Underwater Camera Recommendations

Hello,

For our next cruise my husband and I are looking to purchase an underwater camera. We have used the disposable ones in the past and really didn't get any good pictures. Can anyone recommend a decent underwater camera? We're not looking to spend a fortune because I don't know how often we would use it and we have a nice non-waterproof camera. We're just looking for something that will give use nice, clear, pictures underwater.

Hello,

For our next cruise my husband and I are looking to purchase an underwater camera. We have used the disposable ones in the past and really didn't get any good pictures. Can anyone recommend a decent underwater camera? We're not looking to spend a fortune because I don't know how often we would use it and we have a nice non-waterproof camera. We're just looking for something that will give use nice, clear, pictures underwater.

I use a Fuji Finepix WP, costs a little over $100. Doesn't have the best zoom, but I've gotten great pix in up to 20 -25' of water.

Puts those cheapo disposables to shame.

I have a Fuji FinePix as well and I love it. I have the xp70 which isn't available in stores anymore, but you can get it online still. The one that you can find in stores right now is the xp80, which is essentially the same camera, they just changed one thing about it. Can't remember what, but it wasn't anything significant.

Hello,

We got a GoPro camera. They are a little more pricy but the video and sound quality is amazing! Plus it comes with software to make your own videos and picture shows. It was well worth the money. We took the little one to the water park and used it there, We have used it at the lake. You will use it a lot more then you think you will.

I have an Olympus TG-1 and that thing is a great all around camera both underwater and for excursions where you don't want to risk your nice camera getting banged up.

Olympus is on their 4th version of the TG series now TG-4 which is pricy but you can find the TG-1 on ebay for not that much and in my opinion for what you are looking to with it.

As others have mentioned, a GoPro is really nice and if you go that route I would say for most, look to get a GoPro Hero 4 Silver as it has a built in screen. This is a huge nice to have.. I have 3 GoPro's at the moment (like to do video editing and movies of the vacations and sports) and the Silver is by far my favorite and easiest to use.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

Do any of the recommended cameras go down 100 feet? I've looked at underwater cameras, but so many of the reasonably priced ones only go down 50 feet. Hubby & I scuba, so we'd like something that can go a bit deeper. Considered GoPro, but it is so small and being well over 50 years old, our eyes need large function keys/screens.

Do any of the recommended cameras go down 100 feet? I've looked at underwater cameras, but so many of the reasonably priced ones only go down 50 feet. Hubby & I scuba, so we'd like something that can go a bit deeper. Considered GoPro, but it is so small and being well over 50 years old, our eyes need large function keys/screens.

The GoPro Dive Housing allows you to go down 197' (60m). The Hero4 Silver is nice as it has the screen and once you set it up all you need to do is hit the record button and it will turn itself on and start recording. Then if you hit it again it will stop recording and turn off.

And the Olympus TG-4 is rated at exactly 50'

Edited by Whiskey60

I'm planning to order a SJCAM SJ4000 which is roughly $70 dollars heard about it on another board and folks say it is decent for underwater photos. Just google the camera name and it will take you to the site I'm planning to get it from. It looks just like a GoPro.

We've used a Canon D10 for a few years and really like it. We also have a nabi Square HD which is a low-priced alternative to the GoPro (we got ours last year on Woot when it was only $50 - I see they can be found on ebay for $110).

Canon D20 takes amazing pictures and videos.

On one of the first excursions I took it on, one of the guides happened to notice me with it and stated "that is one of the best underwater cameras"!

It's a plus for me that I happen to have 2 other Canon cameras and the batteries are interchangeable across all 3.

I bought a Nikon Coolpix S33 before our last cruise. They run about $125. Very happy with it. I have it mostly for water pics of the kids at the pool and beach. I also carry a non-waterproof with me.

Before this I had an Olympus that died on me.

Whatever you go with...Enjoy! :)

Fugifilm xp80 bought from Sams club for $149. Came with float strap, memory card, and carrying case. Has wifi upload as well. Up to 30 feet underwater and 5ft shock proof drop... Love this camera and so does my 3year old and 6year old.. Very user friendly

I have to agree with the others about the Gopro. Not only does it take videos, but with the new Hero 4 you can take stills off of those vids and get great quality photos. It's compact and now has a lcd monitor so you can see what you are capturing. It's also has 4k HD video and time lapse and slow mo etc.

Here's is a sample of the stills from Bora Bora from a friend's travel blog.

https://missvacation.wordpress.com/2015/02/15/bora-bora-swimming-with-sharks/

Hope this helps,

Lisa

So, are y'all using any type of filter on the underwater cameras & GoPros? I noticed in the pics in the link, she mentioned using Lightroom for editing the colors. We found a camera online that was developed specifically for divers - built-in filter, good depth, big buttons, etc. It's just pretty pricey & has no light. I guess GoPro has no light either, though.

So, are y'all using any type of filter on the underwater cameras & GoPros? I noticed in the pics in the link, she mentioned using Lightroom for editing the colors. We found a camera online that was developed specifically for divers - built-in filter, good depth, big buttons, etc. It's just pretty pricey & has no light. I guess GoPro has no light either, though.

There is a special red filter you can use for diving. I think Scuba dot com sells it for about 30.00-50.00, I think. It looks like it gives you back those red wavelength colors that dissapear after 50ft. They also have a strobe light that attatches to the gopro. But again, price goes up significantly with those options. But anything will give you better photos that those disposables ;D

Personally, I use a system of a good point and shoot(that can shoot in RAW format)with an underwater housing Ikelite and use a red filter for blue water or magenta for green water. I don't have a strobe, just a flash, so I fix that with a combination of putting the camera in manual mode and a little Creative Cloud. But then again, you have to decide on what budget and time you want to devote to this. Not only can I use it for underwater, but I can also use it for walk around use as well (just giving me an excuse to spen the money, right?)

Lisa

It's a plus for me that I happen to have 2 other Canon cameras and the batteries are interchangeable across all 3.

Yes, it's great because we also have an S95 and the batteries are interchangeable.