Autograph service being discontinued

Got2GoGo

Doesn't matter - the contract allows the line to change the rules unilaterally at any time. No transport contract is written to favor the passenger.

Tomorrow, Disney could announce that they are removing all character appearances and shows, changing all restaurants to buffet and entertainment will consist only of big band music.

They'd still be within terms of contract, legally speaking.

The contract pretty much only requires them to provide housing, food and basic services for the correct number of nights, none of those are defined.

Lines like this for example:

"THE CARRIER DOES NOT EXPRESSLY OR IMPLIEDLY WARRANT, AND SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY AS TO, (a) THE FITNESS, CONDITION OR SEAWORTHINESS OF THE VESSEL AND (b) THE FITNESS, CONDITION OR MERCHANTABILITY OF ANY FOOD OR DRINK PROVIDED ON BOARD THE VESSEL. THE CARRIER SHALL NOT BE STRICTLY LIABLE IN TORT FOR ANY DEFECT, LACK OF FITNESS, IMPURITY OR CONTAMINATION OF ANY FOOD OR DRINK PROVIDED ON BOARD THE VESSEL."

or

"GUEST AGREES THAT ALL CONCESSIONAIRES AND THEIR EMPLOYEES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO JEWELRY, SPA, MASSAGE, HAIR STYLING, MANICURES, PHOTOGRAPHY, INTERNET ACCESS, WIRELESS ACCESS, ART AUCTIONS OR INSTRUCTIONAL CONCESSIONS ABOARD THE VESSEL, ARE INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS AND WORK DIRECTLY FOR THE GUEST WHEN PERFORMING THEIR SERVICES. THE CARRIER IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SUCH PERSON'S ACTS OR OMISSIONS IN PROVIDING GOODS OR SERVICES TO THE GUEST."

and of course, the get out of contract free card:

"Guest agrees to abide by all the Carrier's rules and regulations and all orders and directions of the Vessel's officers or medical personnel, or any officer purporting to represent any government."

In this case, the new policy is a rule and regulation and thus is part of the contract. The contract does not specifically state 'at time of booking' for this reason.

It was an offered amenity that I received on my first cruise and that was still offered when I booked the cruise and after final payment. If you're happy paying for something only to have it taken away thats great. I'm sure I'll still have a very Disney cruise with or without the signatures.

It was a FREE service. No one has lost any value.

It was an offered service included in the base fare available to everyone that knew about it.

It was an unofficial service offered. It was never advertised by DCL in the Navigator or website.

Having items signed was never part of the cruise contract, nothing was altered.

I totally agree and it is absurd no matter how disappointing the withdrawal is to suggest that the cruise contract has been altered in anyway.

It was a FREE service. No one has lost any value.

Again, I agree. There was no charge, so there is no monetary value lost.

Whilst I understand some people's disappointment, because of fools wanting to bring anchors and table lamps onboard to be signed and the ever increasing expectations along with increasing demands that have most likely lead to this decision being taken.

So if people want to be angry with anyone, their anger should be directed towards the entitled and unrealistic people, not DCL.

If you want to read more about them, check out the comments section of Scotts blog. You may want to be sitting down.....

ex techie

I was hoping to get mats (for a 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 picture) signed for my grandchildren and then have a picture of them from the cruise put in the frame with it as a memory of the cruise for each of them.

Any chance we can take those instead of an autograph book to the signings with the characters. (Actually, it would mean even more that way if they actually saw the character sign)

I was hoping to get mats (for a 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 picture) signed for my grandchildren and then have a picture of them from the cruise put in the frame with it as a memory of the cruise for each of them.

Any chance we can take those instead of an autograph book to the signings with the characters. (Actually, it would mean even more that way if they actually saw the character sign)

As I said above, if the report from someone speaking to shoreside Guest Services is correct, then unfortunately no. Autograph books only.

The picture in the frame with the Character is still the same memory from the cruise right?

And as you have 6 grandkids, I'm sure you can appreciate the extra work load 6 x all of the signatures puts on the Character CM's. And whilst that is a lovely thing to do for your grandkids, it's just not a reasonable or sustainable service with Guests to request such things!

Nor would it be appropriate to take 6 x photo mats to a character meet and greet and get the Character to sign each one.

ex techie

The only other suggestion I have for your case chamima is to get each of the signatures in an autograph book, take it along with the digital photo of the kids and get the signatures printed on a border around the photo by the company printing it, then framed when you get back home?

ex techie

As I said above, if the report from someone speaking to shoreside Guest Services is correct, then unfortunately no. Autograph books only.

