transportation advice

MigMan

We are planning to spend the day at Coco Reef for the day and are looking the for the best/fastest/most cost efficient way of getting there from the dockyard. In looking at the transportation map, it looks like we can take the ferry to Hamilton, then the #7 bus to a bus stop near the resort. Timing for this scenario looks to be about 35-40 minutes. Having taken the bus directly from the dockyard in the past, which took 1 full hour, this seems to be a time saver. We are also trying to avoid the expense of a cab, although we do have the option of sharing one to the resort.

Is there anyone with more experience using the transportation system in Bermuda who can comment on this, or give some better advice?

Really appreciate the help!

We are planning to spend the day at Coco Reef for the day and are looking the for the best/fastest/most cost efficient way of getting there from the dockyard. In looking at the transportation map, it looks like we can take the ferry to Hamilton, then the #7 bus to a bus stop near the resort. Timing for this scenario looks to be about 35-40 minutes. Having taken the bus directly from the dockyard in the past, which took 1 full hour, this seems to be a time saver. We are also trying to avoid the expense of a cab, although we do have the option of sharing one to the resort.

Is there anyone with more experience using the transportation system in Bermuda who can comment on this, or give some better advice?

It should not have taken an hour to get from Dockyard to Elbow Beach by bus. It should have been about 40 minutes.

If you take the ferry to Hamilton and the number 7 to Elbow beach I don't see it being much of a time saver. Also don't forget you have to walk from the ferry terminal to the bus station. And you would have to be lucky for there not to be some waiting time for a bus at the terminal.

The major advantage of taking the ferry to Hamilton and then a #7 bus is avoiding the mob of cruise passengers wanting to board the #7 at Dockyard. Time-wise there should be little difference between the two routes...about 45 minutes, assuming you don't have to wait for the bus.

Edited by njhorseman

Thanks for the feedback. How far is the 7 bus stop from the ferry dock in Hamilton?

I remember having to make constant stops on the bus from the dockyard, leading to an hour ride, so maybe the shorter distance on the bus will alleviate that. And, good point about the crowds.

Any experience with taking a cab, as far as expense?

Take the ferry to Hamilton and a taxi to coco reef. Avoids the walk to the bus terminal and the walk down the hill to the resort. The front desk will call a taxi for you when you are ready to leave. Take taxi back to ferry and ferry back to ship.

Thanks for the feedback. How far is the 7 bus stop from the ferry dock in Hamilton?

I remember having to make constant stops on the bus from the dockyard, leading to an hour ride, so maybe the shorter distance on the bus will alleviate that. And, good point about the crowds.

You have to go to the bus terminal. It is about a third of a mile. I would estimate it is a seven or eight minute walk. The bus from Hamiltion will make some stops too. It is going to have passengers. People who live on or are staying on the east end have to transfer at the bus terminal.

Edited by Charles4515

We have been to Coco Reef twice now and likely will return again in a few weeks. The last time, we took the ferry to Hamilton, grabbed a cab right across the street from the ferry terminal for about $20 (tip included) right to Coco. When we were done, the desk called a cab for the same ($20) back to the ferry. It was great.

Ummmmm, so you don't want to share the taxi?

Edited by mizlorinj

We are trying to look at all of the possibilities and see which one might work best for us. Still plan on talking about it but want to make sure we have all options, especially for the return to the dockyard. But, please don't hold it against us if we choose not to share the taxi.

My sister and I will be in Bermuda next week on NCL Breakaway. My sister uses a mobility scooter (totally collapsible) and she can walk short distances and up/down a few steps.

We're planning on going to Harbor Nights Wednesday night in Hamilton and now I'm thinking we should spend Thursday at Coco Reef Resort. She really wants to go to the beach and the resort will give us flexibility if she needs to get out of the heat, etc.

We'll obviously take the ferry to Hamilton on Wednesday but now I'm trying to figure out the best way to get to the resort. The bus isn't an option but is it just easier to pay the $45 for the cab directly from Dockside to get to the resort, instead of the ferry to Hamilton and then $20 for cab to resort? When we buy our ferry ticket on Wednesday do they offer a two-day pass that would save some more money? How much time/money would we save by doing ferry/taxi versus taxi only?

There are also steps down to the pool, and the beach is below the stairs as shown in the photo above.

Easiest way is the taxi to the resort. The bus drops you off along the main road; the resort is about 1/4 mile off the main road.

About passes: yes you can buy one, two or three day passes.

See you soon!

Edited by mizlorinj