Did something happen to the Glory?

txponycruiser

It may be because someone went overboard. I saw in a discussion (which site shall not be mentioned here) that it was a lady and she took her own life after recently losing her husband and son. She was recovered deceased. But I don't know if they changed itineraries because of it or not.

Here is the article.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/08/articles/disappearances-1/man-overboard-from-carnival-glory/

Edited by firemanbobswife

The Carnival Glory was rerouted due to the storm. There was also a 65yr old woman who went overboard the same week. Both events were on the news and can be found on line.

The storm hasn't hit yet. Also, some new itineraries are routing TO there, not away from there.

I read the article and apparently the woman had dementia. So very sad and I can relate as my father has Alzheimer's. My mom has indicated they want to go on our next cruise in 2017 but now I'm not sure that's a good idea. Prayers to the family and to those that witnessed this unfortunate event.

As for the storm, we were in GC the same day the Glory was supposed to be there. It was beautiful with no bad weather.

From Cruise Critic:

Update (August 23, 9:29 a.m. EDT): Carnival has rerouted one more ship, Carnival Liberty. Details below.

Update (August 23, 8:47 a.m. EDT): Danny has been downgraded to a tropical storm, with 50-mph winds. According to the National Hurricane Center, tropical storm warnings are in effect for Antigua, Barbuda, Montserrat, St. Kitts, Nevis, and Anguilla. There also are tropical storm watches for St. Maarten, Guadeloupe, St. Barthelemy, St. Martin, Saba and St. Eustatius.

Update (August 22, 10:44 a.m. EDT): Norwegian Cruise Line is the latest to make itinerary changes in an effort to avoid Hurricane Danny. The new ports of call are listed below.

(August 22, 7:43 a.m. EDT) -- At least two cruise lines have been affected by Hurricane Danny, the first hurricane to hit the Atlantic this season.

Royal Caribbean and Carnival altered ships' Eastern Caribbean itineraries to avoid the Category 2 storm, which is heading toward the Leeward Islands (St. Thomas, St. Maarten and St. Kitts, to name a few). Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas and Adventure of the Seas and Carnival Glory will visit the Western Caribbean instead.

The storm -- which has maximum sustained winds of 100 miles per hour -- is expected to weaken into a tropical storm on Sunday.

See the most up-to-date list of itinerary changes, below.

Royal Caribbean

Oasis of the Seas: Oasis' August 22 sailing, which departs from Fort Lauderdale, was forced to scrap its Eastern Caribbean itinerary for Nassau, Costa Maya and Cozumel.

Adventure of the Seas: Scheduled to leave San Juan August 22, the ship will not stop in St. John, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. According to member gunkelj on our Cruise Critic message boards, its new itinerary includes St. Maarten, Aruba, Bonaire and St. Thomas.

Carnival

Carnival Glory: The seven-night cruise, scheduled to depart August 22 from Miami, will no longer call at Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. Instead, the ship will visit Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel.

Carnival Liberty: Liberty will sail most of its original itinerary. The ship, which leaves from San Juan, will spend two days at sea instead of one, bumping its St. Thomas call from August 24 to the 29th. It will then continue to Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten and St. Thomas before returning to San Juan. St. Kitts will be missed due to the extra sea day.

Norwegian

Norwegian Getaway: The Miami-based ship will now call at Nassau, Ocho Rios and Cozumel in lieu of its original itinerary.

Other ships, such as Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas and Independence of the Seas have similar itineraries. We'll continue to keep you updated as more information becomes available.

Cruising during hurricane season? Visit our Hurricane Zone for what to expect, tips and more.

--By Gina Kramer, Associate Editor

I believe there is an emergency button to push. Or run down to guest services (or grab the first crew member you see). I'm sure Carnival did everything they could. You can't just turn a ship around and depending on how high she fell....well...you just don't have many options.

Prayers for her family and those that witnessed it.

First of all, the Carnival Glory is a 110,000 ton ship. It will take close to 30 minutes to stop and reverse course. To execute an emergency turn maneuver can take at least 20 minutes. Launching a boat requires a ship to be stopped dead. Now those are the navigation issues and they are the same for any and all ships of great size.

Yes the responding posters are correct that a call should have been made to 911. That goes to either security or to the bridge, depending on the time of day.

I am sorry for this traumatic happening, but the fact is that when one goes off a cruise ship, it is usually fatal.

Doc

Wasn't there so I can't talk from experience, however...

I love how this family ran to the media with just how bad CCL's response was when they have no freakin' clue how these things are handed.

Of course the similarly ignorant media will bang the drum in the name of journalistic sensationalism so as to rally up the ignorant masses with another "CCL did this wrong" story.

And of course that cruise ship chasing lawyer will be on top of it too trying to get people file suits representative of their ignorance.

SMH at people...

It may be because someone went overboard. I saw in a discussion (which site shall not be mentioned here) that it was a lady and she took her own life after recently losing her husband and son. She was recovered deceased. But I don't know if they changed itineraries because of it or not.

Here is the article.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/08/articles/disappearances-1/man-overboard-from-carnival-glory/

Look at the date. That was August 19th, not today. Glory's itinerary was changed to accommodate Danny's safe passage through the Eastern Caribbean.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

I read the article and apparently the woman had dementia. So very sad and I can relate as my father has Alzheimer's. My mom has indicated they want to go on our next cruise in 2017 but now I'm not sure that's a good idea. Prayers to the family and to those that witnessed this unfortunate event.

As for the storm, we were in GC the same day the Glory was supposed to be there. It was beautiful with no bad weather.

It's not a good idea to take a demented person out of their normal environment...they tend to get very confused and upset!

Wasn't there so I can't talk from experience, however...

I love how this family ran to the media with just how bad CCL's response was when they have no freakin' clue how these things are handed.

Of course the similarly ignorant media will bang the drum in the name of journalistic sensationalism so as to rally up the ignorant masses with another "CCL did this wrong" story.

And of course that cruise ship chasing lawyer will be on top of it too trying to get people file suits representative of their ignorance.

SMH at people...

I was traumatized reading that article. Someone needs to give me a free cruise.

Would like to hear a fair and balanced report of these tragic events.

I agree would like to hear from another passenger on the same sailing...

Wonder if this family is going to sue Carnival because "Gary says the situation has left a “lasting trauma” for his 14-year-old daughter. “We had to send her back into the cabin. She was hysterical. She’s 14 years of age, she shouldn’t be seeing something like that. It was handled totally inappropriately.”

Although the beginning of the article says "Gary Terry, his wife Dawn and son Dale were out on their balcony after the ship had just embarked from Honduras on Wednesday, August 19th.

That’s when they noticed a body in the water."

SO, why did they let the 14 year old out on the balcony ???? If I saw a body in the water, there is no way I would allow my 14 year old to witness that

:( :(

Look at the date. That was August 19th, not today. Glory's itinerary was changed to accommodate Danny's safe passage through the Eastern Caribbean.

Really? I'm well aware of when the article is dated. Here is a picture of the Glory's itinerary from last week for your viewing pleasure.

a1d7e0c7e8b28d1176fd08eaab7d0ed6.jpg

I can assure that their itinerary wasn't changed due to the storm because they were supposed to be in Grand Cayman on the same day the Dream was. I was on the Dream last week and in Grand Cayman where all the locals were expecting three ships on the 20th. Only 2 arrived in port. Us and the RCL Freedom of the Seas. No one knew what happened to the Glory and it was only the next day I had heard a rumor about a person overboard.

Danny had absolutely no impact on our cruise.