Who is Cunard for?

NOSaints1

Do they offer Coke?

The fountain soft drinks served in the bars and the cans in your stateroom refrigerator are Pepsi products. If you purchase the soft drinks package, that is limited to the fountain soft drinks, so that means Pepsi, sorry. Cunard converted from Coke to Pepsi a year or two ago. I have read that Coke can still be ordered in the bars, but Coke is not available in the soft drinks package.

Regards,

John.

I haven't stayed in an inside or oceanview stateroom myself, but from what I have seen of them, they seem to have plenty of space. Perhaps others who have stayed in those categories will be along to provide their experiences.
The best oceanview staterooms on QM2 are in 4-5-6 just forward of the forwardmost shelter balcony staterooms. All of the area occupied by the balcony just aft is part,of the stateroom interior.
Do they have more British food or American as well?
I'd say there's a British style to the Britainnia (main dining room) menus. You can get simple or elegant food but it may not appeal if your palate is rigidly American.

Do you find 7 days more of a younger crowd, we're looking at 2017 as we have a cruise booked for next year. Is it better to go from England to NY or vice versa? Does the inside/OV have enough space?

For me, going east to west is *very* important. Going east to west, you get more time in the day. Going west to east, you lose time each day. So you can't sleep as much. I am very sensitive to it, and it's a big factor to me to go east to west. Like, being extra relaxed versus getting a slow-motion jet lag. So I would vote, go England to New York.

We did NY to Southampton after a 18 day road trip. It worked for us becuase we had a lot of shopping (13 pieces of luggage between 4 of us). It allowed our daughter to bring home American food which she is being very good and eating sparingly so that it lasts as lo g as possible. We had two Inside cabins and had plenty of room for all the shopping.

You have had lots of great advice on this thread, why don't you tell us what sort of experience you are looking for ?

Are you considering a Transatlantic crossing or a cruise ?

If you like formality, dressing for dinner, fixed dining and an older, more international demographic than you would have on Carnival, then Cunard May be for you.

You have asked very similar questions about HAL, Princess and Celebrity, are you favouring any of them ?

We dont drink alcohol or soft drinks, and are happy with the coffee tea and fruit juice at breakfast. First time on Cunard so asking if there is complementary tea coffee water or anything else on tap throughout the day to help ourselves to like on the other ships.

Edited by Tara Jane

For me, going east to west is *very* important. Going east to west, you get more time in the day. Going west to east, you lose time each day. So you can't sleep as much. I am very sensitive to it, and it's a big factor to me to go east to west. Like, being extra relaxed versus getting a slow-motion jet lag. So I would vote, go England to New York.

On the other hand, I'd put up with the "slow motion jet lag" to avoid an overnight eastbound flight.

You have had lots of great advice on this thread, why don't you tell us what sort of experience you are looking for ?

Are you considering a Transatlantic crossing or a cruise ?

If you like formality, dressing for dinner, fixed dining and an older, more international demographic than you would have on Carnival, then Cunard May be for you.

You have asked very similar questions about HAL, Princess and Celebrity, are you favouring any of them ?

Thank goodness for that Hattie. I think this thread should be terminated now.The OP has been given enough information to digest. I'm amazed at how many posters have been so patient, replying with some very helpful and constructive answers.

:)

You actually wouldn't go if the only served Pepsi ?

Yes, it's amazing what some of us will consider a deal-breaker. A recent thread regarding the brand of crisps/potato chips on board had over 3,600 views. Some of these minutiae apparently really do affect a person's enjoyment of their vacation.

I don't think this cruise is for the OP at all.
Sadly I have to agree with you, I think the OP would be very unhappy on a Cunard cruise, judging by his previous posts on CC.

He's been very happy with Carnival (three cruises I think) as they have water-slides, automatic "coin-in-the-slot" type soft-drink dispensing machines (which would seem to be pretty much essential), "branded" burgers, and Carnival allow passengers to wear whatever the person feels comfortable to dinner in the MDR.

Now you can get burgers in the QM2 Chefs Galley, and I seem to remember they were available from a casual eatery near the stern pool on QE & QV (but may be wrong). However they certainly weren't a special brand bought in, but actually made on board in the galleys, which I feel probably wouldn't be similar.

