Early Del Rio Legacy vs the Sheehan Legacy

mianmike

I hope just because you are leaving NCL, that doesn't mean you will leave NCL on this site. Since I've been on here, I've learned a lot from many of those that say they are leaving.

Thanks, I will still pop by to keep an eye on things and hopefully, if they change for the better, I will be back.

From comments that I read, there was a lot of complaining when Mr. Sheehan came on board as well.

That might be true, but one big difference is that NCL was pretty much in the toilet when Sheehan took over. The line was not profitable and not popular because it really had no direction. Sheehan did what he had to in order to build up the brand, make it profitable, and give it direction. I think he succeeded.

Del Rio inherited a much different NCL. One with a clear direction and a profitable company with a great business plan and management infrastructure. The groundwork has already been done. All that I see him doing is pandering to stock holders but doing nothing to actually improve the product. Totally one sided so far. It's also the way in which he has implemented all these changes. Somewhat with contempt for the customer.

I do agree the verdict is still out, but so far not impressed.

Who cares whether Sheehan or Del Rio are "better" or "worse" than the other. That seems like utter red herring material. Sheehan's gone. Whether he was good or bad, or better or worse, than the current bunch running NCL is irrelevant.

What matters is what is happening RIGHT NOW. And right now it's pretty clear that NCL is changing and not for the better. That it changed before (if it was for the worse -- I don't know) is even more of an indictment of the current bunch -- they should have been fixing the mess that Sheehan (supposedly) made and instead they've doubled down with the cuts and price hikes.

I don't recall ever hearing that Sheehan left a mess, he increased profits, saved the company and most of the customers loved him.

That might be true, but one big difference is that NCL was pretty much in the toilet when Sheehan took over. The line was not profitable and not popular because it really had no direction. Sheehan did what he had to in order to build up the brand, make it profitable, and give it direction. I think he succeeded.

Del Rio inherited a much different NCL. One with a clear direction and a profitable company with a great business plan and management infrastructure. The groundwork has already been done. All that I see him doing is pandering to stock holders but doing nothing to actually improve the product. Totally one sided so far. It's also the way in which he has implemented all these changes. Somewhat with contempt for the customer.

I do agree the verdict is still out, but so far not impressed.

Agree 100%. I think that's the part that turns me off the most, is the contempt for the customer. I've given NCL lots of money over the years, Garden Villa, DOS on Breakaway, and lots of suites and I feel that my loyalty means absolutely nothing. I don't expect much, but I do expect not to be treated with contempt.

Now we are hearing Del Rio has decided firework displays are too demanding and so off to the chopping block it goes. If true, how many more Del Rio cuts "to ensure we’re focusing the best overall guest experience possible" will he implement before he has demolished the NCL Freestyle brand Kevin Sheehan worked so hard to build?

"To ensure we’re focusing the best overall guest experience possible." Translation: we were looking for expenses we could cut that we felt wouldn't overly affect new cruise bookings and cutting fireworks fit the bill.

It's becoming apparent Del Rio's business model is to maximize profit through reduced services, increased fares, fees and gimmicks. Sheehan on the other the hand was more about building the brand and cultivating repeat loyal customers which ultimately would lead to increased profits.

I really enjoyed the Sheehan brand of Freestyle cruising and it will be missed. No other cruise line offers a similar experience. I can only hope Del Rio's business model fails and he reverts back to emphasizing building the brand and less about immediate profit. I'm concerned as I see the airline industry has been adding more and more fees and there seems to be no end in sight. Their profits are up; customer satisfaction is down, but profits always seem to win in the end.

I wish all cruisers and potential cruisers read Cruise Critic and were cognizant of how Del Rio is leading NCL down the path of pay more for less. Reduced profit would get Del Rio's attention.

Del Rio wants increased profit similar to those wanting to lose weight overnight with a diet pill.

Sheehan believed increasing profit was similar to a dieter who loses weight via lifestyle changes, proper diet, building muscle through exercise . . . in other words . . . he earned it!

Okay, through this post I've solved nothing, but I vented. I feel better. Now I will focus on the positive and thoroughly enjoy my next cruise no matter what Del Rio may throw at me or take away from me!

Maybe Del Rio should do an episode of Undercover Boss like Sheehan did and maybe then he will see that Sheehan was correct in how things were handled. :rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

I don't recall ever hearing that Sheehan left a mess, he increased profits, saved the company and most of the customers loved him.

As I said, I don't know. I wasn't paying attention to NCL during most of the time Sheehan was in charge. I can see there is a well-spring of good feelings toward Sheehan as evidenced by comments from many on this board over the past six months or so. (We likely cruised NCL in April as a result of polices instituted by Sheehan.) My point was to push back against those who are tossing out the red herring of "Well if Del Rio sucks, you should remember how badly Sheehan sucked!"

