Dress Code Question

paige78

As I understand it, jeans are not allowed in the dinning room. Correct me if I am wrong on that. But for us women, what about a dark jean knee length skirt, dressed up with the right shoes and top?? I am just curious about this. Thanks to anyone who knows!

As I understand it, jeans are not allowed in the dinning room. Correct me if I am wrong on that. But for us women, what about a dark jean knee length skirt, dressed up with the right shoes and top?? I am just curious about this. Thanks to anyone who knows!

I would think you can wear what you want.. as many reviews of different ships have people wearing what they please.. if you want more info from the fashionitas I would check the fashion board...:)

Correct. But there is a huge difference between "permitted" and "appropriate" :rolleyes: .

Actually permitted is not even the correct word. JEANS ARE NOT PERMITTED per dress code on most nights at Dinner. However it appears that many Maitre'd do not do their job and let people in underdressed for the evening (yes a Denim Skirt would be udnerdressed for most evenings according to the offical dress code.)

I think a denim skirt will be fine.

Not all jeans are work jeans. I have bootleg "dress jeans" that I wear when I dress with a pair of stilettos and a blazer. I don't wear them in the dining rooms, but from what I see some wear, it would look like I was in formal night compared to them.

Actually permitted is not even the correct word. JEANS ARE NOT PERMITTED per dress code on most nights at Dinner. However it appears that many Maitre'd do not do their job and let people in underdressed for the evening (yes a Denim Skirt would be udnerdressed for most evenings according to the offical dress code.)
Actually, Carnival's written policy is silent on the matter of jeans in the dining room.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

That said, common sense and proper manners should prevail. Jeans are permitted, but are certainly not appropriate.

On our first day onboard for our cruise in March, I wore nice (dark) bootleg jeans, stilletos, and a dressy tank to to dinner and nobody batted an eyelash.

First day doesn't matter. They don't consider dress on the first evening because some may not have their luggage yet.

jeans are for work, such as digging a ditch as cleaning out a septic tank. Not in the dining room. No matter how much the rags cost.

Oh give me a break. :rolleyes: The OP asked about a nice jean skirt not a ratty old pair of jeans. To the OP, You will be fine wearing your jean skirt. You will not be under-dressed for dinner (unless it's formal night)

Laura

If you are asking about a certain dress code other then formal on formal night you already know the answer. Formal is formal. I is not jeans, sport shirt and slacks or skirt and blouse. It is formal. If you choose to dress other then formal you are not dressed accord to the dress code period. Yes you will be permitted into the diining room and served dinner but you will not be part of the formal dining experiance. If this sounds hard nosed I'm sorry but those of you that do not articapate in this formal affair ae missing out. Please correct me if you think me wrong.

I think that as long as you look presentable and neat, there is really no issues with the dress code. not everyone can afford to dress up all the time or even want to, you are on vacation and should enjoy yourself! let's face it, it's not like you are eating in the hamptons or an upscale manhattan restaurant! hopefully people will not be so petty....it's just my opinion. I saw people dressed extremely down for the captains night and that is one area where you should be a little more formal, and it was surprising! :)

You know, I just read the Carnival clothing guidelines that Tef provided a link to (thank you Tef) and I have to say it pretty much does NOT say that jeans are not allowed. By which I mean, jeans ARE allowed, so long as they are not shorts or Tshirts or bathing suits anyway. I would even go so far as to say that if you happen to own a denim tuxedo or suit you would be within the written guidelines wearing it on formal night.

I know that there are people who really like formal night who might not think that a denim tuxedo is "appropriate" but based upon my reading of the guidelines it certainly isnt against the rules to wear one.

So.....for the OP......seems to me you are in the right if you choose to wear a jean skirt in the dining room. Oh, and if you happen to be on a sailing that I am on, can you make it tight and short too.

I personally find tight short skirts extremely non-offensive and ever appropriate.

I should add that this is Joe writing, not Ruth.

