Tipping on Viking

Saba2009

On Viking tours whether included or not, we tipped the equivalent of $2-4 per person in mostly Euros often rounding up for longer tours to preserve small bills and coins. We also tipped min of $1 per person to tour bus drivers but this does not include shuttles to walking tours. These were for the typical hour or two city tours from Viking. Day long tours such as to Paris from Rouen resulted in bigger tips.

Gibraltar had very small vans where the guide did the driving as well and we tipped him as a guide.

I believe Viking has tour tipping recommendations on website.

Port Hope: Just looked at my invoice from July 1, 2013. We booked a DV 6 on the September 27 cruise for $3,999 per person (without air, transfers, gratuities). To get the $4249-$5049 range above for DVs, did you convert GBP to USD, or was that from the U.S. brochure? After two years, I'm now wondering if our travel agent gave us a small discount! I didn't keep the original brochure with prices.

In the spring of 2013 I read about Viking Oceans, went online and ordered a brochure. The prices I quoted are from that brochure. ( It's really more of a magazine, silver grey in colour and says "Reinventing Ocean Cruising: Announcing the Maiden Voyage of Viking Star")

I am a Canadian as you may have gathered from the extra "u's" scattered throughout my messages but we paid the price I quoted in U.S. Dollars just about the same time as you paid.

So, yes, it does look to me as if you got a bit of a discount.

Thank you for the tour guide tipping information. Today we received our cruise package. I'm still reading the information (lots! really impressed with how much detail was provided on so many things!) but I DID come across a paragraph or two that covers optional tips to guides and bus drivers. Between what people have mentioned and Viking has mentioned, I'm set.

Port Hope, in our package was some info from our travel agent. There is a $200 discount reflected, but I can't tell if it was from the TA or cruise line. The total cruise price person (cruise only, no air) was $3,849 so I still can't reconcile what we paid to what was in the brochure you quoted. However, it really doesn't matter. I'm certainly happy with the price, however it was computed!

Leo, last year we did that van tour in Gib, though on our own and paid for by us. I loved those crazy monkeys.....pre-trip, my cousin told me there wasn't much to do in Gib, but we ended up loving it.

We will do automatic tipping but we will be deciding on the amount, not Viking

Read this in Viking Ocean cruises terms and conditions.

Gratuities – whilst no service charge is made on board it is customary for customers to give gratuities during or at the end of your cruise depending on standards of service.

If this the case why does the UK price" include gratuities ".

If there is a daily auto rate added to your account - what is it?

Dear Fair Weather Golfer,

The prepaid gratuities are a promotion come on. I think in the states you have 2 for 1 promotion offers which I have not seen in the UK.

On the viking Homelands my prepaid Gratuities per Guest were ($14 x 14 Nights) $196. As others we left our European money for the room stewart who gave great service.

Yours

Ingra Tor

It will be interesting to see whether the Viking onboard accounting system will recognise that Viking marketed the cruise to its UK customers as including gratuities. I will of course give some extra gratuities to our cabin steward and waiting staff if we develop a favourite but it would be unfortunate if I have to queue up to have the auto-gratituity removed. Viking has chosen to market the UK and US market differently so hopefully the staff on board do not miss out.

Neil

Dear Neil,

The onboard accounting does recognise included gratuities.

On the TV or paper Guest Statement that you get at the end of the cruise it showed as "Prepaid Gratuities ($14 x 14 Nights) 196 on the debit line and then the same on the Credit line. This is per guest.

Yours

Ingra Tor

Dear Neil,

On the TV or paper Guest Statement that you get at the end of the cruise it showed as "Prepaid Gratuities ($14 x 14 Nights) 196 on the debit line and then the same on the Credit line. This is per guest.

Yours

Ingra Tor

Ingra

Many thanks for the confirmation that included gratuities will be accounted for correctly.

Neil

• 2 months later...

