Cuba.Where everyone loves Ron.

drron29

If you go to the website of the group you are sharing the cruise with, you will see just how many charters they have with silversea.

Quite a few.

I guess I would try and steer clear of those.

Thanks for all the great Photos and commentary.

The subject of Cuba in the area where I live is still a sore one. Many who lost everything still harbor hopes that one day they will be able to reclaim their land and homes.

Spinnaker2 I am afraid those that harbour hopes of regaining their property almost certainly have no hope.There appears to be a campaign emanating from the Cuban Government that in order for the USA to normalise relations they will have to pay reparations.An amount of $640 billion is mentioned a few times for example in the paper I bought.

That paper and billboards that appear new call the blockade genocide.

DSC06227.JPG.

Certainly avoid a Captain's Choice cruise on an Expedition ship.Even on the Cloud or Wind where we have had a CC group they are a mere annoyance as they are outnumbered by other passengers.But they have a really marked effect on the smaller ships.

I just want to say though that the SS staff really did respond to our criticism.Indeed after these incidents a couple of the CC cruisers said they thought we were being favoured.But it was just that they thought it was their exclusive cruise as it was marketed by CC as that.

I really have no idea how it ended up as it did.In 2013 when it was released they couldn't market it to those from the USA but we were told that there would be 2 or 3 groups on this cruise so we were prepared to be 2 loners if necessary.

So on with the story.

Thursday and the weather was overcast,windy with choppy seas.Fortunately it improved and by the time we got to Isla de la Juventad the weather was perfect.The island has an interesting history.Often called Treasure Island and indeed some treasure has been found here.The book of that name by Robert Louis Stevenson was based on stories from here.It was though until 1978 known as the Isle of Pines.

Also after the Spanish-American war ended this island was not included as part of Cuba.It was only in 1925 that a treaty was passed by the US congress including this as Cuban territory.

It was then known as a prison with Fidel Castro being imprisoned here in the early 50s but released after 2 years of his 14 year sentence.

So to the pictures with the jetty,the Explorer and what is left of the prison jetty-

DSC05664.JPG.DSC05665.JPG.

DSC05666.JPG.DSC08452.JPG.

Local craftsmen and then being greeted by the wildlife and locals with a refreshing coconut water-

DSC05662.JPG.DSC08453.JPG.

I then walked the trail through the mangroves to a large lagoon.It says there are both crocodiles and alligators here but I only saw birds,fish and insects-

DSC05684.JPG.DSC05692.JPG

DSC05688.JPG.

DSC05689.JPG.

DSC05690.JPG.DSC05694.JPG.

Edited by drron29

After that little walk I had a dip in the sea with Rojaan.I was going to snorkel but the wind had come up and the seas a lot choppier so I went back to the ship.Then the usual cold shower and a nap.Dinner with a mother and daughter from Australia.The mother was a classical pianist who had accompanied many of Australia's opera singers.A very interesting night.

Also nice food.I had snails,asparagus soup with scallops and roast lamb cooked to perfection.A nice easy drinking French red with the lamb.That night was also a reasonable sunset-

DSC05696.JPG.DSC05698.JPG.DSC05702.JPG.

DSC05708.JPG.DSC05713.JPG.

DSC05717.JPG

Friday was a sea day with beautiful weather.After waking I started to fill the bath but soon noticed water leaking from the bottom of the tiles.Emptied it but soon some water leaking into the suite.We both had a quick shower.Notified our butler and prepared to go to breakfast.The maintenance man arrive before we got out the door and when we returned from breakfast the problem was fixed and has remained so.

The rest of the day was spent relaxing and listening to a couple of lectures before retiring early.

The next day we entered the port of Cienfuegos-narrow entrance into a huge bay.Weather was still fine even though a cyclone was off the north east tip of Cuba.

DSC05722.JPG.DSC05725.JPG.

DSC05726.JPG.DSC05728.JPG.

DSC05730.JPG.DSC05731.JPG.