The picture in the frame with the Character is still the same memory from the cruise right?

And as you have 6 grandkids, I'm sure you can appreciate the extra work load 6 x all of the signatures puts on the Character CM's. And whilst that is a lovely thing to do for your grandkids, it's just not a reasonable or sustainable service with Guests to request such things!

Nor would it be appropriate to take 6 x photo mats to a character meet and greet and get the Character to sign each one.

ex techie

Maybe I should have explained further - we're taking ALL 6 (and their parents) on the cruise with us.

My 6 in the line to get the autographs are the same as 6 kids who aren't related.

Not sure how to execute your suggestion in the last post but maybe one of my children will know.

Edited by chamima

Maybe I should have explained further - we're taking ALL 6 (and their parents) on the cruise with us.

My 6 in the line to get the autographs are the same as 6 kids who aren't related.

Not sure how to execute your suggestion in the last post but maybe one of my children will know.

OK I get that all 6 would be in line.

An autograph book generally has a hard cover to allow someone or someone as a person or a person as a Character to have something to press down on to sign as you know. A photo mat is not rigid in the same sense and would need to be placed on a hard surface such as a table to be written on.

So unless each kid is going to give the Character a photo mat to sign (which will be difficult for them to hold without it being creased or bent by their thick gloved hands) and since you say only a 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 picture, unless that photo mat is very oversized for the small photo insert, it will be very difficult for them to accurately hold a marker pen in a thick gloved hand and sign around the edges that will be still exposed by the picture frame without part of the signature being obscured. Remember the Characters are looking through their mouths and a mesh generally.

I hope that better explains what I'm try to say.

That and if that is the only thing they will be asking to be signed. Will their parents also be bringing other things for the Characters to sign?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

OK I get that all 6 would be in line.

An autograph book generally has a hard cover to allow someone or someone as a person or a person as a Character to have something to press down on to sign as you know. A photo mat is not rigid in the same sense and would need to be placed on a hard surface such as a table to be written on.

So unless each kid is going to give the Character a photo mat to sign (which will be difficult for them to hold without it being creased or bent by their thick gloved hands) and since you say only a 4 x 6 or 5 x 7 picture, unless that photo mat is very oversized for the small photo insert, it will be very difficult for them to accurately hold a marker pen in a thick gloved hand and sign around the edges that will be still exposed by the picture frame without part of the signature being obscured. Remember the Characters are looking through their mouths and a mesh generally.

I hope that better explains what I'm try to say.

That and if that is the only thing they will be asking to be signed. Will their parents also be bringing other things for the Characters to sign?

ex techie

I was thinking of something like this.

Maybe trying to put the mat over the glass to get it signed to give it something substantial as backing .

I didn't think about those thick gloves! (I guess when things are signed in private that isn't a problem!) ;)

And, no, the adults aren't going to want anything for themselves.

DCLBlog_SGS_8621_DCL-Mickey-Mail-Autographed-Picture-Frame-500x332.jpg

I will try to figure out a way to execute your other suggestion.

I was thinking of something like this.

Maybe trying to put the mat over the glass to get it signed to give it something substantial as backing .

I didn't think about those thick gloves! (I guess when things are signed in private that isn't a problem!) ;)

And, no, the adults aren't going to want anything for themselves.

I will try to figure out a way to execute your other suggestion.

Glad we got some clear communication in the end! :)

When I was aboard, the Characters would sign the items in the "Zoo" in between appearances whilst they were cooling down and rehydrating. Paid time, but supposed to be resting time. And yes they could take most of their costuming off, and do it in their under layer wear.

The one thing that does slightly bother me only very very slightly is the suggestion on some boards that it isn't the trained Characters that write the signatures, but some pot washers earning some overtime. Disney would never allow the integrity of the signatures to be that way. No one was to even write in a styized Disney type font unless they were trained to do so. I honestly don't know if that is still the case, but I DO NOT believe they allow just anyone to sign Character signatures unless they have been through some very intensive training to do so even now. It would be detrimental to the brand.

And there are comments that the signatures weren't correct or true to the Character. Well thats probably because they were being expected (not forced) to sign random items on what probably ended up as a large production line of tired and sweaty Character CM's.

But I didn't mean the adult wanting things signed, I meant the kids. Such as those figurines, baseball caps etc. I think one signature per person is the max that should be allowed.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I meant to say earlier that as long as you get the signatures on white paper, anyone with photoshop or similar computer program will be able to scan the sigs and place them around the cut out for the photo.

