Istanbul Grand Bizaar Roof

Never mind the risk of terrorist attacks. What about this!:eek:

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2015/08/17/istanbul-grand-bazaar-dangers-roof-collapse/

Well, isn't that just special. I was upset because the Grand Bazaar was going to be closed due to a big holiday when we're in Istanbul. Not so much anymore! I'll content myself with the bazaar in Kusadasi. Hope their roof's OK.

We live in PA where many of our highway bridges are not up to current safety standards. So my concern would be driving to an airport to get to Istanbul :). As to the Grand Bazaar, yes, the place is old and in need of repair as is many things in our country. As world travelers and being somewhat adventurous, DW and I would be back at the Grand Bazaar in a heartbeat (been there about 7 or 8 times).

Life is not about sure things but more about conquering one's own demons. Last week I was out for my normal speed walk (about 10 miles a day) along the river in Harrisburg PA. I walk on a paved walkway that is located along a river bank and a few feet from a major city street. Without any warning a car came speeding across this major street (from a side) street, across the walkway about 100 feet in front of my path, and then flew over the river bank (about 10 feet above a lower walkway) and ultimately crashed off the lower walkway (just missing a man and his young daughter) ending up in the river a few feet from shore. The lady managed to crawl out of the car and made it to the riverbank before collapsing (she survived). The lady was trying to commit suicide and failed. If I had been walking a little faster my life would have been over while simply walking on a safe sidewalk. When the Police asked me if I was OK, I told him I was fine and simply said, "you need some luck in life." I always smile at smokers who tell me we take too many risks when we travel. Enjoy life. Don't worry, be happy.

Hank

Love your attitude Hank - glad you are ok!

Does one have a choice :). That auto wreck actually made the local news (they showed a tow truck pulling the wrecked car out of the river). And it was a lucky day for quite a few folks. The woman survived and hopefully got some needed help to encourage her not to try again. Her car went across 3 lanes of traffic (and she was going at least 50), across 2 popular walkways...and somehow she missed hitting anything (but concrete and the water). The irony is that I walk for my health and endurance and it was almost the end of me. Perhaps I need to reconsider and just spend my days in my comfy chair with some bon bons :)

Hank

Does one have a choice :). That auto wreck actually made the local news (they showed a tow truck pulling the wrecked car out of the river). And it was a lucky day for quite a few folks. The woman survived and hopefully got some needed help to encourage her not to try again. Her car went across 3 lanes of traffic (and she was going at least 50), across 2 popular walkways...and somehow she missed hitting anything (but concrete and the water). The irony is that I walk for my health and endurance and it was almost the end of me. Perhaps I need to reconsider and just spend my days in my comfy chair with some bon bons :)

Hank

HaHa…. or buy a treadmill :o As a side note - glad she missed you as we all have come to depend on your advice and tips here on cruise critic !