Should Cruise Lines cease stopping in Santorini???

Joe12

I'm glad that others have enjoyed the island but the mistreatment of the donkeys is in my opinion disgusting and I don't know why the cruise lines would continue stopping there if they knew what was going on.

Thanks for your opinions but please do NOT add anymore posts and lets close the thread.

People call you out for your incorrect information and disagree with you and you want the thread closed?

I was on Santorini during a cruise recently, as well on Rhodes. The mules on Santorini were very large. In fact some of them looked more like horses than mules.

This was a change from when I was there in 2013. I am wondering whether someone has been doing some selective breeding. And yes, I know that you cannot breed from a mule!

There was also a notice at the wharf when we arrived that outlined the conditions that the mules work under. 3 or 4 journeys a day, shaded shelters for the rest of day and ample food and water.

On Rhodes, however, they were using donkeys to transport tourists around in the village of Lindos. They were much smaller and I did think that larger tourists should consider carefully whether they should take a donkey ride.

Does it matter what size the donkeys/mules/horses are? The fact of the matter is that there are plenty of countries in Europe that use animals this way (the UK included) and cruise ships aren't going to stop visiting somewhere for this reason alone, unfortunately the Greek financial situation is far from over but if tourists stop visiting it will only get worse. I'm sorry Joe12 but I really don't see the point of your question, I really think you should do your research properly before forming your opinion.

This conversation is a bit sad. The mules on Santorini are working for a living and the incentive for their owners is to properly feed and care for these animals (yes, they are animals) since they are their source of income. For those that have an issue with using animals, they can simply take the cable car and not bother to lecture those who have another opinion about whether animals bred to carry loads should do their job.

As to all those who got carried away with their fears about visiting Greece, the financial situation has been resolved (at least for the next few years) and nothing will change for tourism other then higher prices partially due to higher taxes.

As to Santorini (we have been there many times) it is a wonderful place that is clean, breathtaking gorgeous, has lots of decent shopping, some amazing small hotels (some of which are booked-up at about $1000 a day) and is a fabulous place to stay for a few days as well as visit on a cruise. DW considers it one of her favorite islands, and we have visited about 100 countries and numerous islands all over the world.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Does it matter what size the donkeys/mules/horses are? The fact of the matter is that there are plenty of countries in Europe that use animals this way (the UK included) and cruise ships aren't going to stop visiting somewhere for this reason alone, unfortunately the Greek financial situation is far from over but if tourists stop visiting it will only get worse. I'm sorry Joe12 but I really don't see the point of your question, I really think you should do your research properly before forming your opinion.

Well, I think Joe12 has seen the answer to his question with about 30 post.

So we got a discussion of the Greek Economy,

A discussion about animals and maybe cruelty to animals.

A discussion about animals doing a job that they are well suited to do.

And finally what a beautiful island Santorini is and lets keep visiting and spending more money to help the Greeks and feed the Mules.

We have not, YET, been to Santorini. Have it on our future "to-do" listing and looking forward to visiting there. Seems beautiful. Loved Mykonos and understand that Santorini is as good and maybe even better. Right?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For Athens, Greece, check out this posting with many ideas, tips and exciting visuals for our visiting there and nearby. There have been over 11,164 views on this posting. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

We have not, YET, been to Santorini. Have it on our future "to-do" listing and looking forward to visiting there. Seems beautiful. Loved Mykonos and understand that Santorini is as good and maybe even better. Right?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For Athens, Greece, check out this posting with many ideas, tips and exciting visuals for our visiting there and nearby. There have been over 11,164 views on this posting. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Terry,

Be sure you check out this link and click on ports before you go.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/plan.html

Dr.Joe

• 3 weeks later...

To Joe,

I totally understand your post about the mules. They are abused and there is plenty of info to support that. I did not ride the mules but many people did. It is terrible but boycotting the whole island is a bit drastic for many reasons.

On the same topic, elephant abuse is 100% underwritten by ignorant tourists who refuse to acknowledge the horrible torture of the baby elephants just so they can pet one or see a baby elephant perform a trick. Riding elephants fall under this category. There a lot of people that support trying to close the elephant camps( not the refuges!) There are a lot of people talking about the mule abuse as well.

But just try and tell the tourists that they should not ride an elephant and attend an elephant show and you will get blasted. One woman wanted to know where I got MY idea about elephant abuse and refused to look on the internet for information ( even though she was at that very minute, on the internet). The mule handlers can continue their business and treat the animals humanely only if more complaints are made. The mules do serve a purpose for the infirm or elderly to get up and down the hill. Trying to get the lazy not to ride a mule would be impossible.

