Blood test while on Explorer?

toddthecow

I am leaving Sunday for my cruise on Explorer and will need a "PT/INR" blood test during the week. I will have a written order from my doctor and was wondering if they are able to do that test in the infirmary? I know that the infirmaries are typically prepared to handle most situations, but was not quite sure about this one. I am willing to call RCCL to find out, but am not sure who to call that would know.

Any suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

Tracey

Tracey, I would say no. I have to take my Mom monthly to do that also I would suggest going to your Dr right before you leave. I don't see what the harm would be, at least you would know where you are at before you leave.

My daughter started wheezing on the Mariner, a few weeks back. I was amazed and impressed with the large and high tech medical facility. Both doctors and all of the RNs were incredible. They were very good with my daughter. They treated her so well, and kept her from getting really sick. I felt that we were in great hands, for our minor situation as well as for a major emergency. They had a lab, xray, procedure room, etc. It looked like a major US city ER. It's not a bad idea to call RCCL, but I bet they can do your PT blood test.

A "PT/INR" measures the clotting capability of the blood. It is the test that's done when you take the medicine coumadin.......a blood thinner. Based upon the result, a physician can determine if the dose of coumadin is too high, too low or just right.

Please call RCCL to find out the answer to this question. Make sure you know before you board. I took this off the RCCL website.

If you have another type of medical condition that has not been mentioned, please inquire about policies and procedures that may affect your cruise. Call us at (800) 722-5472 x34492 (voice/TDD), send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com, or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us.

Here is the page.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/home.do;jsessionid=0000AwiMo8Rks_11MIOBC_n75n7:10ktmf1jr

I would think that they can do a PT/INR. They are prepared to treat heart attacks aboard and have clot busters (ie. streptokinase). Since this needs to be followed up with heparin I can't imagine that they would not be able to monitor clotting times.

Calling RCI will probably not get you the answer. However, they may give you the name and number of the company that they contract their medical services out to and they may tell you. Your other option is to get the ship to shore number for Explorer and ask to be connected to the medical facility. They will give you the straight answer.

I am an RN and yes, you can have it done before sailing. It only makes sense, and you would not have to worry about it until you return. Most people only have it done monthly, few are weekly, but not critical to be weekly.

They do make a monitor that tests PT/INR with a finger stick just like doing a blood glucose test with a drop of blood for diabetic testing. They are very accurate and are used in a number of health care facilities because they are so easy and accurate. You can get information at:

http://www.hometestmed.com 1-800-298-4515

I have no idea what they cost.

This is a question you should be asking your own physician. Should you have it done before you leave or should you do it while you are on the ship? It all depends on your history - how long you have been on the anticoagulants, how stable you are....reason for being on the drug etc. You should not be making this decsion on your own.

What are your plans once you get the results? You shouldn't have the cruise physician adjust your medication unless your doc thinks it would be ok. It's best to have a health care professional who knows you and your complete history make an adjustment for such an important medication.

I am sure they do coagulation studies in their lab rather frequently - but you will be paying a lot of money for a medical visit.

Again....get some advice.

I spoke to someone in special accomodation services today and they indeed can and will do a PT/INR.

It would be great if I could have it done on Friday and then right when I get home, but that's not an option.

I had a PT/INR done on Monday and the level was too high. I was instructed to skip my doses on Monday and Tuesday night, then restart the coumadin at a lower dose for Wednesday. If I have the level rechecked on Friday, the number will not truly represent my PT/INR for the entire next week. I will again take the lower dose on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. On Monday, I need a repeat PT/INR.

I will send my physician a fax (through efax) with the result and she will fax (again through efax) or email me her recommendation for dosing.

I understand and am willing to pay the cost of getting medical care on the ship and plan to submit my bill to my travel insurance company once home. If they pay the claim.....great, if not....so be it.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's suggestions on this issue.

Tracey

Seriously, as good as the ship med services may be, they are the option of last resort. I would not rely on RCI for the answer to your question, I would talk to your physician and schedule your test at an appropriate time and place at home. If you get hurt while at sea, you have no choice but to use the services on the ship. You have a choice, do it at your docs place.

I will send my physician a fax (through efax) with the result and she will fax (again through efax) or email me her recommendation for dosing.

Tracey

I hope you are taking your own laptop to receive/send your fax thru efax as the computers onboard will NOT allow you to download the fax. I use efax for my business and learned this the hard way........

One other note, regarding your blood test. It is best to have this arranged PRIOR to you cruise, thru the special services department. They will contact the ship's med center with the orders from your doctor.

Sarcasm? If so, please cite your rationale for believing that folks on this board know more about blood tests given on board than the company.

Where did I say that folks on this board know more about blood tests than the company?????? I suggested calling the medical facility on the ship. Who, exactly, do YOU think will know more than THEY do?

And for the record, I've received incorrect info from RCI on several occasions on various matters. So there is my rationale. I don't need to site anything else. I have personal experience to go by. RCI does not necessarily have the definitive answer on anything.

And by the way, what is your opinion of what these boards exist for? I've noticed your response on a couple of threads is "Why are you asking the question here? Call RCI for the definitive answer." Well, why bother asking anything here? Why not go right to the source? The answer is because folks want to see what others who post here have to say. Period. :rolleyes:

Sarcasm? If so, please cite your rationale for believing that folks on this board know more about blood tests given on board than the company.

Rationale would be that no two people at RCI give the same answer to a question asked exactly the same way. Asking RCI may be as unreliable as asking strangers on these forums.

OTOH, a PT/INR is a pretty basic test which generally results out in as little as 15 minutes. It would be hard for me to believe that any facility on a modern cruise ship wouldn't be able to do this test. Especially with elderly cruisers, many of whom I'm sure are on anticoagulant type drugs such as Coumadin.

I don't think the only question is IF they can do the test...but rather WILL they do it and if so .......well then who interprets the results and what will be done about it.

Clearly the OP's levels are not stable right now....eventually they might be and this will all be routine. Coumadin levels are very important. Because many people take this medication we take it all for granted. Too much can cause a life threatening bleed...and too little can increase your risk of Stroke or Heart Attack.

The ONLY answer is for the OP's physician to decide when this should be done...and then a call should be put thru to RCL and the discussion must include the fax situation. GET NAMES and TITLES when you speak with someone.

The next order of business is to wish this person health and a wonderful trip.

Some of your suggestions have been really helpful.......thank you!

The person I spoke to at RCCL had the infirmary of EOS on the phone along with me through a conference call. They verified the ability to do the test with a written order from my personal physician and release the results to me or directly fas them to her.

My plan is to use the efax system through my laptop, but if that doesn't work, I will call or email a family member at home that will contact my personal doctor.

Archived