Just got back from cruising the Danube on the Viking Njord. I was also a little concerned about how the suggested gratuity rate of $12/Euros (so close now in actual exchange rate) per day/per person was distributed among the service staff. I asked a staff member I became friendly with, but he said that they were forbidden to speak of it to passengers. We had the suggested $168 added to our final bill, but then personally handed Euros to five crew members who we felt stood out as far as service level provided (mostly 20 but up to 50 to one individual who had particularly exceeded expectations). I still feel kind of weird about it...was it too little, was it too much? Was it rude to single out certain individuals? Ugh...so confusing.

Dear Neil,

Yours

Ingra Tor

Thank you for that.

It certainly was a promotion when I booked.

I don't see why Viking Ocean would be different from Viking River.

Just got back from cruising the Danube on the Viking Njord. I was also a little concerned about how the suggested gratuity rate of $12/Euros (so close now in actual exchange rate) per day/per person was distributed among the service staff. I asked a staff member I became friendly with, but he said that they were forbidden to speak of it to passengers. We had the suggested $168 added to our final bill, but then personally handed Euros to five crew members who we felt stood out as far as service level provided (mostly 20 but up to 50 to one individual who had particularly exceeded expectations). I still feel kind of weird about it...was it too little, was it too much? Was it rude to single out certain individuals? Ugh...so confusing.

We have not been long back off Viking Hermod on the Rhone. On the last day i approached the Reception and stated I wanted to pay the gratuities through my onboard account.

While the receptionist couldn't add them to the account then she did annotate my statement...

22334323610_e0567feb55_z.jpg

...and my credit card slip shows the full amount.

The point I make regarding who gets the gratuities is that I believe that it is the staff though there is a devision between the Programme director and the remainder of the staff.

If you want to tip individuals of the crew make sure you pay them directly in cash. The Viking tip system where you pay to the system go directly to Viking and does not go to the crew. You probably want it to go to the crew! Then pay directly! Unless you want to sponsor Viking of course.

See my above comment. It is my opinion that you have the wrong end of the stick.

sweetpolly, those of us commenting on this forum in this section are going on, or have been on, the new Viking Ocean line, so tipping may be handled differently on the river cruises. It has been too long for me to remember what the policy was on Viking Rivers to comment. However, my belief is that, especially on Viking Ocean, the amount a person chooses to tip, and to whom, is up to the individual. What you tipped on the Njord seems similar to what we tip on an ocean cruise. If the service was good, and I imagine it was, you did the right thing, even though the automatic tipping amount was already added to your bill. Don't let a few people on here make you feel that you shouldn't have tipped, or tipped less. Tipping is always a good thing in my book. Once I've paid a lot of money for a nice river or ocean cruise, and $25 for a sit-down lunch in the typical airport, and bought souvenirs and paid for excursions and diversions, it seems lame to me to be stingy with tips, especially if some people exceeded your expectations.

We were on Viking Star (ocean liner) and the service was fabulous. There are SO many people who contribute to that experience, and probably appreciate and need all the money they can get, so I was happy to give some a bit extra. Also, the amount of the automatic tip was very reasonable. We've been charged more on a comparable ocean cruise line.

sweetpolly, those of us commenting on this forum in this section are going on, or have been on, the new Viking Ocean line, so tipping may be handled differently on the river cruises. It has been too long for me to remember what the policy was on Viking Rivers to comment. However, my belief is that, especially on Viking Ocean, the amount a person chooses to tip, and to whom, is up to the individual. What you tipped on the Njord seems similar to what we tip on an ocean cruise. If the service was good, and I imagine it was, you did the right thing, even though the automatic tipping amount was already added to your bill. Don't let a few people on here make you feel that you shouldn't have tipped, or tipped less. Tipping is always a good thing in my book. Once I've paid a lot of money for a nice river or ocean cruise, and $25 for a sit-down lunch in the typical airport, and bought souvenirs and paid for excursions and diversions, it seems lame to me to be stingy with tips, especially if some people exceeded your expectations.

We were on Viking Star (ocean liner) and the service was fabulous. There are SO many people who contribute to that experience, and probably appreciate and need all the money they can get, so I was happy to give some a bit extra. Also, the amount of the automatic tip was very reasonable. We've been charged more on a comparable ocean cruise line.

