West Palm Beach

milwaukee mike

We are coming back on the Allure on Jan 24th 2016 and are considering a 5:40 flight out of WPB Airport. Instead of taking a taxi and sitting in the airport for 5 hours we were thinking of renting a car for the 17 mile drive. How much of a hassle is it to get from Port Everglades to a car rental agency? from Google map it doesn't look like they're within walking distance from the port. Take a taxi?

Thanks in advance for your help

We are coming back on the Allure on Jan 24th 2016 and are considering a 5:40 flight out of WPB Airport. Instead of taking a taxi and sitting in the airport for 5 hours we were thinking of renting a car for the 17 mile drive. How much of a hassle is it to get from Port Everglades to a car rental agency? from Google map it doesn't look like they're within walking distance from the port. Take a taxi?

You can take a taxi to the airport for around $15.

There are also some agencies on 17th St. that have free shuttles to the cruise terminals. I know Avis is one, and I believe there are others.

I live south of WPB and north of Port Everglades. I am approx 40 miles (45 minutes) from the port. I don't know where you got the number of miles to the airport as 17, but it's probably more like 57!

With a valid reservation for a rental, there are shuttle buses that stop at the various terminals and bring you to the rental location.

I live south of WPB and north of Port Everglades. I am approx 40 miles (45 minutes) from the port. I don't know where you got the number of miles to the airport as 17, but it's probably more like 57!

With a valid reservation for a rental, there are shuttle buses that stop at the various terminals and bring you to the rental location.

he said that because that's where they could rent a car

I got off Oasis last July and took a cab to FLL for $8.00. Rented a car and drove to WPB to see my mother in law since our flight was later that afternoon. Guy at Alamo gave us a good deal since we would have the car back by 3pm.. It was a bout 45 minutes from FLL to West Palm.

We did just that in June this year. We got a taxi to Fort Lauderdale airport where there is a large car rental facility. The taxi will take you right inside the building and you simply walk through into the area where all the major car rental companies operate.

We always use Alamo, which has a Quick Start option where you check in online prior to your rental and instead if having to queue up, go straight to your car.

It is a simple drive up the I95 to WPB airport, which is a great little airport, very easy to use. However, it IS 50 miles, not 17.

En route why not stop off at the beach, or grab a meal? Lantana, which is on the way, has some great little restaurants and a nice beach.

Edited by ellie1145

Alamo & National has free port pick up. You will need to show your reservation. The other possibility is Tri Rail. It will get you to PBI (West Palm Beach Airport) station. It runs like every hour. Will cost you like $10 rt. Free transportation from the train station to the airport and vv.

he said that because that's where they could rent a car

Doubtful, as you can get a car 5 min from Port Everglades, at the Ft. Lauderdale airport. BoyntonBeth is right; it's nearly 60 miles between FLL and PBI. I spend a lot of time in Boca Raton, sometimes flying in/out of FLL and sometimes flying in/out of PBI (Boca is between the two) so am very familiar with the distance between them.

I've got Hertz booked for a rental car to West Palm Beach for next Feb. the Hertz location is at the Crowne Plaza hotel that I've used before, and they provide a shuttle from the dock.

I'm also dropping off at the same location just as I've done before prior to our sailing from Fort Lauderdale.

Alamo & National has free port pick up. You will need to show your reservation. The other possibility is Tri Rail. It will get you to PBI (West Palm Beach Airport) station. It runs like every hour. Will cost you like $10 rt. Free transportation from the train station to the airport and vv.

The WPB stop isn't that close to PBI and there is no shuttle currently, but one is planned and should be operating by Jan 2016 when they cruise. I've used Tri-Rail and associated shuttle at FLL. Tri-Rail itself is nice; moves faster than the cars on 95.

I will second suggestions for Lantana it has many nice spots. But if you want to do some walking/window shopping/tons of food choices perhaps Atlantic Ave in Delray is even better and it is pretty much adjacent to the exit off 95 without a lot of in-town driving. It's got a lot going on there.

We rented from Budget on 17th street. They will come and get you if you call them, but we found it easier to grab a cab. It's really just outside the port so only about a 5 minute ride. Cost about $5. Way easier then going to the airport. We did have to wait about 1/2 hour for them to open but there was a Starbucks (I think) around the corner of the building so I grabbed a cup of coffee and we waited outside the building.