Allure of the Seas transatlantic from Rome, October 22 to November 6, 2015

rafinmd

Hi I am on the cruise too, it seems that maybe they are short staffed due to the change from Europe to the Carribean, service for breakfast and lunch has been glacial at bezt sitting at lunch I hear people around me complain about not getting food our wate glasses have not been refilled once. Other people never got their ice tea or even their food. They just left they were in the dining room for 45 minutes the same as us. We ordered hot tea and have not seen it we ordered it when we sat down did not get it when food was delivered or by now 50 minutes after sitting down no one has come by to clear plates or to ask about dessert. Breakfast on the main dining room has been the same.

Hi I am on the cruise too, it seems that maybe they are short staffed due to the change from Europe to the Carribean, service for breakfast and lunch has been glacial at bezt sitting at lunch I hear people around me complain about not getting food our wate glasses have not been refilled once. Other people never got their ice tea or even their food. They just left they were in the dining room for 45 minutes the same as us. We ordered hot tea and have not seen it we ordered it when we sat down did not get it when food was delivered or by now 50 minutes after sitting down no one has come by to clear plates or to ask about dessert. Breakfast on the main dining room has been the same.

I'm sorry that's happened to you. I generally only visit the MDR for dinner, and had my breakfast this morning at Johnny Rockets. The service was fine there.

Roy

Thank you Setting sail for fun, Cruisin' Again 86, mswildeye, countess5, St. Pete Cruiser, redcrown, and Cruisincricket. Crusincricket, thank you for following up on Ana; it sounds like she is not currently on board so I'm not sure what I could have done. mswildeye, I highly recommend a TA. In fact, while the first on RCI, this is my 21st overall. You can be assured I love them.

St. Pete Cruiser, I'm no expert on what would happen with a mechanical failure but I would guess it would call for a number of tugs. I suspect that, especially after a recent drydock, any lessons learned from the the Carnival Triumph have been fully implemented on the Allure, I would also guess that the ship, being hydrodynamically intact would be an easier tow than was the Costa Concordia and towing while slow would be possible.

I am still discovering new things about the ship but pretty comfortable now in knowing my way around. I'm a believer in something Colonel Potter once said on MASH, "If you're not where you are you're nowhere"', and I'll hold off on comparisons until after the cruise. Let's just say I booked this expecting that this is something I would want to do once and I am still happy with that initial assessment. The ship is not me but I am immensely enjoying the moment and there is nowhere else I would want to be right now. I'll have comparisons later and will probably find a way to post them on the HAL forum as well.

When I was in the theater for the lecture, there were a lot of thuds and bumps as waves hit the ship.

attachment.php?attachmentid=366710

The wind was howling through Central Park even though it's fully enclosed by walls going up at least 5 decks.

Roy

I see that you are from Central Maryland, what part ? We live in Westminster...

I see that you are from Central Maryland' date=' what part ? We live in Westminster...[/quote']

Hi, neighbor. I'm physically in Columbia although my mailing address is Clarksville.

By the way, my first RCI cruise was in 2011. Can you fill me in on when Grandeur's first run in Baltimore for was?

Roy

I'm a believer in something Colonel Potter once said on MASH, "If you're not where you are you're nowhere"', and I'll hold off on comparisons until after the cruise. Let's just say I booked this expecting that this is something I would want to do once and I am still happy with that initial assessment. The ship is not me but I am immensely enjoying the moment and there is nowhere else I would want to be right now.

I've felt that way about all my travel over the years (land and sea) - being in the moment and enjoying what that particular travel experience offers.

I have always found that every cruise is an experience and they all hold their own treasures. You always find some things on each that you like or not and compare them to others.

We all have our favorites, but exploring to me is what it is all about. The itineraries, people and staff vary and that is What makes it fun.

Reading cruise critic and having people post their experiences and opinions helps me learn and desire to try other adventures. :D 🚣

Even though we have sailed Allure before and will again in January, thanks refinmd for bringing us your adventures!

Sail on! :)

Well stated!

Roy,

I'm sailing on 11/15.

If possible, could you take a picture of the menu(s) at 150 Central Park? And if I may be so bold....if you get a chance, can you ask if those are the menus being offered on The Caribbean Cruises?

Thank you in advance.

Enjoying your review!

Thanks, SteelMagnolia9, Setting sail for fun, Cruisin' Again 86, BND, and eileen226. I have the menu and will post it later. I may not ask; the description indicates to me that it will not change.