I think people were having an issue lumping the mule abuse in with boycotting the whole island. Narrowing your focus to the abuse only might help.

Ok, OP's statement/question was quite confusing and I am not surprised about the many negative responses it generated; however, he did pigue my interest in the topic of mule use in Santorini, an island that I am hoping to visit. Here's what Trip Advisor has to say about Mule ride in Santorini:

"Go up the Caldera on a mule ride is an amazing experience. You can start your Caldera journey on a mule from the old Habour or Ammoudi. The mule riding may not be comfortable for you, but you should try this amazing experience.

Please bear in mind, that the Santorini mules rides are controversial, to say the least and you should look hard at the evidence before you, before you chose this option. Many animals are in poor health, ill-treated and continue to be a source of concern for international animal-based charities, who try year-on-year to reach agreement with local authorities about the supply and use of water and food as well as mandatory rest breaks for these over burdened animals."

Edited by SpokaneDan

Ok, OP's statement/question was quite confusing and I am not surprised about the many negative responses it generated; however, he did pigue my interest in the topic of mule use in Santorini, an island that I am hoping to visit. Here's what Trip Advisor has to say about Mule ride in Santorini:

"Go up the Caldera on a mule ride is an amazing experience. You can start your Caldera journey on a mule from the old Habour or Ammoudi. The mule riding may not be comfortable for you, but you should try this amazing experience.

Please bear in mind, that the Santorini mules rides are controversial, to say the least and you should look hard at the evidence before you, before you chose this option. Many animals are in poor health, ill-treated and continue to be a source of concern for international animal-based charities, who try year-on-year to reach agreement with local authorities about the supply and use of water and food as well as mandatory rest breaks for these over burdened animals."

I have to disagree with Trip Advisor regarding the condition of the animals. I have been to Santorini four times and have never seen an animal ill-treated, or in poor health. Animals are well fed and watered and have plenty of breaks. If the animal based charities had their way, no animal would ever be used for food or work.

I have to disagree with Trip Advisor regarding the condition of the animals. I have been to Santorini four times and have never seen an animal ill-treated, or in poor health. Animals are well fed and watered and have plenty of breaks. If the animal based charities had their way, no animal would ever be used for food or work.

I agree. I am totally against animal abuse. But have been to Santorini 3 times and rode the mules up once…… I did not see any evidence of abuse. Were the animals being worked - yes. But that is what they do.

OMG, how dare you challenge the politically and socially correct elite! :). And we do agree with you and have spent our own time riding on those animals. The reality is that the folks that own these animals are just trying to make a living, and their ability to make a profit depends on maintaining the health and safety of their animals. Those donkeys are well groomed, bathed daily (more then we can say for some humans) and simply work for their room and board :).

Hank

This conversation is a bit sad. The mules on Santorini are working for a living and the incentive for their owners is to properly feed and care for these animals (yes, they are animals) since they are their source of income. For those that have an issue with using animals, they can simply take the cable car and not bother to lecture those who have another opinion about whether animals bred to carry loads should do their job.

As to all those who got carried away with their fears about visiting Greece, the financial situation has been resolved (at least for the next few years) and nothing will change for tourism other then higher prices partially due to higher taxes.

As to Santorini (we have been there many times) it is a wonderful place that is clean, breathtaking gorgeous, has lots of decent shopping, some amazing small hotels (some of which are booked-up at about $1000 a day) and is a fabulous place to stay for a few days as well as visit on a cruise. DW considers it one of her favorite islands, and we have visited about 100 countries and numerous islands all over the world.

Hank

No one is saying that animals bred to carry loads should not carry loads. It's about the treatment of the mules in their role of carrying loads. I think you are off the mark here. Also, animals don't work for a living exactly. People work for a living. No one is saying the people shouldn't work for a living. The focus is on the treatment of the mules. Beasts of burden will suffer if not properly fed, watered and rested.

Having visited Santorini several times, I prefer to use the cable car on the way up and walk down. On these very 'slippery' descents I have witnessed the mules being hit (not beaten) to encourage them. Often they are carrying people who, shall we say, could do with the exercise.

Consequently, I won't take the mule ride up. That's my choice - but I wouldn't go so far as saying the mule rides should be outlawed nor ships should not stop at Santorini.

• 1 month later...
You started this thread whether to make a point or just to see what reaction you would get...you got it and now you don't want anymore posts...oh dear...boo hoo:(

Anyone can report you. It really is simple,don't leave hate. I will report you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...