Emerald Princess Rome to Barcelona September 26 -October 3 2015 in photos and video

Bimmer09

Norris,

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I'm a fan of yours and follow all your reviews.

We also sailed The Song Of Norway, before it was expanded. We're hooked; cruising ever since.

Thanks again,

Mark.

Mark-great to see you again!

Thanks for letting me know you are reading.

The S.O.N was a fun ship, fondly remembered.

Norris

I'm right with you Norris I'm squeezing in between you and Carol just imagine I'm not there (wait I wasn't there but I feel like I am)

LOL-the front seat was empty.

Carol and I sit in the back seat and wave like the Queen and Prince Philip as we pass. We have Emerald Princess boarding passes and they don't-it's the least we can do.

Norris

Keith, I took a huge thing about 8in x 5in which Carol got a day before we left and it weighed about 1.5 lbs- but we didn't use it (at least I didn't) I'm not in the house where it lives today but I will get you more info/a photo tomorrow.

Most of our gear is 110/220 and just needed a tiny plug adaptor to the Euro 2 round pin configuration. Some things like my Sony camcorder I charged through a USB port in my laptop.

I'll get back to you.

Norris

Thanks,

I am wondering if my apple mac book pro will need a full converter or just a plug adapter, anyone know?

Norris,

All of this talk about the Song of Norway is stirring up old memories. Our very first cruise was on the Song of Norway back in April, 1978. There was a 28 year gap between our first cruise and our second cruise as life got in the way of travel (kids, jobs, paying for college, weddings, etc.) but after cruise #2 we were hooked. Thanks for bringing this up as I have often tried to remember facts about the ship such as how many passengers it held. Very much enjoying riding along with you.

Thanks,

I am wondering if my apple mac book pro will need a full converter or just a plug adapter, anyone know?

We were there this summer with our Mac book Pro. Hubby says that the power brick that comes with the computer can handle the 240V there, so you just need to get a plug adapter. We bought Apple's so we had all countries covered in the future. We bought 2 other plugs for other things from Amazon and one worked and the other didn't at all. So I was glad we paid more and got Apple's plugs.

Thanks,

I would think that the power adapter would have the input voltage range on it somewhere (usually 100 to 240 volt).

Edit: I see that Mary Ann beat me to the answer.

Edited by ar1950

We were there this summer with our Mac book Pro. Hubby says that the power brick that comes with the computer can handle the 240V there, so you just need to get a plug adapter. We bought Apple's so we had all countries covered in the future. We bought 2 other plugs for other things from Amazon and one worked and the other didn't at all. So I was glad we paid more and got Apple's plugs.

I would think that the power adapter would have the input voltage range on it somewhere (usually 100 to 240 volt).

Edit: I see that Mary Ann beat me to the answer.

Yes the white square power adaptor has 110-240 input. It has the ability for the US plug to slide off. But with a small adaptor like Norris's that should be good. My camera battery chargers have 110-240 as well.

Here all this time I thought I need a converter.

Thanks

Edited by Colo Cruiser

As always, our Rome in Limo driver Alfredo was 15 minutes early but we were sitting outside waiting for him.

22078585742_edf331bf93_b.jpg[/url]

OFF WE GO!

I took some photos as we drove (what a surprise)

22136335545_00d5d7baf3_z.jpg

Castel sant Angelo along the banks of the Tiber river

21949422559_06bb45e083_z.jpg

Alfredo drives the E Class Mercedes. To get to the highway involves driving down some narrow roads where the traffic is slowed. Alfredo tells us that as it is a beautiful Saturday many Romans are heading to the beaches.

21948174810_600d01fbdf_z.jpg

Once we do get to the highway ramp we can make up for lost time. Soon we are sailing along the beautiful Italian countryside...albeit blurry.

Life in the fast lane

Thanks,

Keith I use a MacBook pro too. No converter needed.

Norris

We are relaxed as we stare out the window at the occasional rustic Itaian ochre colored farmhouse showing it's years in the sun. The first highway sign for

CIVITAVECCHIA

makes the pulse quicken.

although I don't have a shot of it, there is a hill you crest where in the distance you can see the harbor and that huge white ship sitting there waiting. MAGIC!!

We leave the highway and begin our descent to the town spread out below

Soon we are down at dock level

21515229443_ab2ae989fe_z.jpg

22123759732_55485ba69a_z.jpg

We pass through security and into a maze of dock roads. Alfredo knows where the pier is.

There's the ship!! cries Carol

"Naw, I think that must be the Caribbean Princess-people have been saying she's a rust bucket in need of dry dock" I replied.

We caught a glimpse of our big white ship

21513522244_589ffff7e3_z.jpg

• Like 1

Norris,

Thank you for posting so many beautiful shots of Rome. Your rooftop video brought tears to my eyes. I have visited Rome only twice, for day-long shore excursions, but it calls me back. Your photos are stunning!

Hi-thanks for commenting. Double thanks as you rarely post so I am glad you were moved by the beauty of Rome. I overuse the word Magical but it's the only one that fits-it's like a real Disneyworld that's been drawing visitors for over 2,000 years although some of them came with spears and weren't that friendly.

I would have to be drugged to get me back to a ship after a one day excursion.

The 2 days we had were NOT enough!! I feel your pain.

Stay with the story as it unfolds- I know it's a time suck but you'll see a lot of good stuff in that beautiful country as we sail up and down the coast.

Stay tuned!

Norris

Yes the white square power adaptor has 110-240 input. It has the ability for the US plug to slide off. But with a small adaptor like Norris's that should be good. My camera battery chargers have 110-240 as well.