Our break from the weather was only one day. When I started my walk about 5:30am there was a strong headwind as I walked towards the aft of the ship indicating a very strong tail wind on the ship. It also seemed to be drizzling at times on the walk although it could have been spray.

I returned to my room about 7:30. Sunrise was 7:50 but I got confused by our westward travel and time change and started looking for it after 8. At that time the sun was peeking through a thin piece of the clouds and the photo from my balcony actually looked a bit better than the real life version.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/dawn1030.jpg

I went down to Johnny Rockets for french toast and found it quite good. The weather was still threatening and I had a fairly open table but the weather held off long enough for me to finish. I also splurged on a Key Lime donut from Boardwalk donuts–very tasty. As I passed Boleros on the way to Johnny Rockets a Tai Chi class was in full swing in Boleros, a reminder that there is a lot going on on the ship that is important to somebody if not to me.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/taichi.jpg

As I was heading down to David Kirkpatrick’s lecture Captain Johnny came on the PA and announced there would be a fire drill for the crew. During the lecture (How Saturday Night Fever Changed Culture) the emergency signal was sounded. We did not hear the accompanying announcements and I could have been concerned except that the theater is a muster area and I was confident we would have known if there was an emergency. Toward the end of the lecture an “abandon ship” was called and a number of crew were stationed in life jackets as we left the theater.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/crewdrill.jpg

As the day morning the winds grew to about 100 kph and a lot of thumps and bangs were in evidence in the theater. Outside deck 16 was closed off most or all of the day and the bridge cam gave striking evidence of how choppy the seas were.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/choppy.jpg

At noon Captain Johnny reported things would get better in the next day or 2 but we were fortunate we were not sailing from Southampton like the “other ship” (Anthem OTS). At noon we were about 300 miles south of Porto Delagdo, I expect the closest we’ll be to land for a few days. The afternoon is a blur, it went quickly but can’t remember exactly what I did.

I have a strange tradition on cruise ships. I generally do not use elevators but when I board a new ship I will make one ceremonial ride on each elevator down from the top level to the bottom. This was the middle formal night on the cruise and at dinner time I walked up to deck 17 (by the suite lounge) and took the elevator down, and noticed something a bit strange. Up by the suite lounge everybody was dressed formally, but when I got to the dining room probably 60% were dressed quite casually. I haven’t quite figured that one out yet.

The rough seas took a toll on dinner. I was the only one present at table 937. The daughter of the couple at the adjoining table was also under the weather, and they invited me to join them. I enjoyed a very pleasant meal with that Texas family.

My evening entertainment was singer and guitarist Benn Mills. He sings in a style reminiscent of Rod Stewart. Something I haven’t seen previously on cruises, we still have 5 hours to gain before Ft. Lauderdale and we will set the clocks back every night EXCEPT formal nights. Most of the time, formal nights seem to be prime choices either to set the clock back or refrain from setting it forward. In any case, I was in bed fairly soon after the show.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/mills.jpg

Today’s parting shot is simple. Have a safe and happy Halloween.

Roy

Thank you Roy for your daily reports....

If you can.... would you mind checking at the Adventure Ocean what the kids programme is for Halloween? Is there an Halloween night party scheduled (Either for kids or adults) for tonight?

Do you think people will dress up?

Thank you, have a nice day!!

Btw... how is the water doing today? [emoji4]

Saskia

Inviato dal mio SM-J100H utilizzando Tapatalk

Saskia, I won't list them here but there are a lot of Halloween events and I'll point you to the last page of the Compass:

http://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/compass1031.pdf

I didn't see anything specific to kids (They may want to share that info only with people who have a legitimate interest in it) but there are something like 150 kids on board so I bet they are doing some really special things. I'm an early bird and won't be much involved but if our roll call is any indication I expect a LOT of people to dress up.

The seas are still pretty choppy but the wind has subsided. Should be calmer tomorrow.

