Debarking in Miami - Time it takes to get through US Customs

ShopperfiendTO

Colour me confused. Did you have to go through US Customs and Immigration twice, once in Key West, the first US port you reach, and then again when debarking in Miami?:confused:

No - two different cruises: You have to clear Immigration on your first US port of call - in one case this was Key West. Customs you clear when you disembark - so after Key West on that particular cruise it was Miami.

On another cruise we arrived (first US port) in Miami and cleared both Immigration AND Customs there...

Just saw the bit about MIA airport -- last April when we arrived from Switzerland in MIA we were introduced to the "kiosks". Very simple process - scan your passport, take your fingerprints and voilà! You get a receipt allowing you to by-pass the actual Immigration inspector. However in our case - I (the Swiss) got my receipt and my husband (the american - who is also Swiss but was travelling on his US passport...) got a receipt with a big X on it. Which meant he (he!!) had to see a real live Immigration official. I just stood next to him and watched... Anyway the kiosks were a real improvement on the old "2 hours in a queue" system...

Do not know much about the port, but the airport (MIA) is like a 3rd. world country. Try to find anyone who speaks English. Good luck. Try to avoid it as much as possible. Ft. Lauderdale is much better even though a little longer from the port. :):)

Do not know much about the port, but the airport (MIA) is like a 3rd. world country.

it may depend on the airline & where you are flying to

Never had a problem with A/C flights to YYZ

no lines when we have arrived

it may depend on the airline & where you are flying to

Never had a problem with A/C flights to YYZ

no lines when we have arrived

In the case in question - MIA (Miami) - IF you arrive in the area that American Airlines and British Airways uses it is pure hell. On the other hand in the other Customs/arrival area - used by Swiss and I do not know which other airlines - it is reasonably civlized. Same goes for check in...

In the case in question - MIA (Miami) - IF you arrive in the area that American Airlines and British Airways uses it is pure hell. On the other hand in the other Customs/arrival area - used by Swiss and I do not know which other airlines - it is reasonably civlized. Same goes for check in...

On an outbound flight to Canada with AC the area was calm & no lines

We clear immigration/customs in Toronto for flights to the USA so when arriving in the US airports we just get our bags and go

different rules for other Countries

Since SHOPPERFIENDTO is from Canada my answers were directed to those also from Canada as with most threads they go off the rails at some point

On an outbound flight to Canada with AC the area was calm & no lines

We clear immigration/customs in Toronto for flights to the USA so when arriving in the US airports we just get our bags and go

different rules for other Countries

Since SHOPPERFIENDTO is from Canada my answers were directed to those also from Canada as with most threads they go off the rails at some point

We just need to clear at the port and go home. Hoping that will not take too long.

In addition to clearing non-US Citizens. All of the luggage must be unloaded before the ship is cleared to disembark. This applies even to those doing carry off. This year we were not cleared until 9am. By 0915 we were in our car.

Happened to us inAugust on Regatta in SanFran we were tied up by 0630...but they wouldn't clear as you say all bags off whichwas 0830... so its states wide

When we debarked two years ago, we got off the ship, claimed our luggage, went though passport clearing/initial customs and then because we did declare purchases, we were sent to a separate area in the luggage area where we had to show our purchases and the receipt and pay duty.

We were outside the terminal before 9 am. There were 4-5 gigantic ships at the same time and the taxi line outrageous. We were lucky we had a good porter who helped with luggage. We were onboard 28 days and had 4 suitcases. He got us on a shuttle for $20 with our bags. We were lucky we had TSA precheck because the lines were at least an hour to go through TSA. I would be afraid to book a flight before noon. I'd rather wait at the airport than sweat missing a flight these days.