Tip more than the included 15% or not?

saleeb

Is it customary to tip more than the already included 15% for bar drinks? Is it frowned upon to not tip more than the included tip? I don't want to sound cheap. We are just sticking to a budget.

We also chose to prepay our tips and understand that we can add more at the end if we choose. Is it terrible if we decide to not add extra? I will certainly add more if we can, but wanted to know how "expected" it is and how much more?

Is it customary to tip more than the already included 15% for bar drinks? Is it frowned upon to not tip more than the included tip? I don't want to sound cheap. We are just sticking to a budget.

We also chose to prepay our tips and understand that we can add more at the end if we choose. Is it terrible if we decide to not add extra? I will certainly add more if we can, but wanted to know how "expected" it is and how much more?

Yes, it's acceptable to tip additionally to the 15% auto-gratuity in the bars/lounges. But it's not necessary. Tip additionally, or not, it's up to you.

You won't be "terrible" if you don't give additional tips (above the pre-paid gratuity). We sometimes tip additionally (especially if the room host or dinner server has done something special for us). Most of the time we just go with the pre-paid suggested gratuity.

The "expected" tip is the 15% automatic gratuity and the $12 per guest per night standard tip that is billed to your account if you do nothing. Anything more than that is generosity on your part.

What I do with bar items--if I went to the bar, ordered, and was handed an item, it's the 15%. If someone brought me something when I was elsewhere (like a roaming server around the pool), I'll round up the amount to include a little extra tip.

No, you are not wrong to tip just the standard. If you can afford to be generous and the service was excellent, that's great. If either the service was lacking or the budget is stretched, the standard tip meets what is the stated norm.

dh would honestly tip MORE if it wasn't included, since they force the tip, he doesn't tip extra (for bar drinks).

We normally add extra to the 12pp, by giving cash to those who served, assuming we didn't spend all the cash/we have the extra money, and the service was good (on our first two cruises, we didn't have the money for the 10pp tips-the cruises were gifts. On NCl the service was so bad I stood in line to DECREASE the tips). :eek: If we add to the auto amount, then it's split, it doesn't go directly to our waiter/room guy. Extra $20-40 for dining/room guy depending is what we give. I think on Disney we split $100 for additional tips.

OP's question was not whether or not she could tip more. It was whether it was wrong to tip only the mandatory 15% and the suggested $12 per guest per night.

The response to that question is that it is not wrong. If you tip that, you are tipping what DCL suggests and what they tell prospective employees can be expected (actually, they say "up to" that amount on the prospective employment web page.)

If you tip that' date=' you are tipping what DCL suggests and what they tell prospective employees can be expected [b'](actually, they say "up to" that amount on the prospective employment web page.)[/b]

Interesting... did not know that.

Interesting... did not know that.

The amount posted on the prospective employee web page is based on a full serving station with each guest tipping the suggested amount. If a server/assistant/stateroom host has less than a full cohort of guests or some guests tip less than the suggested amount, they'll only reach the "up to" figure if other guests tip significantly more than the suggested.

We've also been told that there is much less "stiffing" of CMs since they started charging the standard tips to the OBC unless a guest goes to GS to make another choice. Prior to that, we were told that up to 1/3 of guests stiffed their serving team!

On the other hand, we met one assistant server who had been an engineer on the ship. He told us that he worked hard to improve his English so that he could move to the serving position because an assistant server makes more in tips than an engineer does in salary. Talk to your serving team--we've had several who had advanced degrees in their home countries.

The amount posted on the prospective employee web page is based on a full serving station with each guest tipping the suggested amount. If a server/assistant/stateroom host has less than a full cohort of guests or some guests tip less than the suggested amount' date=' they'll only reach the "up to" figure if other guests tip significantly more than the suggested.

We've also been told that there is much less "stiffing" of CMs since they started charging the standard tips to the OBC unless a guest goes to GS to make another choice. Prior to that, we were told that up to 1/3 of guests stiffed their serving team!

On the other hand, we met one assistant server who had been an engineer on the ship. He told us that he worked hard to improve his English so that he could move to the serving position because an assistant server makes more in tips than an engineer does in salary. Talk to your serving team--we've had several who had advanced degrees in their home countries.[/quote']

1/3?! That's surprising! Are they going to MDR? I can see adjusting if you don't go to MDR...but there are many people who serve us on a ship. We've only adjusted in honest cases of bad service or not having the money to be able to fully tip (before paying for our cruises).

1/3?! That's surprising! Are they going to MDR? I can see adjusting if you don't go to MDR...but there are many people who serve us on a ship. We've only adjusted in honest cases of bad service or not having the money to be able to fully tip (before paying for our cruises).

