Production Show Question

custompcsys

I should have asked this when I took my ultimate ship's tour and was in the theater, but I've always wondered and thought I would ask here. The choreography of these shows often requires both lead singers and chorus members to be very active with dance moves. I can't see how they can possibly sing properly while doing some of this, so I wondered how much of the singing is actually live and how much of it is lip sync'd. Hopefully someone in this vast Cruise Critic wealth of knowledge will know the answer. Not that its a life or death issue mind you, was just wondering.

Thanks! :)

A CD answered this question on one of my cruises (can't remember who or which cruise). The principal singers are always live. Some of the chorus line is synced. There is always a back up tract if the seas are too rough for dancing, balancing, and singing. If someone is sick, they redo the singing rotations to pick up the slack and holes in the dancing. The show must go on.

Very interesting, and I'm a bit surprised that the principal singers are live all the time. While there are some numbers where they are not as active, some numbers require a lot of activity so I am surprised they would stay live. Very impressive...I get tired just watching them! :)

I was on a cruise last month and attended an event where the audience could ask questions of the singers and dancers. Your question was asked and the lead singers said that they really have to practice their breathing exercises in order to sing while dancing. They said it is difficult but they do sing live. I imagine the dance moves they must make are adjusted if it messes up their singing.

A CD answered this question on one of my cruises (can't remember who or which cruise). The principal singers are always live. Some of the chorus line is synced. There is always a back up tract if the seas are too rough for dancing, balancing, and singing. If someone is sick, they redo the singing rotations to pick up the slack and holes in the dancing. The show must go on.

That's the same thing were told by a CD.

Next time you are at a production show look carefully. Only a few have microphones. The ones who don't lip sync or actually sing if they are singers. I think it was my Hawaii cruise in February where they said one of the dancers could sing and if a singer could not go on he could fill in. In his case he said he actually sang as he danced but he had no mic.

Sheesh... I can get winded walking to the mailbox. (OK, not really but...)

I see the ones with microphones and have watched their lips. Either they are very good with the lip synch or they are actually singing. I prefer to think they are actually singing.