Cuba.Where everyone loves Ron.

drron29

DSC05886.JPG.DSC05888.JPG.

Then to a bar for a rum,lime and sugar drink that was used to keep the slaves on the sugar plantations going.Along with some music-

DSC05889.JPG.DSC05890.JPG.

DSC05893.JPG.

The bus station and the touts are ready for inexperienced tourists.

DSC05895.JPG.

Then it was time for lunch.A Cuban farce.Apparently the restaurant we were to use was changed leading to confusion.We were to each have 3 appetisers-a soup.a tuna salad and one other.Then a choice of mains-meat skewer,prawns or chicken and 2 desserts.But it was pot luck.We actually got 2 appetisers,a main and the 2 desserts.Others got nothing.A drink is included.

DSC05896.JPG.DSC05898.JPG.

DSC05899.JPG.DSC05900.JPG.

DSC05901.JPG.

I had the meat skewer.The pork and beef were the consistency of old buccaneers boots.Couldn't eat them.The sausage and chicken were OK.

One thing noticeable in Trinidad was the concentration of artist's on Ernesto with Fidel only appearing in old photos-

DSC05942.JPGDSC05943.JPG.

The hospital looked good from the front but side on-

DSC05947.JPG.DSC05948.JPG.

But you can stay in the doctor's house-

DSC05953.JPG.

Not much of a range in the grocery store-

DSC05955.JPG.

A craft market.Had an interesting conversation here with a local that wanted to talk English.I asked him why the art was all about Ernesto Che and nothing of Fidel.He took me across the road saying loudly I will show you a place that sells pictures of Fidel,then whispering -I can not tell you as people are listening.As agreed his photo does not appear in any of the posted pics.

DSC05958.JPG.

Another sort of bus.And you can buy bacon for your trip.

DSC05959.JPG.DSC05960.JPG.

Now the drive back first along the coast-

DSC05968.JPG.DSC05970.JPG.

DSC05971.JPG.

The pics did not disappear for me but computers can certainly do anything they want.

Certainly a time warp.Even in Havana not a lot of new construction.

The cities reminded us of China 35 years ago.

When driving in the country we saw scenes that would not be out of place in Africa or small Pacific Islands.

We have travelled with a member of the expedition staff who has been travelling to Cuba for 15 years and leading tours there.He says it has been slowly changing over the last 6 years and when the Castro brothers have left the scene expects more rapid change.

Although your President has announced the normalising of relations this is not a done deal.The Cubans are demanding $US640 billion in reparations.

Pictures have slowly returned.

Maybe my internet connection??

Yes read your comments about reparations.

Thanks for insight as to current status.

Wonder if the amount demanded was discussed with Pope by either side in the brokering of reinstating relationship.

So that night Marcello the hotel director asked us to dine with him at Hot Rocks.This is what impresses me with SS.Service recovery.Excellent.

Rojaan had the Madagascar prawns and I the pork chop-

DSC02196.JPG.DSC02201.JPG.

DSC02199.JPG.

Desserts-apple pie and cheesecake-

DSC02203.JPG.DSC02204.JPG

You start with corn chips with guacamole or tomato salsa,then a salad.You can though order from the MDR menu of the night if you wish.We do enjoy doing this occasionally.

After our hot rocks dinner it was a couple of nightcaps in the Panorama lounge.As we walk in Alfredo begins playing Rojaan's favourite tunes.Impressive.

The next day was a sea day so slept in.During the day they offered other passengers a tour of the Deck 7 suites.We could hear everything said with several most upset that there were empty suites and they weren't offered an upgrade.

A good lecture on the revolution and that night was the Venetian Cocktail party.With a far from full cruise we came in 4th for the number of nights on SS.

Dinner with the Captain followed.Carpaccio and Osso Buco were great.Italian wines for the Venetian dinner.Being on the Captain's table we had a very nice 2004 red.Finished with Limoncello.

Sunday and an early morning entry to the Port of Santiago de Cuba-

DSC06085-001.JPG.DSC06087.JPG.

DSC06088.JPG.DSC06089.JPG.

DSC06090.JPG.DSC06092.JPG.

Edited by drron29