Bermuda, on your own, on the cheap?

Piper934

Looking for recommendations on what we can do on our own on the cheap. What's fun and what can we see. Will be on rccl in port from 8 to 4.

Not worried about walking tours, taxi or public transportation, just want to be safe. Couple examples we did in past was taxi to maho beach and had a blast. Public bus to Mendenhall glacier in Alaska.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Looking for recommendations on what we can do on our own on the cheap. What's fun and what can we see. Will be on rccl in port from 8 to 4.

Not worried about walking tours, taxi or public transportation, just want to be safe. Couple examples we did in past was taxi to maho beach and had a blast. Public bus to Mendenhall glacier in Alaska.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

You can do everything on your own. Public transportation is excellent and one of the best ways to get around. Bermuda is very safe. As for what is fun, read the threads here. Personally I like beaches, any of the South Shore beaches, Horseshoe, Elbow, Warwick but there are plenty of other of other fun things to do and see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back and did what we could on the cheap side. We bought transportation passes as soon as we got off the ship. We hit aquarium and caves and swizzle inn (not cheap but cool) in one day. We did the bus from dockyard to Hamilton. Got off early in Hamilton and walked thru town to terminal. Took the bus to aquarium. Then the next bus to caves. Walked across the street to swizzle Inn for lunch. Took a bus to st. George and walked past unfinished church to ft st Catherine. $7 per person for that and very neat to walk around. Plus great views. Then we walked back to tobacco bay. We stayed til closing listening to music. Took a bus back to Hamilton and ferry back to dockyard. We saw the whole island in 1 day. Including 2 day bus pass and admissions for 4 to all, we spent about 300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DD and I walked the Old Railroad Trail. Totally free and some awesome views. Take along water to drink. We took the bus to Somerset and walked the trail back to Fort Scaur and then came back down to the bus route and took the bus back to the dockyards.

• 4 weeks later...
Just got back and did what we could on the cheap side. We bought transportation passes as soon as we got off the ship. We hit aquarium and caves and swizzle inn (not cheap but cool) in one day. We did the bus from dockyard to Hamilton. Got off early in Hamilton and walked thru town to terminal. Took the bus to aquarium. Then the next bus to caves. Walked across the street to swizzle Inn for lunch. Took a bus to st. George and walked past unfinished church to ft st Catherine. $7 per person for that and very neat to walk around. Plus great views. Then we walked back to tobacco bay. We stayed til closing listening to music. Took a bus back to Hamilton and ferry back to dockyard. We saw the whole island in 1 day. Including 2 day bus pass and admissions for 4 to all, we spent about 300.

That sounds like what we are trying to do in a couple weeks. Thanks for the run down! Glad to know we can do that in a day.

Sunday is a little harder to get around as the ferries run a limited schedule. If cost isn't a factor, grab a cab when you get off the ship. They can get you to St. George going up one road and come back to the ship along the south shore line. That way you see it all. We took the bus to Hamilton then to st George as we wanted to see stuff along the way. The bus system is great. There are links around here for the current schedule and fees. Cab fares are regulated, so everyone is the same there and there were lots of people. But I would say most time effective route is by cab.

The taxi drivers can give you a tour, they were telling us about it :) They said it is about $12 an hour per person to do so (I think for a family of 4 he said). they can take you around the island and tell you everything you see.

Alternatively, you can see the island by boat. rent a boat and stop at various places around the island. it is really cool! snorkel the vixen shipwreck, wow wow wow! sea glass beach. some other beaches around. there are some great snorkeling spots you can hit up if you like those.

Or, take a ferry and then a bus to tom moore's jungle and see the caves and swim at blue hole. there are 2 big caves you can explore, one wet and one dry. swim in the cave, SO fun! would only cost you transportation to get there and back.