Carnival Liberty Evacuation

pauleydm

I was joking

It's more likely they just took the rooms that are allotted for the Barbados pax.

I know...saw your LOL. Just wanted to "hats off to" the people who worked so hard. And I really do hope they can enjoy some carefree time on the ship before they have to report back to shore duty. I hope the staff also gets a "party"....it couldn't have been easy going through some uncertainty, themselves.

Paul - I would be getting annoyed if they had stranded me next to a beautiful island, but wouldn't let me get off to enjoy it. Are there any activities taking place? I guess that would be pointless if the Funtimes hasn't been distributed to let people know about the activities. I hope they aren't trying to recoup some of their losses by forcing people to stay on board to drink and gamble.

Thanks for your factual and level headed reporting.

I don't believe the would force you to drink of gamble to make back their money. They probably do count on people that will, but forced is a little strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know I just thought of something. I always had my charge card with me because the safe in the cabin was controlled with it. I actually didn't like the system and wanted Carnival to go back to the punch in your code system. I guess those who came straight from the pool never locked up anything. I always put my jewelry in there (never wear it to the pool or excursions as most are water sports. would be heartbroken if I lost them even though insured). But what about passports or cash? Am I the only one who locks it up? That alone would have forced me off the ship with at least a charge card. Paulydm you didn't use your safe?

I wouldn't use a credit card for the safe. I have no idea what kind of encryption it uses and don't want that information just floating around. I use an old hotel room key.

I am glad that I have had the opportunity to share with the members of Cruise Critic and the cruising community. I truly appreciate all of the kind words I have read. I see that I have been mentioned on John Healds blog...I have no idea if he has seen what I posted. But I would like him to know that I have posted factual information as it has been presented to me, without any negativity or sensationalizing of the situation.

Thanks for all the updates! So happy that you at least get to stay on the ship and leave when yo were supposed:) to. I think Carnival did good by you all. and now it was a free trip that you get to talk about for years! Happy sailing!

You know I just thought of something. I always had my charge card with me because the safe in the cabin was controlled with it. I actually didn't like the system and wanted Carnival to go back to the punch in your code system. I guess those who came straight from the pool never locked up anything. I always put my jewelry in there (never wear it to the pool or excursions as most are water sports. would be heartbroken if I lost them even though insured). But what about passports or cash? Am I the only one who locks it up? That alone would have forced me off the ship with at least a charge card. Paulydm you didn't use your safe?

Our safe is always locked. We keep cash, passport, etc. in it.

We use an old giftcard to open & close the safe. Would NEVER use a credit card to control the safe.

Bucky93655, you are probably in the slim minority that uses a CC to control the safe. We hide the old giftcard that we use so that both of us have access to the safe.

I am glad that I have had the opportunity to share with the members of Cruise Critic and the cruising community. I truly appreciate all of the kind words I have read. I see that I have been mentioned on John Healds blog...I have no idea if he has seen what I posted. But I would like him to know that I have posted factual information as it has been presented to me, without any negativity or sensationalizing of the situation.

You did an excellent job reporting to us. Thanks.

By the way, I think you mentioned that you had been employed on a cruiseship at some point. Am I remembering correctly? If so, in what capacity? Entertainment?

Enjoy the rest of your time in San Juan. I bet those that flew home already will be envious that you guys are able to use the ship as a hotel for a few days before flying home.

We are scheduled to sail on Sunday with our flight leaving in the am. I feel much better now than I did 2 hours ago. Now I can sleep.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

CARNIVAL LIBERTY

SEPTEMBER 13, 2015

September 10, 2015

Hi there!

We know you must be looking forward to your cruise on Sunday and are anxiously awaiting confirmation we are sailing.

As you may know, while docked in St. Thomas on Monday, Carnival Liberty experienced an engine fire that was extinguished by the ship's automated suppression system. There were no injuries to guests or crew. Guests re-boarded that evening and enjoyed the ship as a floating hotel with all the usual services and amenities.

The U.S. Coast Guard and other authorities have fully completed their assessments and have cleared the Carnival Liberty to sail. We will be leaving St. Thomas this evening and will arrive in San Juan tomorrow morning. Our cruise on Sunday will operate as scheduled with the full itinerary.

Rest assured all hotel services and ship's safety systems are fully functional and the normal array of activities, entertainment, dining options and programming will be offered.

Those of you who have sailed with us before, as well any first time guests can expect to have a FUNtastic time aboard the beautiful Carnival Liberty.

As a reminder, check-in for your cruise is scheduled from 2:30PM-8:30PM. For your comfort and convenience, since seating is limited at our cruise terminal, we ask that you please not arrive for check-in prior to 2:30PM.

Captain Catalani and his entire team are looking forward to welcoming you aboard and providing a FUN and memorable cruise.

See you soon!

Sincerely,

Arlene Marichal

Sr. Director, Solutions and Special Services

You know I never thought of that. I figured the only person in my stateroom is the cabin steward and maybe housekeeping. My card also has the new microchip technology (I don't know if that makes a difference or not). But you have given me some food for thought. Would a room key given out to all three people for the same room same time frame work do you think? I know that my card, my husbands, and my 19 year old sons card all worked on the safe. So it didn't matter who locked up we all had access anytime we wanted. Always learning on CC.....

Absolutely do NOT use your room key. If lost, not only do they have access to your room (which will still be difficult because the room # isn't on it, but, hey, you never know who's watching), but also the safe. The DH always has some random card (not a CC) with a magnetic strip on it in his wallet that we use and then hide.

Edited by tarps14

Thanks again Pauleydm for the update. And wish you a great remainder of the cruise, and time in San Juan ( I love the place), then a safe journey back home.

I wish Cruise Critic gave awards for members like you, who report back the information accurately without the drama. Some of us feel that at times like this we can only believe that one of our "own", who is right there in the middle, is the only trustworthy source of info. Safe travels:)

Well said, thats exactly how i feel about it too.

You did an excellent job reporting to us. Thanks.

By the way, I think you mentioned that you had been employed on a cruiseship at some point. Am I remembering correctly? If so, in what capacity? Entertainment?

Enjoy the rest of your time in San Juan. I bet those that flew home already will be envious that you guys are able to use the ship as a hotel for a few days before flying home.

I have worked for two cruise lines as a production singer/dancer.

Thank you for the updates, I have no direct interest in this sailing or ones after, but it was enlightening to see how Carnival has changed the way they have dealt with these issues to make sure everyone was taken care of.

If the biggest inconvenience is sitting in a hotel ballroom for 3-4 hours and being able to come and go as you please (for the most part) then it was not a wasted vacation. In fact the spontaneity may add a level of interest we've not experienced since starting to take cruise vacations.

We've seen your objective thoughts. What are your subjective thoughts?