Adventure of the Seas - Bring Mask/Snorkel?

We will be on Adventure this September sailing Southern Caribbean to St Croix, St Martin, Antigua, St Lucia, Barbados...

My question is...if we bring our mask/snorkel/flippers...which islands/beach should I carry them with me on? Don't want to lug them around if there is not much to see.

Right now I'm planning on St Croix for sure to look for Sea Glass.

I would bring your own equipment in any case, because you might see a snorkel excursion that looks interesting, and it's better to have your own equipment. Note that if you are on a ship sponsored excursion, you will have to wear a snorkel vest.

There are many beaches on each island. We don't know the ones you plan on going to. You can google your ports and check the beaches that way. My advice would be to get a private taxi at each place and tell the driver you want a beach with good snorkeling, they will know where to go

Edited by setsail

We were just on the Adventure July 11-18. We took our own gear to every island except Antigua. We had been there before and although the water is beautiful, it's kind of "milky", and not really clear. Most of the beaches are also sandy, so there isn't great snorkeling.

The best snorkeling we've had from a beach in the Southern Caribbean was in Curacao.

The best snorkeling we've had from an excursion in the Southern Caribbean was in Bonaire.

We're hopping on the Adventure this Saturday and our whole group of 6 is planning to lug our snorkel gear to every port. We have a beach on our list for every island and figure it will be fun to snorkel around off the beach just for fun even if there isn't a ton to see. Trip advisor reviews for our islands are all hit and miss for whether people claim they think the snorkeling is good or not, and it probably depends on each person's prior experience. My guess is that snorkeling off the beach is not going to be "great" at any of the beaches because if a beach has enough reef to draw in a bunch of sea life and interesting things for snorkeling, it's not likely to make a good swimming beach. Snorkeling in barbados off the boatyard however, seems to consistently have sea turtles.

Right now my planned beaches are

St Croix- Sand Castle Beach

St Marten- Simpson Bay or Mullet

Antigua- Jolly Beach

St Lucia- Already booked an excursion

Barbados- Suggestions?

In Barbados, we've done Boatyard Beach several times and enjoyed it.

We did Mullet Bay (pretty good snorkeling by the rocks); no great snorkeling at Jolly Beach but it was beautiful, we just took frisbees and float mats; Boatyard at Barbados (found Mitch and Neville to take us out to the turtles); Spencer Ambrose tour with great snorkeling at St. Lucia; didn't do St. Croix this time but snorkeled at Rainbow when we were there a few years ago. Have fun!!

In Barbados we did Calabaza Catamaran sail and it was amazing. We had 2 snorkel stops, one where it was very common to see sea turtles and the other had two shiprecks. Really cool stuff. I'd say in the 100-200 yards out from the beach distance, so probably not doable from shore. Pretty strong current.

We took the Spencer Ambrose tour in 2011 and used our own gear. This time he had some, but had to go get it after he dropped us off at Jalousie. We had a large group using up most of his, so we just used our own because we knew everything fit us correctly. We also were able to start snorkeling right away while he was gone retrieving everything!

This will be our third southern Caribbean cruise and we've visited most of these islands before. We always bring our own gear but NOT our flippers. It lightens our load and we find we can get by wearing our Chacos in the water. I don't mind borrowing flippers on excursions but mask and snorkel; no way:).

Each island has great snorkeling from local beaches so I concur that looking into each ports suggested beach snorkeling sites would be a great idea. Have fun!

Edited by borcherk

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from B2B. We went swimming at the beach next to the pier in St. Croix. The water is just so clear and even in the shallower water we could see small fish swimming around our legs. So if there are any small children with you, get them a mask (and snorkel even) for this beach. They'll love looking at the fish.

As someone else said the water in Antigua is not as clear. We thought it was just that day but I see from comments that it is always a bit murky.

Right now my planned beaches are

St Croix- Sand Castle Beach

St Marten- Simpson Bay or Mullet

Antigua- Jolly Beach

St Lucia- Already booked an excursion

Barbados- Suggestions?

We like Accra Beach in Barbados. Not a ton of snorkeling though. We have also been to The Boatyard many times and it is nice. not really a snorkeling beach either but they used to offer trips off the beach out to the reefs. Not sure if they still do or not. Have not been to Boatyard in a while as we now always go to Accru and the Tiki Hut.

The best snorkeling we've had from a beach in the Southern Caribbean was in Curacao.

The best snorkeling we've had from an excursion in the Southern Caribbean was in Bonaire.

Do you remember what beach on Curacao? Did you take a taxi there?

DW and I bring our own masks because they are group to our RX, but leave the fins behind because of the space and weight considerations.

I agree about leaving the fins behind. We brought ours and used them a couple times but took them off because we found them to be unnecessary. I also had to take them out of my bag on the way home and carry them on the plane to get my bag Below the 50 pound limit :)

I won't snorkel w/o my fins, just way too much work. So if we do take them, we take everything - fins, snorkel, masks, blow up life jackets, snorkel bag

But as a rule, we don't take them anymore to the Southern Caribbean. We take it to CocoCay or other cruises we don't have to fly

But we do pack and take it every year to Punta Cana. But then again I don't have to worry about "formal wear" there so still get everything in the 2 checked and 2 carry ons.