REST ASSURED - be very aware!!

mrscrab

Ok,

so stepping in here because I have actually had some experience with this...and made enquiries with SS for rest assured (and Mr W was not eligible for travel insurance)

To quote from communication with SS

"Rest assured" will let you change the cruise date, we don't do refunds, that would be the role of your insurer. You could of course change the date for 3 travellers (group of 4) and then claim the lost fare with your insurer. Alternatively you can claim all 4 in the event of cancellation.

From what was explain to me the insurer would then contact SS to confirm the cancellation of the booking and they give the go ahead to them that payout is eligible. The rest of us had insurance.

Having made a claim recently for airfares due to a closure of a resort from a weather incident, I was requested by the travel insurer to have a letter of cancellation from the management of the island which stated why I was cancelling. This also happenned a few years ago when we were stranded due to an airport closure. The insurer required a form from the airline, who duly processed it and returned it to the insurer.

given that mrscrab is likely dealing with insurers in Australia and under Australian law then I would expect this would be the closest scenario for a claim. ACE is the underwriter for Australian Amex cards, and they are based in Sydney.

This so sadddening, mrs crab, to have to deal with this whilst grieving. My condolences.

Question for the board: I have AmEx platinum. Does this mean I need not buy insurance when traveling?

Only if you book and pay for a percentage of the trip with the card. You need to look at the fine print, some platinum cards require 100%, other just the deposit. (based on having an Amex Platinum store issued card)

Dear mrs crab,

My deepest condolences on your loss. When my husband died 10 years ago, I was reimbursed in full from a third-party insurance company (insurance NOT purchased through a cruise line). We had insured both our cruise and air fares. I was surprised that United Airlines reimbursed me for both our air fares; I had only to send United copies of our canceled cruise and David's death certificate.

I don't know if your air fares were also covered by your insurance or if your airline fully refunds in case of death of a passenger. In any case if the airline fully refunds you cannot claim air fares on your Amex insurance carrier.

P.S. Listen to Jeff; he knows whereof he speaks.

And again, my thoughts are with you. Remember only happy times; trust me, other thoughts will fade and peace will eventually be with you.

Winnie

CC is really not the place to look for legal advice. Mrscrab, please understand that all these people mean well but are not familiar with your exact circumstances and local laws. Take good care of yourself.

Edited by duct tape

Question for the board: I have AmEx platinum. Does this mean I need not buy insurance when traveling?

In deference and to respect mrscrab and her situation in this thread, may I respectfully suggest that if you wish to discuss insurance more widely you seek opinion and feedback either in the cooler or in a more targetted forum.

In summary, I'd say that one of the potentially most dangerous decisions you could make is whether your credit card insurance is adequate based on ad hoc and random feedback here. Travel insurance is extremely easy to buy and extremely easy - particularly for more mature travellers - to get wrong and when it does go wrong it can have alarming repurcussions.

Good luck.

mrscrab ......... hope you are OK today. Or as OK as you can be.

Jeff

Today our GP filled out all the forms to claim from the C/C insurance so will have everything in the mail by tomorrow.

I am well aware to those who have mentioned it that I can't double dip and use the rest assured programme as well as the C/C.

I will keep people informed as to what happens.

I wonder how often SS keep monies in cases such as mine.

Thankyou everyone, people are helpful in times such as this.

Today our GP filled out all the forms to claim from the C/C insurance so will have everything in the mail by tomorrow.

I am well aware to those who have mentioned it that I can't double dip and use the rest assured programme as well as the C/C.

I will keep people informed as to what happens.

I wonder how often SS keep monies in cases such as mine.

Thankyou everyone, people are helpful in times such as this.

Lovely to see you back .... and hopefully the CC insurance will be fine. In the UK Amex insurance - particularly Plat - have been really great - exceptionally so - when I have had the odd problem and even when doing daft things. They have never been a problem and they have dealt with me by email and phone and nothing has ever been a problem.

In terms of SS keeping the cash, I understand how you feel about this but effectively if and when a passenger takes advantage of this programme SS effectively could end up with a suite at the last moment (for two passengers more often than not) that they need to re-sell and probably won't until your reach 100% occupancy minus one suite in theory. If this is someone cancelling a day or two before departure it represents quite a loss. I know you feel raw about this and I totally empathise, but as I suggested - if in all other respects you have been content with SS, please don't be too harsh on them on this issues and forgo future cruises if it might make you happy. I'm no apologist for SS, but will always try to be fair ......:)

Hopefully when you get the cash back and want to start thinking a bit about travel again, do pop over to the cooler for some tea and a chat. You supply the tea and we, or more particularly and accurately the several ladies over there who understand what you are going through as they have gone through it, will offer friendship and a chat and in the unlikely event that you have an interest in food then I am also there to bore you to distraction with annoying pictures and a continuing discourse on what I am cooking for my wife.