Eileen226, I've posted the menus for 150 Central Park. There are 2 different menus based on the day of the week. I will try to add more specialty restaurant menus as time permits. Right now these menus are at the bottom of the menus page:

Allure of the Seas Transatlantic menus

Cruise Compasses, Allure of the Seas TA from Rome

saskiapaci, I did find a couple of Compasses at Guest Relations this morning, a sample kids Compass for today and a teen Compass for days 1-6 (ending 10/30). I'll wait a few days and see if the one for the second half of the cruise becomes available, and I'll post kids Compasses in a few days. I pooped out and did not see any of the Halloween Celebrations but my roll call is still active and a couple of members did post photos:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2249315&page=133

I was on the jogging track around 5:30. When I went down, both of the starboard doors were sealed but the port doors were open. When I walked out the forward port door there was a gate across the track just to my right. I figured the bow was closed off and started out to find out how far I could go. As it turned out that was the only obstruction and the track was open all the way around the ship. Some people were vaulting or stepping over the gate while others were getting to the gate and making a U-turn. I tried stepping over the gate a time or 2 but found it very awkward, and started doing a lap from the gate to the gate, then turning around and doing a lap the other way. Finally, around lap 8, the gate was removed but the port doors were still sealed for another hour or so, even though there was minimal wind. Aft starboard on the jogging track there is a pet relief area. It seems to be a fertile habitat for crickets as I hear them chirping away every morning.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/blocked1.jpg

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/blocked2.jpg

The WJ has not had prunes for a couple of days, so I went down and got them in the MDR. I’ve heard reports of poor service for MDR breakfast but it was fine for me. I also got an omelet at Wipeout Café. I had hoped to watch the sunrise from around the flowriders but it was secured by a band of low crowds. As I was waiting for my omelet I saw the sun reflected in the plexiglass and went back for a quick look.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/dawn1031.jpg

David Kirkpatrick’s topic this morning was Happy Endings. As of noon we are quite far from any land (except straight down). Captain Johnny mentioned that we had had quite a bit of spray on the decks and needed a thorough washing (I saw that on my Sunday walk).

When I was on the Grandeur in March, Derek Conlon was at the piano in the Schooner Bar. He is also on this crossing but I haven’t worked him into the schedule so far. He was playing in the Royal Promenade at noon so I went back to Sorrentos for lunch to hear him play some.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/conlon.jpg

I worked on some photos in the afternoon. I had hoped to do it from my balcony but the sun was out and there was just too much light to see the screen well. Up on deck the warmer sunny weather had started to fill a significant number of pool chairs.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/pooldk1031.jpg

We were back to 3 at table 937; tablemates have reported seeing the Scotsman still wearing his arm sling. I hope he improves soon, there’s only so much you can enjoy eating one handed.

I’m definitely an early morning and not a night owl. After dinner I joined a Cruise Critic HAL group of sailaway addicts watching the Westerdam, Oasis OTS and 2 other ships leaving Port Everglades, I had hoped to get out for a bit of the Halloween festivities but dozed off instead. I certainly welcome the extra hours we get most nights for the rest of the crossing but still poop out quickly at night. I did see a few costumes at happy hour and in the dining room.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/prehalloween.jpg.

Today’s parting shot is a simple reminder that I got from our fire department email system. This is the weekend, when you change your clocks, change your smoke alarm batteries.

Roy

Roy,

I am on the November 8th Allure sailing and just called C&A for my dining preference for the Grande, deck 4 since we are D+. I was told that Allure did not get the changes in the MDR to the the levels of Silk, deck 5, Grande, deck 4, and Americaon Icon, deck 3. She told me that only the Quantum classes have those. I saw on the Cruise Compass you posted that the dining rooms were listed with their new names. Help! Were they changed?

Jean

Apparently you are on the cruise with this person who thinks that her deaf friend is being treated like a second class citizen:

I've seen that people have linked her phone numbers and emails for royal carribbean is there like a super phone number that's not listed on their website?

Jean, it sounds like your C&A rep is seriously mistaken. Those names have been on everything I've seen on the ship. I'm a bit puzzled though; whatever the names are they should honor your request to be at the seating of your choice on deck 4. I will try to post photographs of the dining room entrances tonight as additional backup. I probably won't post them until tomorrow though as tonight's show is something I REALLY want to see.

Roy

mariemorgan, that is an interesting article but I know of any special contacts with RCI. Did she use a travel agent. They might be able to find an appropriate contact although I think there a limit to what can be changed in the middle of the ocean. countess5, that is always something sad to see.

Roy

Restaurant entrances-click on images for larger views):

Deck 3:

[ATTACH]367099[/ATTACH]

Deck 4:

[ATTACH]367100[/ATTACH]

Deck 5:

[ATTACH]367101[/ATTACH]

From deck plan in elevator:

[ATTACH]367102[/ATTACH]

Roy

Roy,

Thank! You helped me convince Crown & Anchor that there are really 3 separate dining rooms on Allure and to place my dining request for the Grande, deck 4.