2 things really matter to the serving teams--the tips and the evaluations. The evaluations determine the work schedule for the next cruise and while they are all supposedly equal, some are preferred over others (obviously this is not the dinner schedule; it is what you do at breakfast and lunch.)

We boarded the ship once and our favorite server was obviously upset. I kept asking what was wrong. After a couple episodes of "I'm not allowed to talk about it" and my asking was something wrong at home, etc. he said that he'd had a table of 16 on the previous cruise and they were quite difficult and demanding throughout the cruise. They left him a one penny tip and gave all "poor" on the evaluation...so for the week he had half the money he planned on to send home and had a horrible schedule to his way of thinking. He also said that of the entire dining room, he had always scored either first or second on evaluations (there is a reason we liked him!) And he told me to not tell anyone that he'd let on there was something bothering him, but he's been gone for many years now.

I can't address why people don't tip. Some are jerks, some are trying to save a few pennies (my opinion is that if you can't afford to tip the suggested amount, you can't afford to cruise!) I understand adjusting the tip in honest episodes of bad service. I know I did that once and may have done it a second time. I think the 1/3 figure may have reflected some of the early Med cruises because tipping is not the normal culture there. I know only that is the figure that was quoted to me.

I'm going to address not eating in the MDRs. You can't do adult dining for the entire cruise and had to eat somewhere. The tip you leave at dinner covers the breakfast and lunch service as well AND even if you didn't eat in the MDR, you did take a spot at the server's tables...so he wasn't getting tips from someone else. If you are not eating in the MDR because there is a problem, let the head server know. Otherwise, tip the suggested amount whether you occupy the chair or not as SOMEONE served you 3 meals each day.

Even if you don't go to the MDR someone has served you (Buffet staff, casual dining, etc - and they may be the same person. I remember seeing our assistant server at the poolside venue for lunch.)

To be honest, the ONLY reason in my book to go below the standard is for uncorrected bad service. I've done that twice over many many cruises where even after pointing the issues out to a supervisor they were not corrected (in both cases I strongly suspect the employee was end of contract and fried and just didn't care anymore - it happens)

I remember in the days before pre-tip seeing the MDR 1/3 to 1/2 empty on the last (tipping) night. It was depressing.

The ability to pay your tips in advance has always been there, as has the ability to charge tips to your onboard account. What changed a few years ago (initial trial on Med, then expanded to all cruises) is the fact that the tips will be automatically charged to your KTTW account if you do nothing to change it. You can adjust the tip amounts or remove tips if you wish, but the guest must now make an effort to do that. Do nothing and you will be charged the standard tip amount.

There are still people who do adult dining on the last night or eat elsewhere...but unless they have removed tips, their serving team is still being paid.

On the other hand, know that you may opt to decrease your tips by going to guest services.

You must use this power wisely though, if you have truly bad service, reduce the tips and by that bad service does not mean that you didn't get enough towel animals or your ice bucket melted.

I also think that if you're going to reduce tips, you have the responsibility to explain to guest services exactly why you are dong it so that they can take action to prevent a reoccurrence.

This is why I like the tipping system. it provides performance feedback in real terms, money. Future cruisers thank you.

We typically use the auto-tip as a minimum tip (just our own personal preference), and add extra tip in cash to the envelopes to those CMs who deserve recognition for providing service that exceeds our expectations (for example, our MDR server on the EBTA cruise who was so good we didn't want to go back to Palo a second time on that voyage). We like to avoid going down to guest services to add money to the official tip ticket as it can get a bit crazy down there at the end of the cruise. Is there any reason not to add a tip in cash?

Is there any reason not to add a tip in cash?

The CMs appreciate the tip whether in cash or charged. There is no reason not to add cash. We increase the charged tip simply because my favorite server told me (when I asked) that he preferred charged. No risk of loss or theft, and he was sending most of his money home. He said he always got plenty of cash for his limited needs on the ship. On the other hand, it is easy for CMs to deposit their cash to their account and they can send it home thru that system. Do whatever works for you! THey appreciate the extra. BUT, back to OP's question...tipping the suggested amount is totally fine.

Even if you don't go to the MDR someone has served you (Buffet staff, casual dining, etc - and they may be the same person. I remember seeing our assistant server at the poolside venue for lunch.)

