Why do you Cruise?

3Putt77

It may seem like a stupid topic but I'm genuinely curious. I went on my first cruise about 20 years ago and just went on my second cruise last month. Obviously there wasn't social media when I took my first cruise so when I started to use it for my second cruise I was amazed at the frequency of cruises for many on these forums.

So I have to ask, why so many cruises? Is it a vacation or more of a lifestyle? What keeps bringing you back?

Thanks,

3Putt77

We find cruises are the easiest type of travel at our age and health.

I want to thank all of you for the wonderful responses to my question. It was WAY more than I expected.

I realize now that there were many parts of our family cruise that warranted more appreciation than I gave. Cruises are quite unique and I agree it puts people in a mood that reflects their better selves. I could watch the sea for hours also.

I'm still a working stiff but hope to be you in a decade or so. Thanks again and God bless!!

Fun question! For me, it all started at work when somebody said "hey, the cruise ships are all docked down the street, let's all go to Alaska." And off we went.

I liked it enough, found a cruise buddy from work from the Alaska cruise and we went on a Caribbean cruise - I'd always wanted to see the Caribbean.

Third cruise with said cruise buddy, met my husband (sorry for repeating), and he'd already been on a lot of cruises so I now had a new cruise buddy.

It's a fun way to get to paradise. But the allure kind of wore off for me. I'm hoping to get it back some day. Meanwhile, we travel the U.S. in our RV.

I do not have to ask my DH is we have enough money to cover dinner.

I do not have to wash, cook, clean or otherwise have anything to do with food preparation besides putting ketchup on my burger. Dressing on my salad, or cream in my coffee.

I do not have to get up to feed the cats. Make the coffee, make the bed, make it to work, or even attempt to make time for my DH, or myself.

It is a time, if I'm lucky two times a year, when I have absolutely no stress what so ever. I eat when I'm hungry, sleep when I'm tired, and rise when I'm ready.

We cruise because it is the best value we've found for a vacation. It is also the most relaxing way to go for us. I mean, we've got a full-time driver, cook, dishwasher and housekeeper. Plus we only have to walk a few minutes from our room and we can be at a restaurant, theater, the gym, the spa, or the pool. And we get to visit beautiful islands and countries. What's not to love? :p

We cruise to get away from the madness in the world, just the two of us. Cell phones are turned off as soon as the departure horn sounds. The family knows we are on vacation and there willbe no calls until we return to home port. No laptop computers, just tablets for pictures. While you only get a small picture of the ports we get to see some the world. I thought I would never see Hawaii and cruise through the Panama canal in my lifetime but I did.

We cruise for all the reasons mentioned above - having a cruise to anticipate and plan for keeps our spirits intact on tough work days/weeks/months :D. No intention of eliminating cruises because of the economy. We save, live simply, drive our well-maintained cars until they drop (the 1990 Honda has 250,000+ miles), and contingency plan because these adjustments are always going to happen.

Edited by LoriPhil

So I don't have to think or worry about anything...my biggest decisions will be do I take a nap and what do I want for dessert, and if I want that extra drink I don't have to worry about getting home...someone else is doing the driving.