None of the Cunard vessels has a water slide (yet ;)), the soft-drink dispensers in the buffet areas are small table-top things that simply fill a cup, and... as is discussed here every few days, Cunard have a very formal (often enforced) ship-wide dress-code in the evenings (not just in the dining rooms).

So on balance I would suggest that the OP could have a miserable time on board a Cunard ship :(, and could feel he's wasted his money being so unhappy, when he could have had a great time had he sailed with Carnival :).

Which is a great pity, as I love Cunard and want everyone to experience what I enjoy about being on board one of the ships, and to fall in love with the Cunard style as I did many years ago :) .

I wish the OP many happy sailings for the future :)

Edited by pepperrn

Would be happy on Carnival eh! Than why would we be going on the Adventure of Seas, where they have no water slides, but more about the ports going out of San Juan. We had a cruise booked on the Soltice going to Alaska, but stuff came up. Maybe Cunard people think there better than other people, who think they know everything.

Maybe Cunard people think there better than other people, who think they know everything.

The members of this board know a great deal about Cunard and have answered your questions honestly and thoughtfully.

Nobody wants to encourage anyone onto Cunard unless it would be right for them.

Enjoy your future cruises and if you do decide to try Cunard, come back & let us know how you get on.

Would be happy on Carnival eh! Than why would we be going on the Adventure of Seas, where they have no water slides, but more about the ports going out of San Juan. We had a cruise booked on the Soltice going to Alaska, but stuff came up. Maybe Cunard people think there better than other people, who think they know everything.

Absolutely not! Just an exchange of information so very individual can decide for him/herself what/where/when a cruise or cruise line would be the best choice.

There are many choices out there. DH and I have been happy on a number of cruise lines. But, it is nice to know what to expect.

We sailed on Carnival once---repositioning. Fellow passengers were very pleasant people. Service was great, but didn't like the food. Hated the ship's appearance. …A one-time experience.

Who is the typical Cunard passenger? This varies with the voyage.

We all post our opinions here. Take them as you will. I think the goal is to be helpful. I've learned a lot from cruise critic and that is why I try to answer questions for others.

Happy Sailing!

My DW and I are in our mud 30s and just wondering what kinds of people are on Cunard, and is this ship for young people as well, what kind of food is offered, activities for younger people and what ship would be better for us? We've only sailed 3x with Carnival, once soon to be with RC.

We like Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth because they have morning bridge lectures and afternoon duplicate bridge games. They also have 3 lecturers so usually 2 subjects of interest and they show a movie in the afternoon in the theatre. These are activities that we are interested in. So if we see an itinerary that interests us on these ships we are happy to go.

They also have ballroom dancing and afternoon tea, activities which I do not participate in.

Not being in the more expensive cabins, I found the food to be on par with the other mainstream cruise lines. Choose carefully and you can always find something that you like.

I don't think there is a specific type of people on the ship. Most of the people on the cruises we take are older than 30 but we generally cruise in October and May. We did a holiday cruise on QV and there were maybe 30 young people on the ship as compared to the 600 on Explorer of the Seas the year before. Note this was a holiday cruise. There are a lot more English and Scottish people sailing Cunard and I have met some of the nicest people on these cruises and made good friends of dinner companions.

The rule is to dress up for dinner and after dinner activities. If you are not okay with this, then I would not even consider Cunard.

My answer to you would be to try Royal Caribbean. They are gearing their ships for younger guests. If you travel during May and October you will have more people your age, but they will have children who are not yet in school.

I am in my 60s and I loved the Oasis cruise I took a few years back. Each cruise line/ship is a different experience. If you are looking for a younger crowd, I suggest you try some of the different Royal Caribbean ships next.

You also asked about which way to travel. The biggest difference is that in one direction you gain an hour a day and in the other you lose an hour a day. I would prefer to go from England to the U.S. so that you have a shorter flight home at the end of the trip, less jet lag and longer days on the ship. If I flew to England I would want to get there at least a few days early and do some sightseeing. But I would also prefer a port intensive cruise so I choose my cruises for ports and not the age of the other guests.

The inside/OV cabins are different sizes on different ships and sometimes different decks. You need to check that out. Most people who like insides know they do not spend a lot of time in the cabin so the size really does not matter.