Lifeboat drill on cruises with 2 segments

TAD2005

Did you mean to post this on a different thread? This thread is about attending the muster drill on multi-part cruises.

no, the OP asked if there would be a muster drill since they want to go to Rome. that was a very helpful suggestion for the OP IMO.

OK, it just sounded so far off from the direction the thread was going, I didn't see a connection.

no worries ;). Post 1 by the OP is the question if there would be a second muster drill as they are trying to plan a trip from Civi to Rome and a muster drill impacts the return time and the time in Rome

We are on the Zuiderdam, 26 days from Athens to FLL, Oct 14. This cruise could also be purchased as a 7 day ATH->Rome, or 19 days Rome->FLL. We purchased this as one long cruise and we have only one booking number for the entire 26 days. We are scheduled to be in Rome from 7am to 5 pm, but, as many of you know, it's a 90 minute bus ride from the port to downtown Rome and another 90 minutes back. That kills 3 of the 10 hours we are in port. I have read on CC that when there is a lifeboat drill mid-cruise for passengers joining the ship at the mid-point, all passengers are required to attend the drill, even those who are already on the ship and attended a drill a week earlier. If this is true, HAL will want passengers back onboard around 90 minutes before departure, meaning 3:30pm. That would effectively shorten our available time off the ship to 7-1/2 hours, then remove 3 more hours for a round trip bus to Rome, and we have only 4-1/2 hours in Rome. Barely enough time for a gelato at the Trevi Fountain. This would eliminate many of the shore excursions we have been looking at. Is a mid-cruise lifeboat drill mandatory for guests who are already on the ship and have not boarded at the midpoint ?

On the Veendam 7/11/15 to 7/25/15 booked as a collectors cruise we were told we did not have to attend the second drill in Quebec.

We took an afternoon tour and ships personnel gave the drill on the bus before it left the port as we were scheduled to arrive back after the drill would have started. I do not know if this a normal procedure, as we rarely take ships tours. There were quite a few people who had embarked the day before and because there was an overnight and the drill wasn't scheduled until sailing day this could be why this was done on the bus.

but I wish they would speed up getting the passengers to their station so those who arrive on time don't have to stand around waiting for the stragglers who saunter around delaying the start and those who don't want to leave their cabins until the last minute.

On the Veendam 7/11/15 to 7/25/15 booked as a collectors cruise we were told we did not have to attend the second drill in Quebec.

Same here. I was on a Veendam B2B (Boston-Bermuda-Boston then Boston-Quebec City, 4-19 July 2015) and we had a letter saying we didn't have to do the second one. Strange how/why it varies.

but I wish they would speed up getting the passengers to their station so those who arrive on time don't have to stand around waiting for the stragglers who saunter around delaying the start and those who don't want to leave their cabins until the last minute.

On the last few cruises I've been on they've changed the format. Everyone leaves from their cabin at the same time so this really shouldn't be a huge issue. I used to be a person that would get there super early.