Who is Cunard for?

NOSaints1

Would be happy on Carnival eh! Than why would we be going on the Adventure of Seas, where they have no water slides, ... Maybe Cunard people think there better than other people, who think they know everything.
Hi NOSaints1,

I am sorry if I wrote anything to offend you and bring on your last line above. I only mentioned water-slides because you previously mentioned you loved the 300ft one on Breeze...

DW and I did the Breeze and loved it, 300ft water slide, 4d theatre, Guys burgers where you can't just stop at one, burrito bar. ...
... and I felt it was important to state that Cunard don't have them.

We all have different likes and dislikes, things that "float our boat" (;)). Who can say that one is "better" than another, and I certainly didn't in my post above, only that the Cunard way of doing things probably wasn't for you, given your previous statements in posts.

Try a Cunard crossing, and if I'm wrong, tell me so!

I certainly haven't stopped learning in life, never will, and have only scratched the surface of what there is to know... no-one here knows everything or suggests they do.

Again, happy sailings to you for the future, and esp on Adventure of the Seas :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Hi NOSaints1,

In case you haven't seen this already, Thaxted posted this link earlier today to an article from the Washington Post about a transatlantic crossing on QM2.

This appeared in the Washington Post travel section this morning. It's delightful, but after reading it, if you're like me, you may find yourself suffering from a serious case of lack-of-sea sickness.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/cruising-cunard-cross-the-atlantic-and-the-dance-floor-like-royalty/2015/09/10/86f7edec-4cf0-11e5-902f-39e9219e574b_story.html

I think this article does an excellent job of describing the Cunard experience (and especially the transatlantic crossing experience on QM2) from a first-timers perspective. I also think it does a very good job, at least in a general sense, of addressing the question "who is Cunard for?"

Regards,

John.

We are a couple aged 50 & 62 we have decided our income allows us to do 1 celebrity & 1 Cunard per year. We love Cunard for 1. The food 2. The fellow passengers 3. The service 4. The cabins. we like Celebrity for other reasons our Cunard experience is a total relax and we are counting the days to our next 1 (26)

I also did not think QM2 was for you, as pepperrn stated, based on your previous posts of cruise likes. Let's look at this from a different perspective...perhaps let us know what you are NOT looking for on your future cruise experience. This may help us to answer your original concern. If you are already thinking that the typical Cunard passenger knows it all, then you may have answered your own question. I'm being polite here :)

Hi, i am 32 year and did a qm2 cruise on british isles from southampton and doeing another on qe, i also did royal carribean, norwegian and celebrity

Yes it is true that there is quite an older folks but most of them has a love of travel so if you like travelling, its easy to get in conversation with fellow traveller and you quickly forget the age, the ships are also real ocean travel museum for ship buff like me, i also spoke with other travellers and families and they seemed to enjoy themselve

The ships are indeed very formal at night so if its a bother, there is celebrity cruise which is somewhat similar but less formal in dress code. there is no flow rider or water slider, most of the activity are focused inside because the ships has been designed for variable to bad weather in mind, uk weather, even the twin vista class qe and qv are hybrid liner cruise ships and more inside focus. Good interior activities ranging from som golden lion pub trivia, shaffleboard competitions, rubby match, wine tasting, fencing on qv etc. I like the ambiance on the lounge as the music is not too loud especially after a whole day walking 20 km in a city. So i quit drink with soft music in commodore club is heaven before diner

If you want a better idea, i recommend googling the ship of interest and the word beyondship. Beyoundship website has a good collections of photo, a ship profile description and sample of daily activities and restaurant menu in pdg to look at

There is also no announcement exept the 12h ship progression. But nothing abt activities so it force you to truly read the daily activity log, otherwize you ll be missing a lot

The line is also suprisingly solo friendly, more so that other line i tried in my experience

Edited by redhydra

If you want a better idea, i recommend googling the ship of interest and the word beyondship. Beyoundship website has a good collections of photo, a ship profile description and sample of daily activities and restaurant menu in pdg to look at

Or have a look at the sticky at the top of this board !

Or have a look at the sticky at the top of this board !

Good idea, my apologie, i didn notice that thread, i blame reading with my phone without my glasses while lying on the cought after a nap

I know in my case i did lot of research and spoke to many people and hesitated a lot bedore booking my first cunard, in the end, my only regret was not taking a cruise a bit longer, for me at least

Yes, it's amazing what some of us will consider a deal-breaker. A recent thread regarding the brand of crisps/potato chips on board had over 3,600 views. Some of these minutiae apparently really do affect a person's enjoyment of their vacation.

With today's pop culture trending towards Micro-aggressions life does get sticky.

Done 3 transatlantic and booked for Dec also obviously love it. Older than you by quite a bit but have met and seen many similar age to you And some quite a bit younger, all nationalities children yes the normal mix but not massive amounts.

The joy of QM 2 is the amount of room everywhere can almost guarantee finding a quite spot if needed. The food is very good. The cabins if you look on the Cunard site under accomodation you will see all the info.

I did my first transatlantic on the QM2 5 years when I was 32. I'm about to go on my 6th in just over a month. Before that we cruised with Royal Caribbean.

So my answer is YES, go for it! Cunard is perfectly suitable for younger people. it's certainly different from Royal Caribbean (or Disney, did one of those too and very much enjoyed it), but it's nice to have the variety.

I find the transatlantics very relaxing and the inside cabins have plenty of space and storage. We combined one of our trips with a 5 week camping/road trip through the national parks in the west, so had loads of luggage, yet still had enough room.

I would doubt very much you'd be unhappy with the experience. I worried too about it being too stuffy, old or snobbish, but it really isn't. You might get this song stuck in your head on the first day though:

;)

seems december would be a bad time of year weatherwise?

I think there is an entire set of people who prefer winter crossings---more movement on the ship. At least that is what I gather from reading postings on cruise critic. Made it sound like an exciting time for a voyage on the QM2 : )

This is how Angus Struthers answered the question this morning -

Who is Cunard for? Cunard is for those who enjoy a sense of occasion, exploring destinations onboard the most iconic ships in the world. Their scale, enables us to offer a large variety of things to do - from world renowned speakers, to learning to tango, to enjoying fine dining any time of the day in luxurious refinement. It's always relaxed and a great quote I once heard from a guest was, "I'm only bored on Cunard if I want to be bored".

Hi NOSaints1,

In case you haven't seen this already, Thaxted posted this link earlier today to an article from the Washington Post about a transatlantic crossing on QM2.

I think this article does an excellent job of describing the Cunard experience (and especially the transatlantic crossing experience on QM2) from a first-timers perspective. I also think it does a very good job, at least in a general sense, of addressing the question "who is Cunard for?"

Regards,

John.

What a lovely article. I felt as if I was back on her. Thank you for posting.

Cinta,

Regarding your location..........we know Thornbury very well. We stayed at Thornbury Castle on our first trip to the UK many years ago after arriving on the QE2 and have had several subsequent visits since then. The latest was last November prior to returning to the US on the QM2.

Lovely bacon roll at the Swan, btw.