HTH's

ex techie

Sign it yourself; that would be no different than some random cast member doing it.

Good idea.

I often chuckle about people that stand in long lines at parks to met some random actress dressed as a cartoon character from a film. They act as though they are meeting the actual celluloid.

Good idea.

I often chuckle about people that stand in long lines at parks to met some random actress dressed as a cartoon character from a film. They act as though they are meeting the actual celluloid.

Adults, yes.

But the kids DO think they're meeting the actual character.

(And if you tell them differently you'll have Grandma's wrath to deal with! :eek: )

I don't know, I think as Disney Cruise Line chips away at some of the things that makes it different (special, magical, whatever you want to call it) and continues with it's higher and higher pricing, it's becoming less enticing to people who aren't blinded by pixie dust.

Disney could have chosen to make this an official service with set parameters, but instead chose to discontinue it. Same with the character breakfast - Don't tell me that with a company as large and as creative as DCL, couldn't figure out a solution for the bigger ships or even for cruises with less than 3 sea days.

As DCL chips away at the magical moments that every guest could look forward it makes it less enticing for me. I'm not one to only sail DCL but I do add it into the mix for the occasional touch of Disney Magic. If too many of the special things go away, there won't be much of an incentive to sail with them any more over other cruise lines.

The one thing that does slightly bother me only very very slightly is the suggestion on some boards that it isn't the trained Characters that write the signatures, but some pot washers earning some overtime. Disney would never allow the integrity of the signatures to be that way.

Sorry Techie but I too am a past CM (over twenty two years) and worked at one of the WDW resorts for several years. Autographed character photos were given to kids for special occasions and I personally witnessed that they were signed by any CM that could replicate the particular character signature, even the "pot washer", which by the way, is where I started my career with the company.;)

Sorry Techie but I too am a past CM (over twenty two years) and worked at one of the WDW resorts for several years. Autographed character photos were given to kids for special occasions and I personally witnessed that they were signed by any CM that could replicate the particular character signature, even the "pot washer", which by the way, is where I started my career with the company.;)

Perhaps the rules were different in the parks/resorts than on the ships? I don't know, just a guess.

Good idea.

We did the whole autograph thing when our son was younger but as he got older he didn't want to do it so we stopped. We sometimes will still do pictures with the characters but only if the line is non-existent.

On our DCL cruise, we spent no time waiting in line for the characters at all.

The ships are less likely to have multiple trained people to do a signature, but if the character taught someone in the kitchen crew, as long as they could do it correctly, no reason they shouldn't be able to.

I know at the parks they used to run workshops for interested staff (never hurts to have a larger talent pool)

Perhaps the rules were different in the parks/resorts than on the ships? I don't know' date=' just a guess.[/quote']

I can't comment on what happens in the parks, only what happened on the ships.

As I said in my previous post, but it was not included in your quote of mine, unless you had been trained to faithfully and accurately replicate the signatures, you were not allowed to sign them nor would you be asked to.

ex techie

The ships are less likely to have multiple trained people to do a signature, but if the character taught someone in the kitchen crew, as long as they could do it correctly, no reason they shouldn't be able to.

I know at the parks they used to run workshops for interested staff (never hurts to have a larger talent pool)

Whilst I agree in theory that could work, that is not how it was on the ships. The CM would have to be trained by someone of authority, such as the Character Manager of shoreside to ensure consistency and accuracy.

It does make sense in the parks where as you say they have a larger pool of labor to draw from and less restrictive working time laws.

ex techie

I don't know, I think as Disney Cruise Line chips away at some of the things that makes it different (special, magical, whatever you want to call it) and continues with it's higher and higher pricing, it's becoming less enticing to people who aren't blinded by pixie dust.

Disney could have chosen to make this an official service with set parameters, but instead chose to discontinue it. Same with the character breakfast - Don't tell me that with a company as large and as creative as DCL, couldn't figure out a solution for the bigger ships or even for cruises with less than 3 sea days.

As DCL chips away at the magical moments that every guest could look forward it makes it less enticing for me. I'm not one to only sail DCL but I do add it into the mix for the occasional touch of Disney Magic. If too many of the special things go away, there won't be much of an incentive to sail with them any more over other cruise lines.