Jean

Thank you for the good news, Jean.

It was kind of a sloppy walk this morning as the crew was on the jogging track thoroughly washing away the salt spray from the last few days. Otherwise, the walk was good with a steady ship and little wind.

Sunrise was about 7:55 and I went up by the flowriders to watch. It was another subdued one with just a silver of the sun through a small break in the clouds ringing the horizon.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/dawn1101.jpg

David Kirkpatrick had the day off as the Amber Theater became a church on Sunday morning with a 9AM mass and 10:30 interdenominational service. Father Bryan spoke from a strongly Catholic point of view with full empathy for his interdenominational congregation. The service centered largely on Halloween’s origins as the eve of All Saints Day

Captain Johnny gave his update a little before noon. Conditions look good for the rest of the voyage and we are about halfway through our crossing. Wipeout Café was closed (perhaps for a kids lunch?), and I tried the Coney Island Dog at Boardwalk Dogs. It was ok but I won’t be returning.

I dropped in on the afternoon Karaoke in “On Air” for about an hour. My erstwhile tablemate John is a very good singer. His arm was no longer in a sling but he was moving very gingerly. Sadly, it was still just the 3 usuals at dinner.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/karaoke.jpg

The evening entertainment in the theater was a somewhat lost favorite of mine. Karen Grainger had about a 30-month run on the Crystal Symphony and I enjoyed her show several times. She is a “female impressionist”, singing in the styles of many singers, often wearing wigs to make the effect stronger. “Female impressionist” is not quite accurate as she does impressions of a number of male singers as well. In a twist I haven’t seen before she came out as Cher and started with “Hi, this is Cher, and Karen Grainger asked me to open for her. I was available so here I am. She went on to do impressions which included Celene Dion, a duet between Aaron Neville and Linda Ronstadt, Edith Bunker, Annie Lennox, Mariah Carey, Alanis Morisette, Sinead O’Connor, Tina Turner, Whitney Houston, and another duet, Patti Labelle and Michael McDonald in “On My Own”. For the duets she sang one part facing right, then turned around to face her imaginary partner, often several times in a matter of seconds. My duet photos are a collage of her in the different “voices” taken a few seconds apart. I think “On My Own” pretty well brought the house down.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/cher.jpg

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/dion.jpg

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/duet1.jpg

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/carey.jpg

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/houston.jpg

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/duet2.jpg

Today’s parting shot comes from Father Bryan. He was talking about Saints and related an experience while he was still a theological student. Mother Theresa had just died and there was talk about making her a Saint. He spoke approvingly of a colleague who chimed in “I hope not. If she becomes a Saint instead of a normal person it will give others an excuse not to try to emulate her. Father Bryan and I would disagree on many theological matters but here I like the way he is thinking.

Roy

Roy,

I'm sailing on 11/15.

If possible, could you take a picture of the menu(s) at 150 Central Park? And if I may be so bold....if you get a chance, can you ask if those are the menus being offered on The Caribbean Cruises?

Thank you in advance.

Enjoying your review!

Eileen, I got a chance to stop by after dinner. The menu is seasonal and will start the Caribbean Season but will change late this month.

Roy

It was pretty much a picture perfect day at sea. It was still about a half hour before sunrise when I completed my 5-mile walk. There were low clouds near the horizon but I still got quite a nice sunrise from my balcony.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/dawn1102.jpg

David Kirkpatrick’s topic today was “What Makes A Star”. Captain Johnny gave his update a little before noon predicting good conditions for the rest of the voyage. At noon we were about 750 miles southwest of Bermuda approaching the so-called Bermuda Triangle. I decided on lunch in the main dining room (American Icon on deck 3). The salad entre was fine as was the company of fellow cruisers from Sweden and Texas and the service.

Karen Grainger’s matinee had a smaller but very enthusiastic audience.

We had the usual 3 at dinner. Blue Planet was presented in the Amber Theater. I am booked for Tuesday. I had hoped to stop at the Schooner Bar but dozed off and missed it. When I returned from dinner there was a nice certificate on my bed commemorating the crossing.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/crossing.jpg

As today’s parting shot I don’t get a lot of news on the crossing. Congratulations to the World Champion Kansas City Royals.

Roy