Tenders for Great Stirrup Cay with a Wheelchair

BVIArabella

Has anyone in a wheelchair tried to use the tender to Great Stirrup Cay from the NCL Sky?

There is so much conflicting information about accessible tenders that I was hoping that someone with a wheelchair would describe the process on using the tender to GSC.

i.e. Do you have to be able to climb down 10 or so steps out of the tender at GSC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We were on the Sky last month and the tenders did not appear to be handicap friendly. You enter the tender from the ship on the top deck. To get off the tender at the island, you go down quite a few steps and exit through the end of the boat on the lower level of the tender.

To get on the tender at GSC, you enter through the lowered end gate. To get off, you have to go up the stairs to get to the ship entrance on the top deck.

We were on the Gem in May. My husband has mobility issues - he has difficulty walking and standing for more than very short distances. Since we rented a scooter from Special Needs at Sea and had an accessible cabin, we also spoke with the Special Needs Access representatives before sailing.

After embarkation, we received no less than four communications from the access desk on board trying to discourage my husband from going to GSC. First, the cabin steward discussed it with us. Then we received a letter that stated you have to be able to walk 15 steps to get on and off the tender and that although there are beach wheelchairs available, they couldn't promise that we could get one and that you can't bring scooters or wheelchairs on the tender that weigh over a certain amount. We also received 2 phone calls from the access desk on board saying the same thing. They weren't very subtle about discouraging him from going. We had no intention of getting off anyway, because we have been there before and knew the issues.

Also, depending on how rough the seas are, it can be difficult for able bodied people to navigate the transfer on and off the tender.

We actually enjoyed our day on board - ship was empty and it was very pleasant.

Enjoy your cruise!

Even if something can be worked out with the tender, how does one manipulate once on shore?

Limited quantity of beach wheelchairs with fat wheels. However, GSC terrain is pretty undeveloped as far as having much in the way of smooth walking (or rolling) surfaces.

If you are a very small person the crew may be able to assist or carry you on as we have seen this done. However if you are a large person I think that would be a problem. If you can walk short distances you could probably do it unless you are unstable or too weak.

Here is a pic of the wheelchairs for the beach which seemed to work well for getting people around. We didn't know they had these when we went ashore otherwise we would have tried a little more to get mom to come with us.

Picture%20685_zpsu88cr7nx.jpg

We were on the Gem in May. My husband has mobility issues - he has difficulty walking and standing for more than very short distances. Since we rented a scooter from Special Needs at Sea and had an accessible cabin, we also spoke with the Special Needs Access representatives before sailing.

After embarkation, we received no less than four communications from the access desk on board trying to discourage my husband from going to GSC. First, the cabin steward discussed it with us. Then we received a letter that stated you have to be able to walk 15 steps to get on and off the tender and that although there are beach wheelchairs available, they couldn't promise that we could get one and that you can't bring scooters or wheelchairs on the tender that weigh over a certain amount. We also received 2 phone calls from the access desk on board saying the same thing. They weren't very subtle about discouraging him from going. We had no intention of getting off anyway, because we have been there before and knew the issues.

Also, depending on how rough the seas are, it can be difficult for able bodied people to navigate the transfer on and off the tender.

We actually enjoyed our day on board - ship was empty and it was very pleasant.

Enjoy your cruise!

Can't blame them, it IS a very riskful moment and people have drowned/been crushed when getting on and off tenders. I can barely imagine how difficult it would be for someone with mobility issues.

I would have done the same; enjoy the empty ship. :)

Can't blame them, it IS a very riskful moment and people have drowned/been crushed when getting on and off tenders. I can barely imagine how difficult it would be for someone with mobility issues.

I would have done the same; enjoy the empty ship. :)

I'd stay on the ship too. Imagine the crew lifting, the passenger is at their mercy, what to do once you g et to the sand just to sit in a w/c. I'm all for trying to help attend things, but this sounds a bit over the top.

A few years ago we stopped at GSC for the day. Boarding in front of us was a man and wife. The man used a wheelchair until he was right next to the exit door. He then very slowly with the help of two workers made it on the tender. On our way back we saw them again. This time around he had a lot more issues, he couldn't walk and had to be carried onto the tender. When we arrived at the ship the sea's were much rougher. I'm thinking how in the heck are they going to get this guy off. This time three guys hand carried the guy off. I can tell you they were none to happy about the situation, I felt bad for the guy but he put others at risk. At one point they talked about putting a rope around him in case they dropped in the water

A few years ago we stopped at GSC for the day. Boarding in front of us was a man and wife. The man used a wheelchair until he was right next to the exit door. He then very slowly with the help of two workers made it on the tender. On our way back we saw them again. This time around he had a lot more issues, he couldn't walk and had to be carried onto the tender. When we arrived at the ship the sea's were much rougher. I'm thinking how in the heck are they going to get this guy off. This time three guys hand carried the guy off. I can tell you they were none to happy about the situation, I felt bad for the guy but he put others at risk. At one point they talked about putting a rope around him in case they dropped in the water

I'm actually shocked that crew carried a passenger. My sister is disabled and we have cruised quite a bit over the years. We are ALWAYS told that if you go on an excursion or there is a tender port, she must be able to get on and off the tender without any assistance from crew. I could help her but no crew would help. Can't blame them simply because of the liability.

Going over on the tender, he was helped by holding his arms onto the tender, not a real big deal I see it a lot. The real problem was coming back, he had to be carried. They just can't leave him there LOL. Personally I think they should have brought him back last and put him in a stretcher, they could have hoisted him up

Edited by Laszlo

Has anyone in a wheelchair tried to use the tender to Great Stirrup Cay from the NCL Sky?

There is so much conflicting information about accessible tenders that I was hoping that someone with a wheelchair would describe the process on using the tender to GSC.

i.e. Do you have to be able to climb down 10 or so steps out of the tender at GSC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My thoughts, I don't think you will find the tender situation too user friendly nor will you find GSC all that wheelchair friendly. This doesn't mean you can not use the tender or enjoy GSC, but you will have some problems as there is more sand than anything at GSC. Again, this is just my opinion.