Autograph service being discontinued

Got2GoGo

The dining rooms on the new ships are a lot like those on other lines that have one "main" dining room which is included in the cruise fare. These are huge rooms, but didn't have the noise factor that we encountered on the Fantasy.

There are wall coverings and other materials with sound absorbing properties. They LOOK like normal wall coverings but serve an additional purpose of containing the sound in a small space, eliminating the echo characteristics of a big room, etc. I honestly don't understand why a sound engineer wasn't part of the development team as this could have made a huge improvement in the dining areas.

The dining rooms on the new ships are a lot like those on other lines that have one "main" dining room which is included in the cruise fare. These are huge rooms' date=' but didn't have the noise factor that we encountered on the Fantasy.

There are wall coverings and other materials with sound absorbing properties. They LOOK like normal wall coverings but serve an additional purpose of containing the sound in a small space, eliminating the echo characteristics of a big room, etc. I honestly don't understand why a sound engineer wasn't part of the development team as this could have made a huge improvement in the dining areas.[/quote']

Because it's Disney and they know best ;)

Because they have no experience in large dining rooms aboard ships. Only on land. And on land you can use a lot more products than you can on a ship. That is not to say something used on land is not appropriate or viable on a ship to meet regulations. It just has to pass the approval of the Imagineering dept and them allow it to be considered in the design.

Anyone can say what they want about Carnival, HAL, NCL or RCI, but they seem to make it work to a certain level. And then as you have posted before, DCL put someone who's main interest is in ABD and the parks in charge of DCL.....

Karl needs to step down, and DCL needs someone with their own main focus and only focus to be on it to remain the cash cow it once was offering still above industry average vacations but yet still affordable. In that way they could increase the fleet, their revenue and place in the market. As it stands, it is becoming an elitist cruise vacation, and alienating money that could be forthcoming.

Maybe not at as higher price per passenger than currently, but still higher than the industry average on a base fare, and overall better for the company.

ex techie

If they do another size increase, I see 4 MDRs focused around 2 main galleys....

Again I agree with the post above.

Especially with the children let loose to run around even on the Magic class ships.

Parenting on a Disney ship does seem to end at the terminal for some.

It will be interesting to see if the designers and Imagineers learn from their mistakes of the Dream class on the new builds. It is obvious they have made a hash of the dining rooms with reports of them being too small to comfortably accommodate the number of Guests, but at the same time too large to provide great service with servers having to go too far to get the food. That and the noise.

I doubt they would consider each MDR being divided, but smaller MDR's as the Magic class has seem to work, so maybe more MDR's to rotate through?

And on a short cruise it is pot luck. No choice, you just get assigned?

ex techie

If they do another size increase, I see 4 MDRs focused around 2 main galleys....

Actually, what I've seen projected is 2 new ships of a size between the Magic and the Fantasy. I don't recall any specific quotation on number of passengers, but again, between the 2700 and 4000 point. I have never seen or read anything about making some behemoth.

There are a lot of people out there who feel the Fantasy is "too big" and "not as friendly as the Magic."

I really hope they wouldn't increase the size of the ships beyond the Dream class.

They haven't done a great job of the Dream class IMO. External atheistic's (weird curvy waist line) and layout.

I think they should have 6 Magic sized MDR's a ship with the dimensions of the Dream class. Keep it smaller and more intimate.

Reduce it to 4 or 5 on a class that has been speculated as an in-between the Magic and Dream.

That said, Animators Palate novelty has worn off hence Crush and the Mickey animation being added.

Enchanted Garden, Royal Palace, nice idea and similar concept. Carioca's..... that was a fail in concept!

They are even too embarrassed to show the real after pictures of what it really looks like on the website!

PCL326987LARGE.jpg

Cariocas-Restaurant.jpg

Cariocas-01.jpg

Look at how much lower the ceiling is in Pic 3 from the impression they gave in Pic 1 of the main tiled walkway!

ex techie

I totally agree.

I think meatloafsfan was frustrated about the lack of Character breakfast on the Dream Class, because they offer it on the Magic class.

Ultimately, it boils down to ship design and layout IMO.

ex techie

I'm just pointing out that it's one more thing that DCL used to do but doesn't anymore and IMHO, impacts on what I see as the value of a DCL cruise.

And again, I find it difficult to believe that a company that could figure out how to put the AquaDuck on a Dream class ship can't figure out how to hold a character breakfast on that same ship.

DCL fans just keep drinking the Mickey Kool-Aid, "It's okay to take stuff away. It's actually our (collective) fault for utilizing the stuff they were offering. Poor DCL." Just wait until they once again try to limit the alcohol a person can bring onboard. Then they'll be an outcry!

You can take away our Magical Experiences but don't you dare try to tell me I can't bring a few 40 ouncers and a couple cases of beer onboard!!!!!!!

