked. I would like to have an idea of how far we can get and still be back in time. If you remember, i would appreciate your help.

It will take 75 to 90 minutes to get from the ship to Ke'e depending on traffic. Allow three hours driving time plus your time at Ke'e to make sure you have plenty of time.

Well here is another noteworthy piece for cruise critic...

Island Helicopters had sent a response. Their message is below:

"Aloha Brandon!

Thank you so much for sending this wonderful presentation of your flight

with us! The video is so well put together you can really tell that you put

a lot of time and effort into it.

Customers like you make our job satisfaction at its highest. We hope that

you continue on with your hobby and to see you back on Kauai one day!

We will notify you if your art is included in one of our marketing profiles.

Mahalo Nui Loa,

The Staff at Island Helicopters"

Alright here's hoping that the helicopter snippet of "July 24th: Kauai Heaven on Earth" makes it to their website! If you watched the episode, then you have already seen this but the snippet is linked below that I sent to them.

Jurassic Falls Landing Tour:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7wyteyq8dmr50k/Jurassic%20Falls%20Helicopter%20Tour.mp4?dl=0