I think, in time, they will introduce it as a paid service. The fee of $25 has been mentioned on other boards. And they could utilise shoreside to have the items signed whilst the ship is at sea and returned the morning of debark if they still deem the workload too high to handle.

I believe they have trialled Character breakfasts on the Dream or Fantasy since their launch. Not sure what became of them though?

ex techie

One issue I can see with character breakfasts is the layout. The MDRs are more tight than the land based ones, which are able to charge a premium because of the characters and thus less chairs are ok.

Face characters might work, but it's hard enough for fur characters when there IS space because of all the people moving around (I've seen some brutal collisions)

I think, in time, they will introduce it as a paid service. The fee of $25 has been mentioned on other boards. And they could utilise shoreside to have the items signed whilst the ship is at sea and returned the morning of debark if they still deem the workload too high to handle.

I believe they have trialled Character breakfasts on the Dream or Fantasy since their launch. Not sure what became of them though?

ex techie

One issue I can see with character breakfasts is the layout. The MDRs are more tight than the land based ones, which are able to charge a premium because of the characters and thus less chairs are ok.

Face characters might work, but it's hard enough for fur characters when there IS space because of all the people moving around (I've seen some brutal collisions)

I totally agree.

I think meatloafsfan was frustrated about the lack of Character breakfast on the Dream Class, because they offer it on the Magic class.

Ultimately, it boils down to ship design and layout IMO.

ex techie

Character breakfasts on the ships are totally different than on land. On the ship, everyone comes in at the same time, the characters move around as quickly as possible, and are gone. We've been thru several variations--where they danced around but didn't visit the tables, they did visit tables but no autographs (only quick photo), etc. On ALL ships, the tables are close but on the Dream class they are packed. Also, the servers get into the act by making napkin hats, etc--keeping guests occupied and happy while waiting for characters.

On land, people are seated at all different times, a couple characters come out for 15 minutes and visit a section of tables, then disappear and another set of characters appears. Guests are welcome to sit as long as they wish, and certainly long enough to see each of the characters. We've learned that going early or about an hour before the breakfast ends is best as the place is not crowded and the characters take a lot more time to visit with the kids, play with them, etc. There is a lot more room between tables to allow space for the characters.

The experience is much better on land, but the price is quite significant. And yes, I'm familiar with at least two separate times when there was some experimentation with a character breakfast on the Dream class ships. I'm not sure what the final verdict was. However, I can certainly see the safety issues, particularly on the bigger ships. They are hazardous enough at dinner when some parents can't manage to keep their progeny seated at the table but rather choose to allow them to run around the dining room! We saw several collisions and near collisions during our most recent week on the Fantasy.

Character breakfasts on the ships are totally different than on land. On the ship' date=' everyone comes in at the same time, the characters move around as quickly as possible, and are gone. We've been thru several variations--where they danced around but didn't visit the tables, they did visit tables but no autographs (only quick photo), etc. On ALL ships, the tables are close but on the Dream class they are packed. Also, the servers get into the act by making napkin hats, etc--keeping guests occupied and happy while waiting for characters.

On land, people are seated at all different times, a couple characters come out for 15 minutes and visit a section of tables, then disappear and another set of characters appears. Guests are welcome to sit as long as they wish, and certainly long enough to see each of the characters. We've learned that going early or about an hour before the breakfast ends is best as the place is not crowded and the characters take a lot more time to visit with the kids, play with them, etc. There is a lot more room between tables to allow space for the characters.

The experience is much better on land, but the price is quite significant. And yes, I'm familiar with at least two separate times when there was some experimentation with a character breakfast on the Dream class ships. I'm not sure what the final verdict was. However, I can certainly see the safety issues, particularly on the bigger ships. They are hazardous enough at dinner when some parents can't manage to keep their progeny seated at the table but rather choose to allow them to run around the dining room! We saw several collisions and near collisions during our most recent week on the Fantasy.[/quote']

Again I agree with the post above.

Especially with the children let loose to run around even on the Magic class ships.

Parenting on a Disney ship does seem to end at the terminal for some.

It will be interesting to see if the designers and Imagineers learn from their mistakes of the Dream class on the new builds. It is obvious they have made a hash of the dining rooms with reports of them being too small to comfortably accommodate the number of Guests, but at the same time too large to provide great service with servers having to go too far to get the food. That and the noise.

I doubt they would consider each MDR being divided, but smaller MDR's as the Magic class has seem to work, so maybe more MDR's to rotate through?

And on a short cruise it is pot luck. No choice, you just get assigned?

ex techie