Here all this time I thought I need a converter.

Thanks

A little warning.

Years ago when I worked in home care, I had a patient who used CPAP and took a trip to England. I explained what she needed to do when she got there, BUT the hotel staff loaned her an inverter (she decided they knew what to do, since they live there and I don't). The first night of her trip she destroyed her CPAP and it was a 2 week trip!!

If your equipment doesn't have 110/240 capability, be sure you know what to do before you get there.:D

Keith I use a MacBook pro too. No converter needed.

Norris

A little warning.

Years ago when I worked in home care, I had a patient who used CPAP and took a trip to England. I explained what she needed to do when she got there, BUT the hotel staff loaned her an inverter (she decided they knew what to do, since they live there and I don't). The first night of her trip she destroyed her CPAP and it was a 2 week trip!!

If your equipment doesn't have 110/240 capability, be sure you know what to do before you get there.:D

Got it thanks, sorry to hijack the thread. :o

Grand Class, with that beautiful extended bridge.

We thank and say goodbye to Alfredo as he heads back to Rome

While we waited outside for my post-drive smoke a transfer bus unloaded but it was early in the day-just turned noon and the ship boarded at 1 p.m.

We gave our luggage to a porter and handed him 5 Euros to keep the luggage dry.

There was security next in a separate hall from the luggage. No problem.

Health Questionnaire. Done.

There was only about 60 people checking in and a lot of Italian attendants. There was a separate line for Suites, Elites and Platinums and we had no one in front of us. Boom bang bing and we had our cruise cards and a warm welcome back from the young Italian supermodel behind the desk.

NOW THE SURPRISE

There was a ship's photographer plus backdrop a few feet away. Photo- and we are free to board the ship!!! Hooray!!! It's about 12.15. No waiting!!!

• Like 1

Got it thanks, sorry to hijack the thread. :o

No need to apologize Keith- you brought up a pertinent topic and helped others with the same question.

It's all good!

Norris

All I have to say. I feel like I am there. Someday again soon!

Thanks goinsoon! Welcome aboard.

Being "there" was pretty special and I hope I can convey that as we move along.

This review is for Me and Carol as a way to remember. It's for anyone who hasn't sailed on the Emerald Princess and for everyone who has. And of course it will introduce all the ports that were new to us to others who've never been.

The itinerary was the draw when we booked it-and it was a very wise choice.

Pop-in whenever you like.

Norris

I love this review. Hubby & I will sail on the Emerald (our 2nd time on this ship) on Nov 14, 2015. I especially loved your Pantheon photos shot from inside & looking out to the square.

Fantastico !! Can't wait for Florence.

Joanne

Thanks Joanne for the compliments and for following along.

Florence-wow. It will hit me again when I come to adjust the photos. I am tweaking the photos which were shot in auto which is a compromise setting for ease of use at the time. When I see the photos I'll really believe I was there. At the minute, in the real world where I have to wake at 5 a.m tomorrow to drive 80 miles in the dark for a dental appointment, it all is a foggy dream.

Luckily Carol keeps great notes and the photos are proof that I was lucky enough to be there. I'd seen it on Rick Steves shows but since then my feet have walked those streets.

I can't wait to share Florence.

I may still be writing his by Nov 14th. We are going away on a fall foliage drive next week to Northern Michigan and I'll lose three days of posting.

Thanks again,

Norris

I may still be writing his by Nov 14th. We are going away on a fall foliage drive next week to Northern Michigan and I'll lose three days of posting.

Thanks again,

Norris

Norris, Enjoying your review and your pictures are bringing back fond memories of our cruise a couple of years ago.

Where in Northern Michigan are you heading? Some great breweries and wineries up here!

Tim

Norris, Enjoying your review and your pictures are bringing back fond memories of our cruise a couple of years ago.

Where in Northern Michigan are you heading? Some great breweries and wineries up here!

Tim

Hi, Tim.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the review. Thanks for saying so.

We are going up to Mission Peninsula, just North of Traverse City to stay in a winery called Chateau Chantal. We are dining at a couple of our favorite spots-The Boathouse on the peninsula and in TC the excellent Cooks Kitchen.

We did the same trip last year.

Normally in October we have gone all the way up into Ontario but that takes too long and we recently left the cats alone for two weeks so a short trip is the thing to do.

Norris

Normally in October we have gone all the way up into Ontario but that takes too long and we recently left the cats alone for two weeks so a short trip is the thing to do.

Norris

Its funny, no matter what you say to them they still get depressed that you are leaving even though you have assured them that you will be back. Ours get really upset whenever they see that the suitcases have been broken out and are being packed. :eek:

Is there anything as easy and well organized than boarding a Princess ship?

Up the gangway with our carry on bags. Card scanned by security and a photo taken with the same scanner. A greeting from a member of the cruise staff who is handing our the Scavenger Hunt cards which we always decline.

No waiting for an hour or more for the rooms to be declared ready as on some other lines.

Up to deck 10 Caribe where there is another staff member to offer guidance but we know where we are going. Port side aft, look for red bordered carpet. See our door in the distance. Pick up a Patter on the way in. There is already mail and our excursion tickets on the desk and a welcome aboard message on the phone reminding us to choose Crown Grill or Sabatini's for our complimentary first night dinner.

Drop our bags and Carol insists I take photos before we mess up the room.

22163932742_51df7561f2_b.jpg[/url]

22150420606_0e1ce58472_b.jpg

21988791348_b78e752211_b.jpg

21553794684_88c684b530_b.jpg

Next the bathroom(s)

• Like 1