On rereading, I don't think the OP was asking what she can get away with in her dress. I think rather she may be asking what is appropriate. Denim is just that. Denim. For the vast majority of cruisers, the ship's dining room is pretty dressy and certainly more upscale than what they experience regularily at home. Fine linens, china, stemware, 11 pcs of silver, waitstaff dressed formally serving a five course, fairly fancy, meal and in many instances a string quartet playing. The guidelines printed in the catalogue, and welcome aboard booklet should give anyone an idea of what is the norm.

You forgot the 100s of people talking, the singing and dancing waiters, the life of the pool deck at the next table who is trying not to pass out in their first course, etc. While a nice meal it is not a five star intimate meal such as I can find here at home while I am dressed in denim.

Formal night is very dressy but on casual night there is nothing wrong with denim (in my opinion). If there is a written policy stating no jeans then I would say no to jeans. But a skirt is fine and if there is nothing written stating no jeans then they would be just as appropriate as any other pant. I think it is the total look that matters not the fabric of a particular clothing item. For instance a silk blouse, black jeans and heels can look just as dressy as khakis and a tropical shirt in my opinion.

I dont know what the OP was thinking and I may be wrong, but from my rereading of the original post I come away with the idea that she was asking a very direct question, "are jeans allowed in the dining room?". I believe she said that she had heard that they are not and wanted to know if that included jean skirts.

I believe the answer to her direct question would be, yes jeans (including jean skirts) are allowed in the dining room.

I dont think I read anywhere her wondering if jeans were "appropriate", just allowed or not.

The OP may decide after reading this (and several other threads on like topics) that she would feel uncomfortable in a jean skirt in the dining room and choose not to wear it. But she should make that choice knowing that as far as Carnival guidelines are concerned she could wear a jean skirt if she wanted to.

As for me, I guess I am one of the vocal minority (not the vast majority) who could care less what someone else wears to dinner. Funny thing, I was one of only a handful of men wearing tuxedos on formal night on the Valor on the July 24th cruise. Go figure.

OK I am REALLY cutting it close here. I am packing for my trip, that I leave for tomorrow.. and of course I am questioning all my packing choices..

my question is on the tank top rule I see mentioned on these boards and people seem to debate over. I am a female in my mid-20's and I am planning on for informal nights wearing a cute knee length skirts, with heels and nice (not spagetti strap) tank tops. I would consider these outfits appropriate for someone my age and I would wear it to a nice resturant. I have also considered wearing these nice tank tops with black khaki capris and heels.

I will also bring a sweater since I get cold easily, so if there was a problem I guess I could put it on.

Can anyone help calm me and tell me this is ok?

Something we all have to consider in this great "jeans debate" or any dining room debate is that we all have different points of view. I often see posters writing things like "wear what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home", or something of that sort. The thing is, we all have different homes and what I would wear to a nice restaurant in Oklahoma (nice jeans or a denim skirt would certainly be appropriate and the norm) is probably not the same as what someone from NYC or Florida or even the Midwest would wear to a nice restaurant in their hometown.

I guess my point is that when some people put on a nice outfit that may involve denim, they feel as though they are dressed quite appropriately because that is considered dressed-up at home. Who am I, or anyone else, to tell them they are not dressed appropriately because it should be entirely up to them as long as they follow Carnival's rules? If cruises operated on "Southern dress codes", I'm sure some of the more glamorously-dressed cruisers would be offended if people kept telling them their nice pantsuits and designer fashions were out of place and inappropriate. It goes both ways....no need to be condescending or rude...just wear what makes you comfortable and follow the cruiseline's stated rules.

Actually, Carnival's written policy is silent on the matter of jeans in the dining room.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

That said, common sense and proper manners should prevail. Jeans are permitted, but are certainly not appropriate.

I disagree, while jeans are not directly mentioned by the faq, The faq does specifically define what Carnival feels is resort casual and formal wear. Of course if I were corporate counsel, I might of shored up that hole :)

Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit

Archived