bring your own towels.

MikeyM

You're right. The spot is yours for as long as you're in the pool area. It's not yours anymore if you leave for several hours to do some other activity.

I just looked thru my cruise contact and don't see anything about there being a "30 minute rule"

Is this some made up cruisecritc law made up by the self righteous of this board?

Edited by MikeyM

I just looked thru my cruise contact and don't see anything about there being a "30 minute rule"

Is this some made up cruisecritc law made up by the self righteous of this board?

Listen. If you want to test the limits and be discourteous to your fellow cruisers, then by all means. It has been posted in this thread that there is signage saying that your items will be removed after 30 minutes -- my last cruise was several years ago so I can't remember if that is true but I trust the poster who said it because it has been a long-standing point of discussion for many years.

If you want to claim your spot for several hours (completely ridiculous), then you should expect that either a deck attendant or another cruiser will remove your belongings, and they won't be in the wrong -- you will.

Edited by pharaoh

Listen. If you want to test the limits and be discourteous to your fellow cruisers, then by all means. It has been posted in this thread that there is signage saying that your items will be removed after 30 minutes -- my last cruise was several years ago so I can't remember if that is true but I trust the poster who said it because it has been a long-standing point of discussion for many years.

If you want to claim your spot for several hours (completely ridiculous), then you should expect that either a deck attendant or another cruiser will remove your belongings, and they won't be in the wrong -- you will.

There is definitely signage at each of the pools. I didn't take pictures of it because I don't have to document every single inch of the ship, but I'm sure someone has.

I really thought there was something in the Compass about it, but I looked through the ones I have from Alaska and couldn't find it. It could be on the paper we got on embarkation day which I didn't save.

If another passenger decided to play chair police and remove my things we would most certainly have a problem and they would be in the wrong. They would deeply regret that move.

I'm willing to claim my spot and if the pool attendant feels like its been too long and removes my towel so be it. However I'm willing to bet my towel will still be there after 30 minutes.

The easy way to satisfy this made up "30 minute rule" is just to reserve my 4 chairs and make sure someone from my family checks into the pool area every half hour. Problem solved.

I honestly don't see what the big deal here is. If I get up early and reserve a spot it's mine. If I goto the beach and pick a spot the same logic would apply.

If you reserved a spot on the beach and then left the beach for a few hours you wouldn't seriously expect your things to still be there would you???

If you reserved a spot on the beach and then left the beach for a few hours you wouldn't seriously expect your things to still be there would you???

Do it all the time. Did it last week at Belmar Beach. Everyone does.

If another passenger decided to play chair police and remove my things we would most certainly have a problem and they would be in the wrong. They would deeply regret that move.

Good luck to you getting anyone to regret that move! :)

Good the know you're a thief.

Definitely NOT a thief!!

But I do use common courtesy, which I see you DO NOT!

I have and will continue to move towels from a lounger and turn in if that lounger has not been used in over 45 minutes! I will also put all of your items such as towels, books, sunscreen under the chair if the area is not wet! When I'm done with the lounger, you are more than welcome to it!!

We travel sometimes with small children and we do like to keep an eye on them so they don't drown!! Just sayin'

I'm willing to claim my spot and if the pool attendant feels like its been too long and removes my towel so be it. However I'm willing to bet my towel will still be there after 30 minutes.

I wouldn't remove your things unless I couldn't find another chair. If it got to the point where chairs were scarce and I notice you haven't been around for 30 minutes I would have no problem taking your things and putting them on the side of the chair and then lying on the chair. If you came back, I would explain it as such and the way you are talking, it seems as if you think you would be able to threaten or intimidate me to live them. Unfortunately for you that wouldn't be the case, and I would continue to lie there while you go and find somewhere else like everyone else has to do.

The reason staff do no enforce it much is because they are afraid of getting complaints and also it is hard for them to monitor every chair and keep track of who comes and goes and what times.

I have never stolen someone's chair anyway. I just feel like people should be courteous and not hog chairs to begin with.

Good luck to you getting anyone to regret that move! :)

It won't be hard. Sitting next to them chain smoking and being as loud and obnoxious as possible would do the trick for most. I can escalate it from there if need be.

Then why keep posting? You've made up your mind. You understand the potential outcomes and you are at peace with it.

It won't be hard. Sitting next to them chain smoking and being as loud and obnoxious as possible would do the trick for most. I can escalate it from there if need be.

Not surprised that someone posted they were in Belmar also claims they can be loud and obnoxious. Goes hand in hand.

I'm sure you could totally escalate from there too:rolleyes:

can you bring your own towels? yes

Is the 30 minute time limit some cruise critic made up thing? no

Is it always enforced? no

can you try it out? yes

Will you get away with it? maybe

There you go. simple enough for even you to understand.

What a whiny little baby.

Edited by LMaxwell

Definitely NOT a thief!!

But I do use common courtesy, which I see you DO NOT!

I have and will continue to move towels from a lounger and turn in if that lounger has not been used in over 45 minutes! I will also put all of your items such as towels, books, sunscreen under the chair if the area is not wet! When I'm done with the lounger, you are more than welcome to it!!

We travel sometimes with small children and we do like to keep an eye on them so they don't drown!! Just sayin'

Yes you are. This is what you said. Verbatim

"I love to bring home new colorful towels for the kids"

That would certainly escalate it as smoking is not permitted in the pool area so you'd only be getting yourself into trouble. Seems like a lot of effort to go to just to upset other people. Why not just reserve the chairs for while you want to use them then go off and do whatever else you want and find chairs again when you come back. If you're gone for several hours people may just assume you've forgotten your towel and consider it a lost and found issue.

Edited by calypso73

First off, I really hope this thread is a joke??? You might as well bring some lounge chairs with you too!

Second, I do that all the time, but it's totally different than reserving loungers on a cruise ship. I would never do that.

Can't wait to see this guy's trip report where he complains that someone moved his stupid brightly colored towels.

I'm sure it will end with him being asked to leave the pool area due to his chain smoking. 😂😂😂 Win-win for everyone nearby, IMO.

I really think this person just wants attention. Really I don't think he or she really started this post with the intention of getting a real answer, but to start a "great debate" here on CC. This is clearly a battle of wits in which he or she has come unprepared.

That would certainly escalate it as smoking is not permitted in the pool area so you'd only be getting yourself into trouble. Seems like a lot of effort to go to just to upset other people. Why not just reserve the chairs for while you want to use them then go off and do whatever else you want and find chairs again when you come back. If you're gone for several hours people may just assume you've forgotten your towel and consider it a lost and found issue.

Seems like my first response was deleted as it was a bit harsh.

I would be reserving chairs on the upper deck were smoking is allowed. The mob mentality of cruise critic came up with the idea I am reserving the first row next to the pool.

Edited by MikeyM

Can't wait to see this guy's trip report where he complains that someone moved his stupid brightly colored towels.

I'm sure it will end with him being asked to leave the pool area due to his chain smoking. 😂😂😂 Win-win for everyone nearby, IMO.

I had no idea I would be sitting by the pool! Thanks for telling me. So you get to decide how long I can reserve my seat AND where I sit?