Sailing closed for inventory maintenance..what does this really mean?

RAIDERMOM

Hello

Looking to book the Jewel of the Seas in August 2016. When I try to book August 14th shows that there are no available rooms..Automatically I think Chartered but I call Royal and they say no Charter- Just shows closed due to Inventory Maintenance.

Do you think this sailing will ever show up..Anyone with past experiences with this situation?

Hello

Looking to book the Jewel of the Seas in August 2016. When I try to book August 14th shows that there are no available rooms..Automatically I think Chartered but I call Royal and they say no Charter- Just shows closed due to Inventory Maintenance.

Do you think this sailing will ever show up..Anyone with past experiences with this situation?

Sounds fishy, she would have just gotten out of dry dock in the spring

Before RCI officially announced that our Oasis cruise in March 2016 was chartered they kept telling us that it was unavailable due to inventory maintenance. One rep even went so far as to tell us that they were deciding what rooms the crew were getting.:rolleyes:

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Itinerary change? Had that happen to us before.........for a month or more for the ship. Different departure ports, days of length and ports.

Had the same thing a few years ago. Ship ended up doing a transatlantic 1 week earlier than originally scheduled. That was the week we had booked for a Caribbean Cruise :( . We were notified far enough in advance, but status was "inventory maintenance" for several weeks before getting the official notice and the option to rebook another week or another ship.

Edited by mslaabs

The most likely answer is that the sailing is in limbo. Many times Royal (as well as other cruise lines) will close a sailing well into the future while a charter is in the process of being negotiated. This could take weeks and ultimately either confirm or fall through. So "inventory maintenance" is all the reservations folk have to tell you until something happens one way or another. Another thing they may do is close an adjacent sailing either for the same reason or because they want a landing spot for folks who are going to be displaced by the charter if it happens. This has happened in the Orient to me this year.

There is such thing as inventory maintenance. Quite a number of times my booked sailing became NA for a while, then prices came back.

But there are also some cases it became NA for a long time, then after a few months, I received an email that my cruise got chartered.