Southampton Hotels

kandj05

Where have you stayed overnight in Southampton? What hotel(s) do you recommend? Is it near the port? If not, is it easy to get a cab ride or shuttle?

I saw someone stayed at Holiday Inn. Are there other hotels you prefer?

Thanks!

Where have you stayed overnight in Southampton? What hotel(s) do you recommend? Is it near the port? If not, is it easy to get a cab ride or shuttle?

I saw someone stayed at Holiday Inn. Are there other hotels you prefer?

Thanks!

Hi Jackie & Kurt,

We at flying from the states to London then on to Southampton , staying 2 nights at the Argyle Lodge - Guest house, Southampton. Booked through Expedia for $234. Hope this is of assistance to you

Hi Jackie & Kurt,

We at flying from the states to London then on to Southampton , staying 2 nights at the Argyle Lodge - Guest house, Southampton. Booked through Expedia for $234. Hope this is of assistance to you

It gives us options, so thank you! How far was the pier from Argyle Lodge?

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker and were very pleased with it. Booked a dinner and breakfast package and again were happy with the meals. Tomorrow night we are staying at the Premier Inn - West Quay only for price and the fact that it is central and highly recommended.

Prior to sailing back to New York on the QM2 this past May, we stayed at the Premier Inn, West Quay for 1 night. We found it to be satisfactory and we could have walked to the port (and we did a trial run earlier in the morning) but because we had so much luggage, we decided to take a taxi which was quite reasonable.

The Premier Inn was very reasonable and they have a buffet breakfast in the morning. We got there too early to check in but they let us leave our cases till our room was ready. Bed was comfortable and we got a great night's sleep!

Edited by hancogran

Prior to my transatlantic, I'm staying at the Novotel Southampton. Very close to the port, good reviews and I got a great price.

Tracy

Close to City trerminal not all ships go from there.

Eg: Escape that sails from a different part of the docks Ocean Terminal.

We're just back from a cruise from Southampton and also stayed at the Novotel on a Park and Stay basis. We had a great stay. Room was very good, breakfast excellent and right opposite the West Quay shopping mall.

Like the majority of pre cruise hotels in Southampton It is actually within walking distance of the piers, but with a load of luggage it's more sensible to take a taxi. Our taxi was included in our Park and Stay deal at the Novotel.

• 2 weeks later...

We are back from our BI cruise and a week in London. In Southampton we stayed at the Premier Inn-West Quay very pleased with it. Its rather hard to describe.....maybe a higher end budget hotel, certainly better than a 6 motel but not as nice as a Holiday Inn. The hotel is modern and the room was large enough, very clean, the staff friendly, enthusiastic and helpful. The location is an easy walk to the South Quay Mall and High Street. An able bodied person could walk to the cruise terminals and coach station with their luggage .... otherwise either are about an 8 GBP cab ride. The food in the restaurant was average but certainly ample. There is a convenience store that is just outside of the entrance to the hotel that carries a wide variety to last minute items including wines and spirits. We would certainly stay there again when cruising from Southampton.

The first time we sailed out of Southampton, we stayed at the Novotel and we really liked it. It is walkable to the West Quay shopping centre. The second time, we were at the Premier Inn which is lower in price but we did not like it as well. Liked the buffet breakfast and the proximity to West Quay. Didn't like that we had to pay up front for our 3 night stay. Yes, I know there are prepay rates but we didn't choose that.

In 6 weeks, we will be at the Holiday Inn.

There's a brand spanking new Travelodge West Quay that is worth checking out.

THis is getting known now so prices on cruise days will creep up(like premier inn).

The location is central, on a lesser used road, handy for the pub and curry house.

Also has parking, I think it was free when they opened, now £5.

Down hill to the mayflower roundabout for City Terminal and a bit better positioned for Ocean terminal than a few other hotels.

Hi,

We used to stay in the Grand Harbour when it was owned by De Vere, the last time we stayed there was about 3 years ago, it was starting to look a bit shabby and needed some money spending on it so we decided to look for somewhere different.

Outside of the city there are some lovely hotels, we found a beautiful pub/hotel called The Pilgrim Inn, it is about 10 minutes from the cruise terminals by car. The rooms are very comfortable and well appointed. The restaurant serves great evening meals and the breakfast is second to none.

Another one I would recommend is the Boathouse in Hythe.

Pete

Hi,

We used to stay in the Grand Harbour when it was owned by De Vere, the last time we stayed there was about 3 years ago, it was starting to look a bit shabby and needed some money spending on it so we decided to look for somewhere different.

Outside of the city there are some lovely hotels, we found a beautiful pub/hotel called The Pilgrim Inn, it is about 10 minutes from the cruise terminals by car. The rooms are very comfortable and well appointed. The restaurant serves great evening meals and the breakfast is second to none.

Another one I would recommend is the Boathouse in Hythe.

Pete

The GH has changed, I understand much nicer now.

loads of places within a morning(upto 2hr) drive of a cruise

cruise mornings are dead for anyone driving.

Does anyone know if any of the hotels in Southampton offer a free shuttle from the hotel to the cruise port? :confused:

I am not personally aware of any' date=' however I would be inclined to focus on my hotel and rate then a free shuttle. Most of the hotels in the West Quay Mall area (the new downtown) are about 6 to 10 GBP from the cruise terminals.[/size']