Autograph service being discontinued

Got2GoGo

And his initials are KH. Sorry' date=' there have been precious few changes that I've liked since Mr. ABD was put in charge of the cruise line as well. That's when the cruise line, the only part of the empire that has always made a profit, began to be treated as a poor stepchild.[/quote']

I'm starting to agree with your opinion. It does sound that way.

Except, poorly teated stepchild, but with a cashflow that KH likes...

ex techie

The Disney empire doesn't do a really good job of understanding how the various parts influence each other. For instance, on the 2005 Panama crossing, I mentioned to the president of the cruise line that I hoped the line was getting credit for some of the increased visitor level at Disneyland. He looked at me blankly, and asked why would they? I explained that BECAUSE we were doing the cruise, we had added 3 pre-days at Disneyland...buying park tickets, staying at their hotel, riding their bus, eating their food, etc. and that we would never have done a trip to California just for the purpose of going to Disneyland. The purpose of the trip was the cruise. The 3 additional days were just a nice add on, so the cruise attracted us to the park.

On the other hand, the ABD add ons that are available on some cruises are one example of good interaction...but why limit it to just the few cruises where it is offered? Do they think it will not sell on a Bahamian/Caribbean cruise? I don't know, but I think there is always that group of guests who want to book a seamless, high end, totally "wait on us" experience and don't mind the associated upcharge. Perhaps ABD hasn't been able to figure out what experience they can offer in these ports. On ONE cruise we did they had an ABD rep at a desk near the future cruise desk. Nice guy, but must not have done much booking because he wasn't around by our next cruise. Do they think that they don't need to advertise? But every time I open Facebook, I get DCL ads, and those I really don't need.

Enough grousing....remember, this is the company that sold off some of the land that the founder worked so hard to acquire. What can you say?

I think the management shoreside are too busy shuffling money around to suit their financial reports, and are that disconnected that they just see numbers or are told to sign here, here and here, to actually know how the business perform on a Guest level.

Such a shame.

ex techie

The Disney empire doesn't do a really good job of understanding how the various parts influence each other. For instance' date=' on the 2005 Panama crossing, I mentioned to the president of the cruise line that I hoped the line was getting credit for some of the increased visitor level at Disneyland. He looked at me blankly, and asked why would they? I explained that BECAUSE we were doing the cruise, we had added 3 pre-days at Disneyland...buying park tickets, staying at their hotel, riding their bus, eating their food, etc. and that we would never have done a trip to California just for the purpose of going to Disneyland. The purpose of the trip was the cruise. The 3 additional days were just a nice add on, so the cruise attracted us to the park.

On the other hand, the ABD add ons that are available on some cruises are one example of good interaction...but why limit it to just the few cruises where it is offered? Do they think it will not sell on a Bahamian/Caribbean cruise? I don't know, but I think there is always that group of guests who want to book a seamless, high end, totally "wait on us" experience and don't mind the associated upcharge. Perhaps ABD hasn't been able to figure out what experience they can offer in these ports. On ONE cruise we did they had an ABD rep at a desk near the future cruise desk. Nice guy, but must not have done much booking because he wasn't around by our next cruise. Do they think that they don't need to advertise? But every time I open Facebook, I get DCL ads, and those I really don't need.

Enough grousing....remember, this is the company that sold off some of the land that the founder worked so hard to acquire. What can you say?[/quote']

I highly doubt any increased attendance at Disneyland would be even noticed by the addition of DCL cruises through the Panama Canal.

Seriously? I would like to be there when Cinderella tells a small child that she cannot sign a Buzz Lightyear item. :eek:

I've never done the meet n greet -- for those who have, do you really think Disney will employ staff to vet your item to be signed? I also wonder how many people read up on the exact rules for autograph signings. Turning away people from having their non-Disney pillowcase from being signed seems like bad PR to me.

I'll see what my contact knows.

Those rules have been in place for ages at the parks. It's well know that they can make exceptions as needed, but the official rules are there to make sure they have a leg to stand on when they do say no. The biggest problems are non-Disney items (please sign my Minion!) and odd size/shape items that are hard for them to sign without a table.