Have a better day today. :)

Jeff

....... and just to remind ....do not inform SS that you will not be availing yourself of the Rest Assured programme until you have received any insurance payout.

I am just concerned that if you tell them now, and there is then subsequenely a problem with the insurance payout, then SS might say that you had cancelled your participation in the Rest Assured programme and then you have lost both if you get my drift. I'm just trying to ensure you do not get yourself into an avoidable pickle.

Tell SS once you safely have your insurance cash. Sorry to fret ... jsut trying to help .... :)

Jeff

This so sadddening, mrs crab, to have to deal with this whilst grieving. My condolences.

Should do but ask Amex for a copy of the insurance cover and check the small print gives you the cover you require.

• 2 weeks later...

To those members, like me, who are waiting for details from the Travel Insurance people re my husbands unexpected death and a claim. I have been advised that it will be dealt with "SOON" hopefully tomorrow in Western Australia. Will report as soon as I hear.

To those members, like me, who are waiting for details from the Travel Insurance people re my husbands unexpected death and a claim. I have been advised that it will be dealt with "SOON" hopefully tomorrow in Western Australia. Will report as soon as I hear.

IME certain things can take up to 3 months :eek:

a needs to talk to be who then confirms with c

C then emails a who by now is on leave so sent to D

...... they will almost certainly have a bunch of further questions for the doctor.

It's only about 10 or 12 working days since they received the documentation from the doc, and they have an obligation to all people who pay premiums to check everything through properly and once they are satisfied hopefully things will go smoothly through for mrscrab even though it might take a little longer than one always hopes.

Hope mrs crab stays in touch with us.

:)

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Today the travel insurance paid out for my husband but not me. Emirates have returned both airfares and I am a bit stuck with SS with the credit they are holding in my name. Just looking at what is sailing early next year in my neck of the woods.

To test how I travel on my own I have booked the Shadow from Hong Kong to Singapore November 22. Short haul from Perth and back on Singapore Airlines. I have said to SS if anyone deserves an upgrade it should be me after not refunding my late husbands fare.

A big thankyou to all those members who helped me in my darkest of days, I keep saying to myself "life goes on"

Today the travel insurance paid out for my husband but not me. Emirates have returned both airfares and I am a bit stuck with SS with the credit they are holding in my name. Just looking at what is sailing early next year in my neck of the woods.

To test how I travel on my own I have booked the Shadow from Hong Kong to Singapore November 22. Short haul from Perth and back on Singapore Airlines. I have said to SS if anyone deserves an upgrade it should be me after not refunding my late husbands fare.

A big thankyou to all those members who helped me in my darkest of days, I keep saying to myself "life goes on"

Hi,

Pleased to hear you are making progress. BEFORE you book and take up your trip with SS just double check your policy as the refusal to reimburse your cost doesn't sound right to me, but sounds like a misunderstanding. I am quite confident you are covered for reimbursement.

In the standard "free" Amex Plat policy from the UK policy it says that you should be covered and this cover is the normal cover for all policies I have ever seen. It says that it will refund for those non-refundable items if you have to cancel your trip if someone close to you falls ill, dies or has an accident. The policy is very clear.

It may be that they believe that you have been "refunded" by Silversea because they have offered an alternative crusie for you. This is not a refund.

If you would prefer to have the refund then I suggest you go back to your insurers and clarify the reasons why they have refused to refund your cruise charges and I believe it may be for the "misunderstanding" I have suggested. Be aware (if you are not), that you will need to refund the insurers your husbands airfare if they have paid out for it. Ask to speak to a claims manager so that they can understand that you cancelled BOTH cruises and do not wish to take a cruise without your late husband. Do not tell SS of this discussion until it has been concluded either way with your insurers just in case SS cancel the facility. Explain the cover with SS is insurance for the situation that BOTH you AND your husband decide to delay your cruise together to a later date and is not cancellation reimbursement cover. Your insurer would be quite wrong to persist in refusing refunding your cruise costs if the reason for their refusal is as I suggest. You should however take comfort in that they have agreed reimbursement of your husbands claim so this is now officially an insured cause of cancellation, and is now simply a much smaller discussion about what should be reimbursed.

Do keep in touch and I am more than happy to help you if the obstacle still continues. It is lovely to hear that you are doing your best to keep spirits up and always feel you can come to the cooler on Ladies morning where they still serve tea and cake and keep their hats on. :D

best wishes,

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff