Cuba.Where everyone loves Ron.

drron29

So after dinner it was off to the show.Not this show-

DSC05436.JPG

But this show-

DSC05437.JPG.DSC05448.JPG.

But the first of a bad 24 hours.As was told in another thread 2/3rds of the passengers are with an Australian Group Captain's Choice.Not sure of what actually happened.The group had been told that this was an exclusive Captain's Choice cruise but there are 18 of us to disprove that.We had booked in late August 2013.

For tonight there were 2 busses for Captain's Choice and one for the group which became known in the third bus as the "outcasts".The first 2 busses left but we waited for about another 15 minutes even though we were all on the bus.This meant we were placed at the last 2 tables to the side and behind the front of the stage.It was noted by all of our table that the best table was seating for SS staff.

Fortunately there were dancers behind us-

DSC05449.JPG.DSC05451.JPG.

DSC05453.JPG.

So after dinner it was off to the show. Not this show- But this show-

Great to see the pictures from the famed Tropicana night club. Brings back wonderful personal memories. Too bad that the seating did not work out better, BUT, the key thing was . . . BEING THERE!! Keep up the excellent sharing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 123,417 views for this posting.

So the last of the Tropicana.

DSC05481.JPG.DSC05492.JPG.

DSC08353.JPG.DSC05495.JPG.

Now each table was served 3 full size bottles of Havana Club rum.Noone else on our table drank rum so I did my best not to let the table down.Even so fortified I really didn't think this show was great.Two hours of very similar dances done in different clothes.The music had a sameness about it and the singing was not off key.I suppose OK to go once but definitely not on my recommend list.

On top of all that there were a couple of blackouts during the show and then everything stops.

A quick trip back to the boat and off to bed with an early start to our "Yank Tank"tour of Havana.

Apologies in the last post a not appeared instead of an often off key.When I hit the edit button the internet died.By the time it came back the edit button was gone.

And so to our second morning and what is undoubtedly a highlight of the cruise-the old American Car tour.Unfortunately this started off on a sour note.We all lined up to be assigned to cars when the Captain's Choice leaders would bring their passengers to the front of the queue.I went up to the dispatcher only to be told get back in line.When the Expedition Leader walked by and asked how everthing was I told him in no uncertain terms.I think they thought I was a troublemaker but I had the backing of many of the outcasts.

So to the good part-the cars.Now who has ridden in one of these-

DSC05496.JPG.DSC05497.JPG.

And they came in many vintages-

DSC05498.JPG.DSC05499.JPG.

DSC05500.JPG.DSC05501.JPG.

The American Embassy with the flag flying-

DSC05511.JPG .

However the Cubans have put a "sculpture" outside with 73 poles.One for each of the people who died in the Cubana plane crash of 1976.One of the accused responsible escaped from Venezuela and is still alive and living in the USA.The Cubans are making a silent point.

DSC08357.JPG.DSC05513.JPG.

DSC05514.JPG.

Some of the mansions abandoned in 1959 on the Avenue leading to the Revolution Plaza-

DSC05518.JPG.DSC05519.JPG.

One more-

DSC05520.JPG.

Possibly because of the complaint we had one of the Expedition staff in our car-the German born,Spanish speaking fellow with the French name who has lived in South America but now lives in Belgium-Pierre.He gradually got the confidence of our Cuban driver so we found out a lot from an ordinary Cuban.First in Revolutionary Square this structure had been built for Pope Francis and his public mass.Although many wanted to go the numbers were enhanced by ordinary Cubans being asked to go.If not they would lose their ration card.

DSC05525.JPG.

But back to the cars-

DSC05524.JPG.DSC05526.JPG.

DSC05528.JPG.DSC05530.JPG.

It was then off to a cigar factory.No photos allowed there.When you saw the working conditions you knew why.

DSC05537.JPG.DSC05539.JPG

This was a poor neighbourhood and a fair bit of graffiti.I was told this was Prince Ron for President but later told it was either Dayron Robles a Cuban Olympic gold medallist or a character from a Cuban show El Principe.Personally I prefer the first meaning offered.Now a house for several families-

DSC05540.JPG.DSC05541.JPG.

The cigar factory stood out-

DSC05542.JPG.DSC05543.JPG.

We then walked to the next street where the cigars were sold as well as rum-

DSC05546.JPG.DSC08380.JPG.

Expensive cigars even though the workers are paid a pittance-

DSC08388.JPG.DSC08392.JPG.

I preferred to stay outside.A good example of poorly maintained Art Deco-

DSC05544.JPG.DSC05545.JPG.

As we went back to the ship a local bus pulled up alongside us.Several leant out the windows shouting "Hola Papa Hemingway."I think I have become one of the most recognisable faces in Habana!

Back on board and a cold shower,nice lunch and a 2 hour nanny nap waking in time for sail away.

DSC05619.JPG.DSC05620.JPG.

DSC05622.JPG.DSC05623.JPG.

DSC05624.JPG.DSC05626.JPG.

Edited by drron29

So now the third incident in 24 hours.We had booked for Hot Rocks on the Pool Deck.Only 24 diners here per night.Arrived to find no seats.Just a misunderstanding we are told.however we know the staff well and pretty simple to find out what happened.A group of 4 demanded they sit at the table reserved for us then a couple on the waitlist turned up saying they had a definite booking.

So back to the MDR.It was obvious we were not happy.A member of the Expedition staff came to dine with us as well as one of the Captain's Choice leaders.The Expedition staff member was from Ecuador.One of his sons goes to school with the President's son so he knows him personally.We got a good discussion about South American politics.

So probably worth a little discussion on what we had learnt already about Cuba.First the claim that there was an improvement in Education after the revolution.once again it was stated that Education before the revolution was available freely and of a high standard.Interestingly one of our Government guides later in the trip called the Post Revolution Education changes-the indoctrination changes.

Then the claim that the health system is excellent and has resulted in the improvement of life expectancy.However most of this increase came between 1989-94 when the average calorie intake of Cubans dropped from 2800 to 1800.The so called Special period when soviet aid dried up.

Discussions with ordinary Cubans gave conflicting views on health but a common theme was their is excellent health facilities for foreigners who pay cash or highly ranked Government or party officials.There is good health coverage for those in other ranks of government or party but for ordinary Cubans the health care is,well,ordinary.

The biggest export Cuba now has are doctors.At least 2000 Cuban doctors work in Venezuela.Their pay is $US1500 a month but they get $500.The Cuban government gets $1000 in oil.More recently a similar scheme is being instituted in South Africa.

Enough for now the next post is a visit to a National Park.