Seriously? I would like to be there when Cinderella tells a small child that she cannot sign a Buzz Lightyear item. :eek:

I've never done the meet n greet -- for those who have, do you really think Disney will employ staff to vet your item to be signed? I also wonder how many people read up on the exact rules for autograph signings. Turning away people from having their non-Disney pillowcase from being signed seems like bad PR to me.

Able to sign:

*Any autograph book

*Disney branded items that are appropriate to that character. For

example, Cinderella would not be able to sign a Buzz Lightyear item.

*Disney stationery

*Disney approved photos - only characters in photo can sign the photo

*Disney notecards

*Disney Dollars - once signed would become souvenirs (no longer legal

tender)

*Clothing - must not be worn when signed

Not able to sign:

*Flags of any nations

*Receipts / banking slips

*Money

*Skin

*Non-Disney merchandise

*Non-family friendly / obscene items

I also think the list leaves them a lot of leeway to use discretion while protecting them from signing blatantly illegal items. (?money?)

Notice the open ended "clothing" item.

I, for one , will be on the lookout for a Disney frame with a large white matting. (Actually, 6 of them!) ;) .. :D

EDIT: Not so hard to find

https://www.etsy.com/listing/239463409/disney-autograph-book-alternative-photo

il_570xN.650435520_lu0m.jpg

Edited by chamima

"IF" that email is the policy, then I don't see what the problem is?

The Characters wouldn't say no. The Character handlers with them may be required to check the items to be signed so no need to employ additional CM's?

Are the pillowcases popular in the Parks or is that mostly a DCL thing?

If they publish a set of rules on line, maybe send a copy out in the Welcome packs, then the onus is on the Guest to make sure they are informed. Disney and DCL have made that information available, if the Guest choses to read it or not.

ex techie

I, for one , will be on the lookout for a Disney frame with a large white matting. (Actually, 6 of them!) ;) .. :D

EDIT: Not so hard to find

Just checking that you know that photo mat is not official Disney Merchandise right and they are most likely using the Disney logo without consent?

Thats the only issue I can see possibly being brought up.

ex techie

Not only would I not have cared one bit if my markers had not been returned, I took my photo mats & markers to Guest Services along with 4 bags of candy (fun sizes like you buy for Halloween) and several multi-packs of gum. I also went back to Guest Services to pick up my mats when they were finished.

I considered the Mickey Mail autograph service a huge bonus, so I wanted to show my appreciation to the CMs stuck around a table signing autograph after autograph. The CM who took the candy, mats, etc. from me was all smiles and thanked me for the treats. It was the least I could do!

To me, having photo mats autographed was a once and done thing. I don't feel the need to have other types of articles signed, nor deem it necessary (or appropriate) to request this [free] service more than once - ever.

Not only would I not have cared one bit if my markers had not been returned, I took my photo mats & markers to Guest Services along with 4 bags of candy (fun sizes like you buy for Halloween) and several multi-packs of gum. I also went back to Guest Services to pick up my mats when they were finished.

I considered the Mickey Mail autograph service a huge bonus, so I wanted to show my appreciation to the CMs stuck around a table signing autograph after autograph. The CM who took the candy, mats, etc. from me was all smiles and thanked me for the treats. It was the least I could do!

To me, having photo mats autographed was a once and done thing. I don't feel the need to have other types of articles signed, nor deem it necessary (or appropriate) to request this [free] service more than once - ever.

But you are a kind, thoughtful person who showed appreciation for the service. Not everyone is like that. Yes, many people bring a bag of candy or other treat for the gang doing the work...but GS also gets complaints about missing markers, items not to the guest's specifications, etc.

Bottom line--the service is gone. We'll have to see what the enforced policy is as far as items at meet and greets. With many things, there is a difference between written policy and enforced policy. Time will tell......

But you are a kind' date=' thoughtful person who showed appreciation for the service. Not everyone is like that. Yes, many people bring a bag of candy or other treat for the gang doing the work...but GS also gets complaints about missing markers, items not to the guest's specifications, etc.

Bottom line--the service is gone. We'll have to see what the enforced policy is as far as items at meet and greets. With many things, there is a difference between written policy and enforced policy. Time will tell......[/quote']

As I stated earlier in this thread, I think the whole rationale behind the change is abuse and burden on GS staff. The whole autograph thing of Disney characters is kind of surreal to me. I hope people know that there's no such thing as Mickey or Minnie signing things off. Probably some poor sap signing stuff away in the back rooms.

