What do you want to know about Amber Cove?

We paid a quick visit to Ocean World, cruisingwith4littles, and I can't think of a better way to spend the day than to head there....

Carolyn

Your excitement is exciting [emoji1]

What's your suggestion for spending the day in port at Amber Cove for families? We'll be there next March with our 4 kids, age 5-14.

I guess I should add that we like excursions that are easy to get to and enjoy! Though I'd love a tour of puerto plata, I don't think my kids would be on board with that, and we've promised that this cruise vacation will be all about fun!! What's your opinion on what's looking fun for families?

Great question. This part of the Dominican Republic is famous for its amber (I'm pulling the following description from my slideshow, "11 Reasons Why Amber Cove Should Go On Your Bucket List," which is launching Tuesday):

And last, but by no means least: Go for the amber (Carnival Corporation's facility was named Amber Cove for a reason). A gemstone, amber is made out of tree sap and is reflected in gorgeous hues of orange-yellow-red. According to the ancient Greeks, amber warded off ill health. An interesting aspect of some amber pieces, most typically used to make jewelry, is that fossilized bugs are often caught inside. While Baltic amber is perhaps better known, Dominican amber is distinct in its clarity.

Hope that helps!

CSB

what is the history of naming it Amber Cove?

I would like info on the 27 waterfalls. Who should I book a tour with? Carnival isn't offering any waterfall excursions. I'm booked on the Oct 26 Victory. I think we are the third ship in port.

TNCruiserGirl- my niece and her (then) husband will be sailing with you on their honeymoon! I am familiar with Carnival and a lot of her ports so I wasn't sure about this new port, and I'm doing some research to help them out. I'd love to hear more about the waterfalls too.

If you happen to meet a couple of Canucks named Erin & Joe celebrating their honeymoon, tell them Aunt Mom says hi!

One question for you, wanderingjew: the 27 waterfalls is not on the cruise lines' shore excursion menus, and wondering why?

Carolyn

I was wondering this too. I wonder if it's safe? I don't like to book privately when it is a place I have never been before. I'm not too thrilled with the choices Carnival has so far, but maybe I'm mistaken. I'm hoping the Oct. 6 cruise will provide reviews before we leave on the 26th!

Sturderick, we did ask why 27 Waterfalls wasn't on the shore ex list and were told that it ultimately would be but there were safety issues that still needed to be worked out.

We did a half day version of the full day Outback Adventure and it was the most amazing experience of the trip. Just loved it! You ride around the countryside, which is quite beautiful, in an open-air safari bus and visit a family's home, and then walk around their amazing garden (they grow everything there, from cacao to pineapples). Then we visited a local school. There was a bountiful lunch, and the part we didn't get to -- is a swim on a private beach and a few other things. Anyway, it was a blast, great guide.

Carolyn

I was wondering this too. I wonder if it's safe? I don't like to book privately when it is a place I have never been before. I'm not too thrilled with the choices Carnival has so far, but maybe I'm mistaken. I'm hoping the Oct. 6 cruise will provide reviews before we leave on the 26th!

Sturderick, we did ask why 27 Waterfalls wasn't on the shore ex list and were told that it ultimately would be but there were safety issues that still needed to be worked out.

We did a half day version of the full day Outback Adventure and it was the most amazing experience of the trip. Just loved it! You ride around the countryside, which is quite beautiful, in an open-air safari bus and visit a family's home, and then walk around their amazing garden (they grow everything there, from cacao to pineapples). Then we visited a local school. There was a bountiful lunch, and the part we didn't get to -- is a swim on a private beach and a few other things. Anyway, it was a blast, great guide.

Carolyn

Thank you so much!

First: No time to do beaches, alas. It's not all glory, I tell you :)

The good news: There are a lot of great beaches around Amber Cove and, despite worries I've heard about rough ocean seas, a lot of them are on lagoons and in bays, so are really placid. Still, if you like windsurfing and other active watersports, you can find those, too.

Here's what I learned yesterday, from the staffer at Carnival who's actually organizing the shore excursions, there are lots of ways to get to a beach, many but not all offered on official paid tours. But pretty much you do have to book the beach via a tour.

The rundown:

*The nearest: Right next door is the Riu all-inclusive resort. You can walk to it in five minutes but you'll need to pay a day fee. It's not the most upmarket, but is the most convenient. A day pass at this point, subject to change, is $39 - $45 and for that you get drinks and food. Kids are half price.

*The nearest-nicest: The Lifestyle Beach Resort, which is where we stayed but I'll be damned if I got to spend any time on the beach (!), is upscale, a sort-of Miami Beach-esque kind of club scenario. There's white sand, lounge chairs, beds, and a bar and restaurant, and the fee is inclusive, around $59 per person. Includes transportation to the resort (and back), and it's genuinely lovely (we had dinner there but it was dark and aside from a gorgeous full moon, hard to see much!).

3. The beach that the local folks most recommended, bar none, was Coconut Beach. It's a little bit further away, about 20 miles or 45 minutes, and a multi-layered offering. It's a good bit for families, and you can opt for all-inclusive or not. It's a bit more secluded than the resort hotels' beaches but has the same services.

Pricing: $39 per person to get to Coco Beach with no extras. The tour for beach with lunch and all-inclusive drinks is $79 per person. There's a family option, with babysitting, for a bit extra.

4. The best-but-furtherest-beach is Rusia. Cruise transport takes you to a beach, and then you board a speedboat that transports you to Paradise Island, which is encircled by coral reefs (great snorkeling, great diving!). From what I'm told -- and please remember, that the operation is so new that it's still in testing mode, the cost, including transportation, is $89. Folks who don't want to go all the way to the island can hang at the Punta Rusia Beach Club for $69 for the day, including food and drink.

So lots of options, just not so many d-i-y choices.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Carolyn

So there is no actual sand beach at the cruise port like at Mahogany Bay?

Cruisers going there beware ,the crime rate there is very high .The local police are corrupt JUST a little FYI when thinking about cruising there .

I don't think there will be any crime inside of the port area. Outside of the port area, you may be right.....you may be wrong. Time will tell.

I was in the Dominican for a week 2 years ago.... Can't say there wasn't any crime going on, but I had a pleasant experience and the locals we met were wonderful.

No matter where you go, outside the country, you have to be careful.

I'm really excited to be one of the first cruises to a Amber Cove. Can't wait to have another Mamma Juanna! (DR local drink)

Cruisers going there beware ,the crime rate there is very high .The local police are corrupt JUST a little FYI when thinking about cruising there .

Is there security in the port area? Are only cruise passengers allowed in?