To be honest, the ONLY reason in my book to go below the standard is for uncorrected bad service. I've done that twice over many many cruises where even after pointing the issues out to a supervisor they were not corrected (in both cases I strongly suspect the employee was end of contract and fried and just didn't care anymore - it happens)

I remember in the days before pre-tip seeing the MDR 1/3 to 1/2 empty on the last (tipping) night. It was depressing.

we only adjusted to zero on NCL. The whole cruise we had issues. From not enough towel (four adults in one room-i'll admit, I was cranky to start with finding out my husband and I were sharing a room with bil & sil), room service never answered one night, I was hungry!!! we called many times. the anytime dining was a joke, we ended up waiting in line for over 45 minutes the first night, after that found out we had to make reservations in the dining rooms for the week if we didn't want to wait, which defeated the reason for anytime dining, imo. staff was rude on a few occasions. I don't remember what else. I know it was enough for me to wait in line to adjust-that's saying a lot!

We had a few issues last week on Carnival, BUT they were maintenance issues, they were resolved in a very timely matter, WITH a follow up call the next day.

We tip extra in cash, as we were told extra on the account is split between everyone, AND i'm not waiting in line to give them more money. I will put cash in their hands.

Sad to say, but we have found we DO get better service if we tip a little extra in the bars.

I never buy drinks in the bars, unless it's just one or two the whole cruise. I DO buy coffee, I recalled tipping extra a few times, mainly when they did something extra.

I do tip room service extra the first time, that never seemed to make a difference, except for last week, so last week I kept tipping extra, the service stayed great. :D (hey, I had enough ones in my room service budget, and this time around, them bringing me the food was well worth it!)

I find the idea of tipping all wrong.People should be paid a good wage. It is just another name for blackmail and bribery. If the wait-people are paid a decent wage there is no need for tipping. If they do a good job they keep their jobs, if not, they go home. In my country it is illegal to offer someone a bribe to do that extra bit for them.

I might sound cold hearted but in Australia we do not tip (it is not in our culture) and we still get reasonable service, (we pay good wages). I was in the USA this year and could not get used to the idea if you brought a drink it cost a dollar more for the tip.

Barry

I also think that if you're going to reduce tips, you have the responsibility to explain to guest services exactly why you are dong it so that they can take action to prevent a reoccurrence.

This is why I like the tipping system. it provides performance feedback in real terms, money. Future cruisers thank you.

Sorry, but that is why the tipping system is massively flawed.

There is an expectation of a tip in order to receive service in a polite and timely manner. A tip should be reserved by great or greater service.

Not to make up a 20 percent extra charge on a proprietors charge for being served so the proprietor can charge less.

And there is no guarantee that it provides performance feedback in real terms if many feel pressured into tipping.

A better system is to pay the CM's the tip amounts within the cruise fare, and monitor the additional tips added for excellent service if one were to really get true feedback.

When there is a tradition or expectation, what value does that provide in real terms as to performance?

ex techie

I never buy drinks in the bars, unless it's just one or two the whole cruise. I DO buy coffee, I recalled tipping extra a few times, mainly when they did something extra.

I do tip room service extra the first time, that never seemed to make a difference, except for last week, so last week I kept tipping extra, the service stayed great. :D (hey, I had enough ones in my room service budget, and this time around, them bringing me the food was well worth it!)

That just proves the expectation element.

That service should be great regardless and be rewarded for additional effort, not additional ones left to hand over.

ex techie

My DM would tip way way way more if the added gratuity was not on there. I would probably be about the same, if not a little less (I tend to tip $1 a drink UNLESS I am there all night/afternoon and have a tab open). But, my drink consists of ice, gin, tonic, lime. No mixing, nothing special. Get glass, pour, wedge of lime, done. If I was ordering some of the mixed drinks that take 5 minutes to make or something special I would feel the need to tip more.

We have only had, what I would term, poor service, in the MDR's once. The other times, we have had wonderful servers.

I also know that many of the servers we have had, did or were getting highly advanced degrees. So, the money has to be pretty good, otherwise, I am assuming that all else being equal, educated individuals would not be a server. I don't think it is a glamorous job, but it may offer some of the servers a chance to travel, spread their wings, send money back home, etc. DCL is not forcing anyone on the ship.

The servers (long term) strive to get to Palo or Remy, as these jobs are apparently much easier and much less demanding. I don't think the Remy waiters work any other shifts, besides Remy (this may have changed from 3 years ago).

Bottom line, tipping the suggested is great and nothing to feel bad about. They do get paid on top of tips. If you feel someone has made your trip especially magical, feel free to add more. But doing the minimum is just fine. Also, if that is what you can afford to give and you cannot give more, don't feel obligated to give more. It is appreciated, but not expected. :)