Short trip report: Zuiderdam 7/22-8/2 Med

wurmine

We spent a wonderful time on board the Zuiderdam, cruising 11 days from Venice to Rome.

The ship is in great shape and we really enjoyed the cruise. The food war very good and the choices were sufficient. Service in the MDR was between poor and exceptionally great. We had my time dining and during the first days everyone at the table received the food at different times and always were some items missing, the waiter did not really care at all. Then we changed the time a bit and had a reservation each night at 8.15 and your waiter Charly was just amazing.

We had My-time dining and we never had to wait long and could make a reservation for the next day every evening. A breeze as well.

I have not seen any shows, but we visited all bars. I like the crowns nest best. The service was friendly but very slow. It usually took about 30 minutes from entering the bar until we got our drinks. Hm... As much as I try, I can not think of anything else to complaining about. (except two lost trousers I mentioned in an other thread)

Everything was so well organized and smooth. After a Costa cruise in April, I was able to appreciate this a lot.

Breakfast in the MDR and Pinnacle was just wonderful. I really love the served breakfast and the quality was very good. I really miss my South-West omelette. We once had dinner at the Pinnacle and the steaks were as good as I remembered them.

Our cabin was perfect for us and as comfy as expected as we had the chance to book an upsell to the Neptune suite some days before the cruise. The upsell price was well worth it although I would not book it for the full price. But it will be hard to go back to a balcony cabin. I might have to do an other Costa cruise in between to lower my expectations, although I never wanted to cruise with them again. But that would help to love a balcony on HAL.

I usually prefer Celebrity to HAL, but this cruise definitely made me consider them adequately. The breakfast is better on HAL and the atmosphere more elegant, but I do not like the ocean view pool area too much. The bar there did not attract me, but the Celebrity aft bar always is my favourite.

Our stops:

Venice was as great as always and leave Venice through the canal was amazing.

In Katakolo we hired a car and drove to Olympia early in the morning and spent the rest of the day at Kata Kavouiri beach.

In Nafplio we also rented a car and drove to Epidaurus and to Nea Evidavros beach afterwards.

In Athens we had a great chauffeur, Paul, and did a wonderful tour to Marathon and the lake and to Cap Sounion as we have been to Athens a lot.

In Kusadasi we also had a driver and a guide. We started at 7 and could enter Ephesus at 8, which was good, as it was not to hot and full. Afterwards to visited the house of Mary and St Johns church. For lunch we went to Sirince, a lovely little village.

Mykonos: We hired a minibus to get us to Elia beach and spent some hours at the beach and the tavern. Then strolled around the town and took the water taxi back to the port. Our ship was docked, but some others tendered.

Rhodes: We booked a minibus transfer to go to the butterfly valley, which was impressive and Kallithea. Then to Rhodes town and visited the grandmaster palace and the old town.

Santorini: We rented a car and drove to Oia and Katharos beach.

Neaples: We took the ferry to Procida, a lovely little island 40 minutes from Naeples.

Rome: We booked a minibus and went to see Tivoli. The villa D´Este is absolutely wonderful, so is the villa Adriana and the park of Villa Gregoriana. All well worth seeing them. We had an excellent lunch at a restaurant, sitting next to an antique temple.

We recently sailed on Zuiderdam and also had a very good cruise.

Like you our only complaint was about the service in the MDR. We also had Anytime Dining and the service was very patchy - sometimes excellent, other times rather disappointing

It didn't affect our enjoyment of the cruise though and I would sail with HAL again, possibly on a newer ship next time.