Nice comment. A cruiser after my own heart.

7724232506_d5964282b9_z.jpg

• 1 month later...

Newbie to Ocean Viking. Doing the RT 11 day West Indies Explorer.

Tips.... What's the rate pp in US for Veranda cabin.

Does that tip cover servicer onboard and also the driver and guides on daily tours???

Does Viking offer a loyalty program, similar to being Elite or Diamond on Celebrity /RCL respectively.

Is it hard for V1 and V2 to get specially dining reservation???

All so new to us................. but sounds exciting.

Solvent.....appreciate your blogs.

• 3 weeks later...
Newbie to Ocean Viking. Doing the RT 11 day West Indies Explorer.

Tips.... What's the rate pp in US for Veranda cabin.

Does that tip cover servicer onboard and also the driver and guides on daily tours???

Does Viking offer a loyalty program, similar to being Elite or Diamond on Celebrity /RCL respectively.

Is it hard for V1 and V2 to get specially dining reservation???

All so new to us................. but sounds exciting.

Solvent.....appreciate your blogs.

This will be our first ocean cruise with Viking - 1/6/2017 but we had a fabulous time on The Bragi, Budapest to Amsterdam perviously.

Literature states that the daily gratuity rate on The Star is $14 pp per day. Not that much higher than what most cruise lines are charging which is about $12 pp per day. This covers all service onboard but one can always additionally tip any staff member that may give extraordinary service. Tips for tour drivers and guides are additional and appreciated.

I guess we "commoners" down in V1 (we're in cabin 3076) apparently don't have first choice with specialty dining but I'm sure, if we want, we'll be able to get in some evening, if desired.

Did some checking through our TA, and have been assured that the early problems, on The Star, with service onboard, tours, and the ships propulsion system have been fixed since there are usually some initial problems to be solved on all new vessels.

Looking forward to a grand time on The Viking Star. :)

Edited by PROCRUISE

Tips for tour guides and drivers are not included in the gratuities. They are paid separately and at your discretion at the end of each tour. The recommended amount is 2 euro pp for the guide and 1 euro pp for the driver ( if there is one). We normally pay the recommended amount for a half- day tour and more for a longer tour. We have found the Viking guides to be quite good.

There is a loyalty program, called Explorer's Society. Once you have sailed with Viking, you are a member and on your second sailing, will be invited to a special cocktail party. Also, you receive additional discounts on future sailings for being a past passenger.

Becki

We cruised in late September. I forget what "V" category we were in, but it was the cheapest one that got to pre-book specialty restaurants. I booked those early on after the booking window opened (maybe a day after it opened) and had no problem getting days and times I wanted. (We don't like to eat late, and like many others, prefer sea days spaced out among the days of the cruise.) We were also able to get an additional reservation on board at one of the specialty restaurants, although it was for 8 rather than the earlier time we would have preferred.

I would suggest pre-booking your specialty restaurant reservations if you're picky about days/times, but not worrying too much about making reservations if you're in the group that is last to book. (Some people earlier felt this was unfair, but of course, you DO get what you pay for!!)

As for the daily tip amount, tips may be more than what Celebrity charges (but I think it's a little less than what Oceania charges), but I felt the amount was well worth it. We loved the whole Viking Star experience. There was very little to dislike.

If you're interested, I have pictures of the Star and some documents on my pbase.com/roothy123 site. Also on there, a bunch of galleries back, are some pictures of cruises we've done in the Caribbean. I don't know if that's where you're going, WAVTAM, as cruise lines describe areas differently. However, it may be interesting to take a quick look if some of the ports are similar to yours. We've cruised in that area on Celebrity and Oceania - Celebrity to the more common ports and Oceania to somewhat more unusual ports.

WAVTAM,

Oops! Didn't make note that your cruise was the West Indies b/f replying. Sorry. So, the comment re euros does not apply, but the good news is you won't have to worry about securing all those coins at each port Like you do for euros. :D. I would believe the tipping for guides & drivers would be the same only in $. So, $2 pp per guide and $1 pp per driver each per tour. You will likely find info on this in your cabin once you board.

Becki