Pillows on Eclipse ... not worthy of one star

seapals2

Just returned from our med cruise on Eclipse. We had a balcony cabin on deck 7. Having a slight neck problem means I need an extra pillow. Our request was met promptly ..but ... the pillows were a disgrace. We requested that three were removed and replaced ... they were removed and I was left ..one replacement. A call to guest relations at 10.30pm produced three more pillows ... equally disgusting. It seemed they were filled with balls of cotton wool .. lumpy and lacking any support.

By the end of our two week cruise I had used nearly two tubes of ibrufen gel on my stiff neck and shoulders. How I wished I had taken my own pillows.

We had an aqua grade cabin on our last cruise on Equinox and don't remember having any problem at all with the quality of bedding, mattress or pillows. I have taken photos of our pathetic pillow substitutes in their grimy, stained cover slips along with the mattress protector which had several blood stains that I discovered only at the end of our cruise. The cabin steward should never have used these even if they were sent from the laundry.

Incidentally ....everywhere around the ships the spa girls were offering taster neck and shoulder massages .. the cynic in me thinks that's the reason for the poor pillows, to get you to think you have painful neck muscles that would benefit from a massage.

We were on the Eclipse earlier in the year, in a balcony cabin, our pillows were fine. When you found stained mattress proctector and stained pillow covers did you contact the Housekeeping Supervisor? I certainly would have!

We immediately spoke to the steward who apologised and re made the bed with fresh bedding ... he even found a couple of better pillows but with only two nights left it was too little too late.

The fact that they even think of putting such worn out pillows on beds makes me shudder. They should have been discarded ages ago. The very fact the ship has recently been in for a refurb would make you wonder why they weren't all replaced at that time.

I will be sending through my photos to Celebrity. It was not acceptable for a one star hotel let alone a company that puts itself out there as a luxury line.

Yuck! We will be on the ship next month. I need support for a bad neck and injured shoulder. I may take a couple of pillow cases to cover some of the decorative pillows and use for sleeping underneath the 1* pillows. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

Have cruised over 10 times with Celebrity. I like a firm foam pillow (sorry) and my wife likes down. Easy, we just let the room steward know as soon as we arrive in our cabin. Extra pillows - not a problem if you ask immediately. Does not matter the type of cabin from suite to inside. The key is asking while they still have a supply available - first come first served! And yes they have about 4 different types from my foam to polyester to down.

We asked as soon as we went to the cabin and we did receive extra but apart from one pillow the quality was very poor. We eventually got a type of orthopaedic neck foam pillow but unless you are used to sleeping on a foam shaped block it will be of little use. The steward took three pillows in exchange for that one!

When you consider how long you spend asleep on a two week cruise it really is important that the pillow is hygienic and fit for purpose. Sadly the ones we had were neither.

That's odd......one of the things I always rave about are the wonderful pillows on our cruises....including Eclipse just a few months ago....I've gone so far as to take the cases off to try to find the brand they are using....unfortunately all tags removed so it remained a mystery.....hope they haven't changed to a lesser pillow!!

I had a similar problem on Equinox in August. The pillows were not the same as before. This time they were of dreadful quality. Felt like screwed up cotton wool balls inside with no support. I should have complained I know, but I didn't and just put up with it. Do you think this is another cut back? Next time I will take my own