Edited by coldflame

But you are a kind' date=' thoughtful person who showed appreciation for the service. Not everyone is like that. Yes, many people bring a bag of candy or other treat for the gang doing the work...but GS also gets complaints about missing markers, items not to the guest's specifications, etc.

Bottom line--the service is gone. We'll have to see what the enforced policy is as far as items at meet and greets. With many things, there is a difference between written policy and enforced policy. Time will tell......[/quote']

Agree with all above, and especially the part about how time will tell how they handle policy and actually implement it aboard.

And then any changes they make when the inevitable complaints start pouring in and adult meltdowns at GS.

I honestly do think that the adults have more emotion invested in this activity than the kids sometimes.

ex techie

I believe this has been stopped because it got outta hand. So many guests started bringing so many different and odd items to be signed.

DCL could have easily made the whole perk a pay for event, but they choice to just shut it down! It was just getting to hard to mange.

Mickey and Minnie likely said enough is enough!;)

AKK

I believe this has been stopped because it got outta hand. So many guests started bringing so many different and odd items to be signed.

DCL could have easily made the whole perk a pay for event' date=' but they choice to just shut it down! It was just getting to hard to mange.

AKK[/quote']

I agree Skipper!

ex techie

Thank you for your compliment, Moki'smommy! I wasn't trying to toot my own horn as much as illustrate my appreciation for the CMs doing the signing and everything else that made Mickey Mail possible. I agree that abuse likely led to discontinuing this FREE service.

DCL could have easily made the whole perk a pay for event' date=' but they choice to just shut it down! It was just getting to hard to mange.

AKK[/quote']

So my rabid service ferret was a bit much to ask for them to sign? Reminds me of an meme whos text reads "This is why we can't have nice things".

I'm just pointing out that it's one more thing that DCL used to do but doesn't anymore and IMHO, impacts on what I see as the value of a DCL cruise.

And again, I find it difficult to believe that a company that could figure out how to put the AquaDuck on a Dream class ship can't figure out how to hold a character breakfast on that same ship.

DCL fans just keep drinking the Mickey Kool-Aid, "It's okay to take stuff away. It's actually our (collective) fault for utilizing the stuff they were offering. Poor DCL." Just wait until they once again try to limit the alcohol a person can bring onboard. Then they'll be an outcry!

You can take away our Magical Experiences but don't you dare try to tell me I can't bring a few 40 ouncers and a couple cases of beer onboard!!!!!!!

They did limit the alcohol allowed to be brought on board. there was a big outcry, they backed off.

I think that it was a shot across the bow to those abusing the privelege by bringing booze up to the pool deck and taking wine into the dining rooms.

They did limit the alcohol allowed to be brought on board. there was a big outcry, they backed off.

I think that it was a shot across the bow to those abusing the privelege by bringing booze up to the pool deck and taking wine into the dining rooms.

Host Mick, you are correct. The alcohol limitation occurred immediately after an episode of a group bringing a cooler of alcohol to the pool deck and becoming obnoxious. DCL suddenly started enforcing the rules about coolers and limited alcohol. Due to huge guest complaints, the alcohol limitation was removed, but coolers remain strictly regulated.

I have never seen anything said about a glass of wine being brought into a dining room or anywhere else. Bring more than a single glass and expect to pay a corkage fee. I do realize that the rule says "for consumption in your cabin," and DCL is well aware that many guests do not follow that rule. But blatant abuse or inappropriate behavior will be dealt with using the "violation of policy" reason rather than saying "drunk and disorderly."

My contact says that there hasn't been a change in the types of items that can be signed onboard. Plain (ie, not Disney branded) pillowcases and picture frames/photo mats are perfectly acceptable.

I take this to mean the characters will sign reasonable/logical items. They can't sign obvious no-nos (like skin, obscene items, receipts or merchandise from competing brands -- like that email said), but a plain item that is signable is acceptable, even if not purchased through Disney. Use good judgment and likely no one will call you on it. And if you're worried, bring an autograph book as backup.