It doesn't matter that somebody else might have sucked at some other point in time. What matters is that RIGHT NOW, NCL management sucks.

When and where do they have fireworks? We have been on 3 NCL cruises (all in the last year) and I never noticed any fireworks.

I didn't have fireworks on my 2 cruises. I didn't know they even had fireworks.

Wow! If you look at things, they seem to mirror themselves between what Mr. Del Rio is doing and Mr. Sheehan did. Mr. Sheehan took things away and, to use some other's words, money grabbed, but folks don't seem to remember it.

Exactly people seem to be romanticizing Sheehan, but in fairness if tomorrow Del rio left after the new got sick over people would be saying the exact same things, they be saying I miss Del Rio and look with this new guy took away that Del Rio didn't lol.

Everyone says that they haven't done anything for the passengers, but I kinda think this freestyle choice promo is a big plus for the passengers. I know people say it's factored into the price, but I've found that cruises with the promo are about the same price as they were last year without the promo. I also think there is a benefit to having a pretty new fleet with more on the way. The only line that I would say is cheaper than NCL is CCL, and their fleet is pretty tired looking.

Maybe other people feel differently, but I'd rather pay a slightly higher DSC, pay for room service, and do without the firework show to sail on a newer ship and not have to worry about a bar bill, but I understand everyone is different.

At the time, I agreed with others, you order 2 if you want 6 shrimp, no harm, no foul. Now are you going to spend $4.99 (or whatever the a la carte charge is) each for 2 orders, of course not, that would be ridiculous! $4.99 for a shrimp cocktail with 3 shrimp will be a hard sell considering you've already paid for your meal with your fare.

I just felt that when you logged on to the dining website to prepay for cagneys .....at $30....and you saw 6 jumbo shrimp....that the assumption was that is what the shrimp cocktail you got included with your $30 up charge would look like

Funny how many posters thought that was NOT false advertising

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So who exactly loves 2 increases in DSC, 18% grat added to specialty restaurants, 7.95 room service fee, increase in drink prices, increase in drink grats from 15% to 18%, first night cirque show no longer included in UDP etc, etc....?

Some people may not care about them but i doubt that anyone loves them.

So do you have some insider knowledge of the new a la carte menus and pricing?

Who loves them? Very simple answer.

Investors.

Everyone says that they haven't done anything for the passengers, but I kinda think this freestyle choice promo is a big plus for the passengers. I know people say it's factored into the price, but I've found that cruises with the promo are about the same price as they were last year without the promo. I also think there is a benefit to having a pretty new fleet with more on the way. The only line that I would say is cheaper than NCL is CCL, and their fleet is pretty tired looking.

Maybe other people feel differently, but I'd rather pay a slightly higher DSC, pay for room service, and do without the firework show to sail on a newer ship and not have to worry about a bar bill, but I understand everyone is different.

This is true why the promos last but they will go away, (they are already being diluted,just look at the new SDP in the Aug promo) and all the new charges will remain.

I actually believe that is why they are having these promos, so when they put in the new charges people will say it is no big deal, I have the UBP, UDP etc, and then when the promos go away, the new charges will have been in place long enough that it will be too late to do anything about it.

I thought the fireworks were dangerous but liked the music

Last year, I missed the fireworks due to to much drinks at the free latitudes party. I was in denial they were 8:30 at night until I saw everyone coming towards the elevator I was getting off of to see them lol

This is true why the promos last but they will go away, (they are already being diluted,just look at the new SDP in the Aug promo) and all the new charges will remain.

I actually believe that is why they are having these promos, so when they put in the new charges people will say it is no big deal, I have the UBP, UDP etc, and then when the promos go away, the new charges will have been in place long enough that it will be too late to do anything about it.

I completely agree! My next cruise has the dining package included (booked in March as UDP) but it appears as though I may still have to pay the 18% based on the current website descriptions. The 18% on top of free really is not a big deal and it's going to the staff so I can't justify complaining about it! In the past (right, wrong or indifferent) I always looked at the cover charge as including the tip. I also tipped on top of the bill, UDP or not. I wonder if the staff is no longer (maybe was not ever) getting a portion of the cover and hence the 18% gratuity?

Regarding the fireworks mentioned in this post and others, it's disappointing to hear about the fireworks. I was on Breakaway last summer and saw the fireworks... Fireworks at sea are unique and pretty cool... Even though I've seen a thousand fireworks, it was so different to see them while at sea.... Certainly helped to justify the higher cost of the Breakaway... And I don't think the Celebrity ship passengers that trailed the breakaway on the port side all the way from Bermuda minded either!!