The dining rooms on the new ships are a lot like those on other lines that have one "main" dining room which is included in the cruise fare. These are huge rooms' date=' but didn't have [b']the noise factor that we encountered on the Fantasy.[/b]

There are wall coverings and other materials with sound absorbing properties. They LOOK like normal wall coverings but serve an additional purpose of containing the sound in a small space, eliminating the echo characteristics of a big room, etc. I honestly don't understand why a sound engineer wasn't part of the development team as this could have made a huge improvement in the dining areas.

One of the things we like about Princess over Celebrity is that there are 3 dining rooms (vs. one large two story one on Celebrity).

You've got me a little nervous about our upcoming cruise on the Fantasy.

I do realize this will be a ship full of small children but a lot of echoey noise will be really uncomfortable! :(

DCL." Just wait until they once again try to limit the alcohol a person can bring onboard. Then they'll be an outcry!

You can take away our Magical Experiences but don't you dare try to tell me I can't bring a few 40 ouncers and a couple cases of beer onboard!!!!!!!

THey did that once with almost no notice to guests. It lasted less than 6 weeks. And yes, there was huge outcry which resulted in the alcohol policy being re-instated, but with strict enforcement of the cooler policy and the "we will confiscate if we catch it in checked baggage" policy.

By the way, I asked around. You don't have to be a character actor to do signings, but you DO have to go through the official training (not sure exactly when and where that is done for DCL staff).

So the pot washer scenario, while unlikely, is at least possible.

By the way, I asked around. You don't have to be a character actor to do signings, but you DO have to go through the official training (not sure exactly when and where that is done for DCL staff).

So the pot washer scenario, while unlikely, is at least possible.

Unless it has changed recently, character training is given at WDW and initial character "on stage" experience happens in the parks. That way, if there is a problem, it can be corrected immediately rather than having to "pull" a character or deal with it on an "as is" basis until a ship docks. The characters who cruise have proved themselves on land before getting the cruise gig.

Same with signatures--training and "check out" happens in the parks. As far as I know, there is no training done for any part of the character responsibilities on the ship.

SO, you are right that anyone who has completed official training can do the signings--hence the comment in an earlier post about who signs the birthday cards. But it is incredibly unlikely that there is an officially trained and checked out person on the ship who is not in a character role. That ship's dishwasher would have to go to the park to do the training...which is not likely.

And yes, I do know a character who "washed out" on her first day at Animal Kingdom and had to be retrained.

Edited by moki'smommy

I'm just pointing out that it's one more thing that DCL used to do but doesn't anymore and IMHO, impacts on what I see as the value of a DCL cruise.

And again, I find it difficult to believe that a company that could figure out how to put the AquaDuck on a Dream class ship can't figure out how to hold a character breakfast on that same ship.

DCL fans just keep drinking the Mickey Kool-Aid, "It's okay to take stuff away. It's actually our (collective) fault for utilizing the stuff they were offering. Poor DCL." Just wait until they once again try to limit the alcohol a person can bring onboard. Then they'll be an outcry!

AFAIK they still DO offer Character breakfasts, just not on the Dream class ships and for sailings on the Magic class where there are 3 sea days or 2 sea days and a late port arrival.

If they have never offered them on the Dream class, I don't understand why you feel they are taking it away from you? I'm sure you think I am drinking the Mickey Kool-Aid, but they must have a reason why they don't offer it other than they cannot be bothered.

The way I see it is that the Dream and Fantasy have the AquaDuck, the Magic and Wonder doesn't. The Magic has the AquaDunk, The Dream and Fantasy don't and there have been no mention of adding it during their upcoming dry-docks.

I haven't seen anyone say poor DCL. I have seen people rationalize why they may have stopped offering the signing. As mentioned above, table lamps, anchors and all other sorts of weird, awkward and fragile items being given over, and possibly demand exceeding the capability to provide the service to a high enough standard along with the requirements from Guest's that this Princess uses this color sharpie and signs it in this area, this Character signs in this area but not over there etc.

Maybe it was the Guest's fault as well for expecting too much from an unofficial service? Maybe in time they will introduce it again, but with rules and restrictions? Maybe they thought it was better to stop the service completely, have a break, then reintroduce it?

You obviously feel strongly about this. Have you contacted DCL to let them know?

ex techie

FWIW, I reached out to Disney PR who confirmed no more Mickey Mail. The rep did say that they would add additional meet-and-greet autograph sessions with the characters to try to accommodate everyone, and that guests could bring anything to be signed, not just autograph books. You'll all just have to go on a cruise and report back if that's actually what's happening onboard!

I have a cruise on the Magic in November; I will be mentioning it on my cruise survey.

That's great, but that's after the fact. If you send an e-mail expressing your disappointment NOW and enough people do the same, there may be some change made before your November cruise.

FWIW, I reached out to Disney PR who confirmed no more Mickey Mail. The rep did say that they would add additional meet-and-greet autograph sessions with the characters to try to accommodate everyone, and that guests could bring anything to be signed, not just autograph books. You'll all just have to go on a cruise and report back if that's actually what's happening onboard!

