Amtrak Philadelphia to Cape Liberty

ping1

Questions for cruisers who took Amtrak in Philadelphia to Cape Liberty:

Is the train platform aligned with the train---which one could "wheel" their suitcase on? Or does a rider have to lift their suitcase up a couple of steps?

Once you've arrived at the train station closest to Cape Liberty, how much is a cab ride to the port?

Thank you!

Questions for cruisers who took Amtrak in Philadelphia to Cape Liberty:

Is the train platform aligned with the train---which one could "wheel" their suitcase on? Or does a rider have to lift their suitcase up a couple of steps?

Once you've arrived at the train station closest to Cape Liberty, how much is a cab ride to the port?

Thank you!

Give a red cap $5 and he'll put ur luggage on the train for u and help you to a seat. We do Amtrak from Philly all the time. Ask for Carl. Best red cap. He'll hold onto ur bags for u too if u have time to kill in philly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The closest Amtrak stations to Cape Liberty are Newark Airport ($5 surcharge per person for the AirTrain from the station to the terminal) or Newark Penn Station about 10 minutes up the line from the airport. No clue on the taxi cost but it is about a 15-20 minute trip from either station to the port.

Wouldn't you rather take the bus?

Departures to/from Bayonne, N.J

This service is offered in the following cities: Washington, DC; Baltimore, MD; Wilmington, DE; Philadelphia, PA; Braintree, MA; Worcester, MA; Springfield, MA; Hartford, CT; Warwick, RI; New London, CT; New Haven, CT; Bridgeport, CT; Manchester, NH; Salem NH; Woburn, MA; Framingham, MA; Long Island, NY.

For prices, availability and pick-up locations, please call Celebrity Cruises at 1-800- 327-6700 or contact your Travel Agent.

The closest Amtrak stations to Cape Liberty are Newark Airport ($5 surcharge per person for the AirTrain from the station to the terminal) or Newark Penn Station about 10 minutes up the line from the airport. No clue on the taxi cost but it is about a 15-20 minute trip from either station to the port.

It makes no sense to use the Newark Airport station because you have to take the AirTrain to one of the airline terminals in order to get a taxi to Cape Liberty. There is no ground transportation available at the Newark Airport railroad station. You'd just be wasting time transferring and paying the $5 AirTrain surcharge getting nothing in return.

From Newark Penn Station (or from the airport for that matter) a taxi to Cape Liberty will be about $55-$60.

Public transit is also an option from Newark Penn a Station. PATH is right across the platform $2.75/pp to Exchange Place. Escalator or two elevators up to the street. Accessible Light Rail station is right there across a small plaza - $2.10 to Bayonne 34th St. Then you call a cab - about $10-12 into the port. I did this in January. I left my hotel in Newark at 9 am and was at 34th St. in Bayonne just after 10 am trolling two small pieces of luggage. All flat access - no steps or stairs.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JKnirvbjuz8

No steps onto Amtrak trains...but "watch the gap"

Allow PLENTY of time...frankly come up the day before...one broken down Amtrak or NJ Transit train or downed wire and you're SOL.... The North East Corridor has been crap this year...

On time and Amtrak are NEVER to be used in the same sentence...

• 1 month later...

I agree about taking the coach, or even driving yourself. I love the train - Acela or regular service - but the downtown Newark station is a hefty taxi charge and the EWR airport station is a PITA. I wish they would offer a coach stop at Metropark; I believe it would be very popular.

I agree about taking the coach, or even driving yourself. I love the train - Acela or regular service - but the downtown Newark station is a hefty taxi charge and the EWR airport station is a PITA. I wish they would offer a coach stop at Metropark; I believe it would be very popular.

Coming from the south it is very easy to take public transit to Cape Liberty from Newark Penn Station if you can roll your luggage. The route is totally accessible. Coming from the north the PATH transfer is more complicated at NPS, but there is an elevator at the north end of the platform to facilitate the track switch.

At NPS PATH is usually just across the platform coming from the south. It takes 18 minutes to go to Exchange Place. ($2.75) At Exchange Place the light rail is on the street just across a small plaza. It takes 16 minutes to go to 34th St. in Bayonne. ($2.10) PATH has elevator and escalator access and the light rail station is street level with ramp access up 18 inches. All train access is level. You call a cab in Bayonne and they will swing by to pick you up (details can be provided). About $10-12 into the port. After 9 am it is possible to get seats on PATH and the light rail and there is room for your luggage.

I did this trip in two legs in Jan (first Amtrak, overnight, and the PATH) and quite frankly found negotiating my way in and out of NPS to be way more hassle than just directly switching from the train to PATH ever would have been.

• 4 months later...

Which is the better Amtrak station to go from Cape Liberty to Philadelphia?

Newark Airport Station or the Downtown Newark/New Jersey station?

Does anyone know if RCI still offers a bus shuttle from the port to Philadelphia?

Does anyone know if RCI still offers a bus shuttle from the port to Philadelphia?

Newark Penn (downtown) for sure. Do not use the airport station -- you will be paying more for a less useful ride.

And no, the bus shuttle has sadly been canceled.

Do not get off at the airport. There is no ground transportation available from there, just the monorail to the terminals.

Does anyone know the cab fare from Cape Liberty to the Penn station? Second, is there an elevator to go up to the platform? Do you have to lift your suitcase up the steps to the train at Penn station?

thank you for all who responded.

Does anyone know the cab fare from Cape Liberty to the Penn station? Second, is there an elevator to go up to the platform? Do you have to lift your suitcase up the steps to the train at Penn station?

thank you for all who responded.

Cab Fare should be $55-65. Yes there is an elevator, but you have to search around for it. There may also escalators running up to the platform. Be sure you know your track number before going up. Train access is on a level platform with no steps.