Waterproofing shoes for rain HELP

dlhoward

We are going to Juneau where it will be in the mid to upper 50's but raining. I won't need snow boots but don't want my shoes to get wet. I have tennis shoes and a pair like this http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Merrell-Womens-Jungle-Moc-Shoe&i=452328 that I can spray 2-3 coats of water resistant spray on them. Which ones would be better? Or is there some way to keep them from getting wet besides the spray? I don't want to take up any more room in my suitcase as I am buying some things while I'm there. I saw something about duct tape or didn't know if somehow putting some plastic or a baggie around them would work. Need some ideas. Thanks.

I am sure just spraying them will work if you are just doing simple excursions. I just bought a pair of leather boat shoes and they were fine in the rain - but I was just walking around the towns, not doing any hiking. Unless you are doing a lot of hiking in the bush areas, you should be fine.

I saw something about duct tape or didn't know if somehow putting some plastic or a baggie around them would work. Need some ideas.

Umm... well... I mean, really? As gently as possible, I am going to steer you away from that idea. I think you know how silly bags on your feet will look. :o The pictures you take in Alaska are going to be breathtaking, and I want you to look fabulous too. ;):D No bags, OK?

The spray is a good idea, applying several coats per the instructions. I would not use the tennis shoes - keep them on the ship to change into after you come back from port days. Alternatively, you might look into a pair of "cheap" booties (you know the ones I mean - "pleather", short, no heel, somewhat fashionable! :D ) and take those instead, sprayed of course.

It may not rain - it was absolutely beautiful with not a cloud in the sky when we went in May, but twelve years ago we were drenched in Ketchikan. Keep it simple but be prepared. Have fun!

I am not sure how the waterproof spray would affect the look of your shoes if they are suede. However one 7$ can went very far.. 2 coats each on 2 pairs of sneakers, my backpack and camera bag, with some leftover. Maybe test the spray on the walking shoes in a spot that isnt noticeable? I would spray your sneakers too just in case it's not going to harm them. It rains at home too right?

Since you say that you will not be hiking trails other than well used trails in sightseeing areas and you will be shopping and sightseeing, and if the tennis shoes are the type with the leather like uppers they will work well for sightseeing and shopping. I would not recommend canvas tennis shoes.

We are going to Juneau where it will be in the mid to upper 50's but raining. I won't need snow boots but don't want my shoes to get wet. I have tennis shoes and a pair like this http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Merrell-Womens-Jungle-Moc-Shoe&i=452328 that I can spray 2-3 coats of water resistant spray on them. Which ones would be better? Or is there some way to keep them from getting wet besides the spray? I don't want to take up any more room in my suitcase as I am buying some things while I'm there. I saw something about duct tape or didn't know if somehow putting some plastic or a baggie around them would work. Need some ideas. Thanks.

Would you spray them at home?

You're not going in a swamp, you will be in the capital of AK. You have been reading too many threads by people who don't know what to do. Don't waste your time. Just go and have a good day.

I am sorry to disagree with the previous poster. I have been in Alaska many times and have seen it raining so hard even the seagulls were walking. Unless you have Gore-Tex lined shoes then I would certainly recommend spraying them with several coats of water proofing. All outdoor stores have a brand that they carry, I would look at Cabelas, REI or Bass and either visit one of their shops or order it online. We are heading to the UK this weekend for a cruise and a week in London post cruise and I have just finished spraying 2 pairs of shoes as I know we are going to see a lot of rain and wet shoes are hard to dry aboard a ship.

If not hiking, Alaska is no different than any other area when it is raining. What do you wear in the rain in your home city? I've never seen people wear bags to stay dry

This is not a fashion statement but I have seen many a person wearing green garbage bags in Alaska....which are just slightly more useful than a dollar store pancho.

hey P-D, have a good trip. Before crossing the street, look right, then left, then right again.

Well thank you, I always have trouble with that and more that once have been close to road kill. Actually, I don't know why I have bothered waterproofing shoes, Liz and Phil are not in residence so are sending over the carriage and some white horses.....but the real important thing is the free parking.:D