If you can bring anything you want signed to a character meet and greet isn't that the best of both worlds?

The child gets to see the character actually sign their item. Isn't that a better memory than just getting the item back already signed?

If you can bring anything you want signed to a character meet and greet isn't that the best of both worlds?

The child gets to see the character actually sign their item. Isn't that a better memory than just getting the item back already signed?

It also might eliminate people choosing to bring awkward items for signatures. There is a difference between bringing an item to multiple character lines and holding it while waiting vs. a single drop of at Guest Services.

It's no wonder why they are stopping the unofficial service.

Comments like they only allow 2 items per Stateroom? But I have 3 kids!

And the items ranging from photo mats and plates, to sneakers, backpacks, quilt squares. The list is endless, and must have become an ever increasing headache for GS to deal with as more and more people requested the service. And then those that complain that a character used the wrong color or signed in the "wrong" place.

It's easy to see how a once magical special unofficial service has become expected and out of control taking up too much time.

ex techie

I'm guessing it's probably "abuse" and undue burden on the staff. Since it was a complementary service people would have all sorts of items autographed. (I saw framed artwork and floor mats being given to customer service desk personnel). :eek:

Erica, just read this on the DIS:

7/31/15...

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for choosing another Disney Cruise Line vacation!

I would be happy to assist you.

Although this was something that Disney Cruise Line did not promote, we

are no longer able to provide this service.

As I am sure you know, part of the fun in collecting Disney Character

signatures is the interaction with our World Famous Characters.

Therefore, as we continually review our offerings we have decided to

discontinue the practice of assuming responsibility for personal items

and are no longer accepting items for signatures from our Characters at

our Guest Services location.

However, we have added additional Character meet & greet opportunities,

so that Guests may meet our Characters in person and obtain their

signatures. Please stop by Guest Services or check your Personal

Navigator for the schedules and information on the various autograph

opportunities that will be taking place during your voyage.

As always, Character interactions are subject to change without notice.

For a list of items that can or cannot be signed, please note below

(subject to change):

Able to sign:

*Any autograph book

*Disney branded items that are appropriate to that character. For

example, Cinderella would not be able to sign a Buzz Lightyear item.

*Disney stationery

*Disney approved photos - only characters in photo can sign the photo

*Disney notecards

*Disney Dollars - once signed would become souvenirs (no longer legal

tender)

*Clothing - must not be worn when signed

Not able to sign:

*Flags of any nations

*Receipts / banking slips

*Money

*Skin

*Non-Disney merchandise

*Non-family friendly / obscene items

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further

assistance in planning your visit, please feel free to contact us.

We look forward to sailing with you!

Have a Magical Day!

XXXX

Email Communications Agent

Disney Cruise Line

*If applicable, please include your full name, reservation number, and

phone number on all correspondence.

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and

should be confirmed just prior to your sailing. I hope this information

has been helpful. If you require further assistance in planning your

visit, please feel free to contact us.

Seems like the confusion and misinformation is all around in the DCL offices as per usual!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I'm guessing it's probably "abuse" and undue burden on the staff. Since it was a complementary service people would have all sorts of items autographed. (I saw framed artwork and floor mats being given to customer service desk personnel). :eek:

I agree that is probably why it was stopped. Unrealistic expectations, and a large burden on the GS CM's and then the Character CM's.

It's a shame how some take their entitlement to a level that makes it unreasonable to continue and then they HAVE to discontinue it.

Still can't get over someone bringing anchors and table lamps..... REALLY!

ex techie

So, unless Disney starts selling photo mats or pillow cases, those cannot be signed per this directive.

I do totally understand the concept though--if a piece of Disney merchandise is accidentally broken by a character, it can be replaced. Non-Disney stuff, not so. And people scream about not getting their markers back...so that's eliminated. The guest standing there is responsible for getting that marker returned.

So' date=' unless Disney starts selling photo mats or pillow cases, those cannot be signed per this directive.

I do totally understand the concept though--if a piece of Disney merchandise is accidentally broken by a character, it can be replaced. Non-Disney stuff, not so. And people scream about not getting their markers back...so that's eliminated. The guest standing there is responsible for getting that marker returned.[/quote']

Yep! Miscommunications and no straight forward policy set out before they introduce it. DCL all over.

How can they send that email out and yet a PR CM reply to Erika with a totally different answer. Why is there no cohesive answer? Who makes the decision, knowing that a lot of people will be pissed off and cause a ruckus, that could and most likely cause damage to their brand without a set policy that is outlined, distributed to ALL departments shoreside and on the ships, and everyone is fully aware before releasing that new policy?

I really think sometime that someone with less intelligence than Goofy is in charge of DCL.

ex techie

I really think sometime that someone with less intelligence than Goofy is in charge of DCL.

ex techie

And his initials are KH. Sorry, there have been precious few changes that I've liked since Mr. ABD was put in charge of the cruise line as well. That's when the cruise line, the only part of the empire that has always made a profit, began to be treated as a poor stepchild.

Edited by moki'smommy