As for the port time changes to save money or increase revenues, there seems to be a correlation to having to cancel cruises to nowhere. It's sad to see Bermuda time reduced... I always hoped for more port time there. Losing two hours in Kauai on my next cruise is disappointing as well!

I simply haven't see the savings in the package deals. Bermuda was $500 more this year than in previous years, which erased any benefits of the package, so for the first time in many years I am not going to Bermuda.

I feel bad for the people who have already made final payments and just have to live with the higher fees for less services. For those of us outside final payment, we just have to decide whether or not to cancel and let our money do the talking.

Edited by df5250

Here's my opinion:

NCL is not ready to sit back on its laurels. It hasn't established itself as a great line yet. It has made leaps since Sheehan took it from a terrible reputation to a player. But for many who haven't tried since then, it still has a leftover perception of being a very "budget" line that wasn't very good. In addition, it has gotten very good for the price for what you get, not very good at any price. It hasn't clearly been a front runner with an excellent reputation long enough for it to start going backwards and undoing some of its steps forward. Take away that it usually prices well below other lines and make pricing equal or take enough away and it's going to falter big time.

Same with JetBlue. It's okay. Still viewed as decent if price is right and it has free bags. Take away lowest price and free bags and JetBlue will falter too.

Edited by conandrob240

You might want to re-look at your timeframe, the lobster in the MDR disappeared last year, while Mr. Sheehan was in charge. Folks were complaining about it last Summer and Mr. Del Rio didn't come into his position until this year.

Your absolutely correct. I apologize. My DH reminded me we were in a specialty restaurant when I had the lobster. I stand corrected.

MSC and Costa wipe the competition away on prices in the med if you are flexible.

7 days in the med including tax and flights from the UK for $400pp on a regular basis, budget up to $600pp and loads more dates and longer trips are available some with packaged extras.

I have been on over 30 cruises and I can't count how many lines and Costa is by far the worst in every catagory. The crew is unfriendly, the food isn't much and the entertainment lousy. or at least in my opinion. Maybe Europians have a different idea about cruising. AS for MSC, when I was still an agent I had cliants that cruised them and thought, for the most part they were inferior to other lines except the ships were beautiful. Our present agent feels the same and people we met while we were on our Princess Canada and New England cruise who were on MSC would have loved to change places with us. So, what works for one doesn't always work for someone else.

Here's my opinion:

NCL is not ready to sit back on its laurels. It hasn't established itself as a great line yet. It has made leaps since Sheehan took it from a terrible reputation to a player. But for many who haven't tried since then, it still has a leftover perception of being a very "budget" line that wasn't very good. In addition, it has gotten very good for the price for what you get, not very good at any price. It hasn't clearly been a front runner with an excellent reputation long enough for it to start going backwards and undoing some of its steps forward. Take away that it usually prices well below other lines and make pricing equal or take enough away and it's going to falter big time.

Same with JetBlue. It's okay. Still viewed as decent if price is right and it has free bags. Take away lowest price and free bags and JetBlue will falter too.

You do know jet blue is now charging for bags on a new price tier system?

I was looking at the timeframe and the lobster tails didn't disappear until FDR took over when they changed the menus this year. As for the escargot I recently read a post that they are still on the menu and they were outstanding. So, if they aren't there now, that would be FDR as well. It's funny no one has mentioned the approximately 200 layoffs due to FDR's merger of Oceania/Regents back in March at corporate. Plus, let's add on to FDR the reduced times in port. Why? NCL hired Eniram LTD to install Eniram's Dynamic Trimming Assistant across the entire NCL fleet. That system is to help vessel officers to optimize trim at all times, minimizing water resistance, decreasing fuel consumption, and reducing emissions. So why shorten the port times? And there's lots of other events which are occurring under FDR which makes Sheenan's changes (like no chocolates on the pillows, no booze at embarkation, no free bag of laundry, etc.) minor.

not true, Sheehan took them away and replaced them with a pasta topped with a piece of Lobster or about 1/2 small tail plus a couple other types of fish. And there was never a free bag of laundry,where did you get that idea? Of course platinum members still get thiers

Edited by newmexicoNita

You do know jet blue is now charging for bags on a new price tier system?

Umm, yes. That was my point. JetBlue has built a decent reputation. That plus doing things differently like having free bags made it profitable. But it hasn't built a strong enough reputation to stand alone against the big boys if they now have equal amenities. Take away free bags and it will stumble hugely.

Same with NCL. It's done a good job changing its reputation but it won't stand well against the competition if it starts pricing equally and taking away amenities. It's going to fall on its' ass.

Edited by conandrob240