Beer Packages

cabinluvn

We just looked at what beer packages might be available to have delivered to our room at embarkation. Not the best to choose from, but the prices for a 6 pack are outrageous. The last time we sailed, I think a bucket of 6 beers was in the range of $20, then tax and gratuity was added. Is it possible to bring your own beer on board?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We just looked at what beer packages might be available to have delivered to our room at embarkation. Not the best to choose from, but the prices for a 6 pack are outrageous. The last time we sailed, I think a bucket of 6 beers was in the range of $20, then tax and gratuity was added. Is it possible to bring your own beer on board?

No.

You can not bring on hard alcohol or beer onto any HAL ship.

You are permitted to bring on one 750 ml per adult (21 or older) of wine without being charged a corkage fee if you consume it in your cabin. If you take that bottle of wine to the dining room or bar/lounge, you will be charged $18 corkage fee per bottle.

I see that now the charge is $28.75 for a bucket of beer pre-delivered. That is up from what it used to be. My suggestion would be not to order in advance and upon boarding stop at one of the bars and get a bucket of beer. You can then take it back to your stateroom. Just make certain that if you are getting beer that requires an opener that you bring your own. Your stateroom steward can always get you one but he/she will be pretty darn busy at embarkation time.

I think a bucket of 6 beers was in the range of $20, then tax and gratuity was added. Is it possible to bring your own beer on board?

The prices quoted when pre-ordering include the 15% service charge, so the $28.75 shown is the same as $25 on board. There shouldn't be any tax if you request "delivery at sea", and it will usually be in your cabin when you board anyway.

Edited by catl331

You could try ordering a bucket of beer at Happy Hour and get a second bucket of beer for $1 more. It was reported in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2225912&highlight=bucket+of+beer+happy+hour that it can be done. (it's a long thread but look for the red highlighted words: bucket, beer, happy, hour. Sorry about the red highlighted "of".)

We won't be trying it until late April so please report back if you were successful or not.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

The price online for pre ordering was $32.50! Not sure where you found the $28.i thought that if they allowed two bottles of wine, they would allow some beer. I don't want it for the day we sail, I just want a supply while we are sailing to drink on the verandah. We are in a Neptune, so I suppose they could bring us a bucket of beer when we want it. We are already planning on bringing aboard one bottle each of wine for the room. I just thought it walls be nice to have the fridge stocked before we boarded. Guess I will wait

Edited by cabinluvn

The price online for pre ordering was $32.50! Not sure where you found the $28.
I see domestic (Bud, Bud Lt, Miller Lt, Miller GD) for $28.75, and imported (Heinekin, Amstel, Corona) for $32.50

I just thought it walls be nice to have the fridge stocked before we boarded.
There should be a couple of beers in the cooler when you board.

Edited by jtl513

No such thing as buy one bucket and get one free. Happy Hour is usually Crows Nest, Ocean Bar, and Mix if on the ship. It's buy one drink get the 2nd for a dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you check out the link I provided earlier, people reported that they have done it (not for free but for the additional dollar). I, too, find it hard to believe (too good to be true) but the one person says she's done it for eight cruises. I'll try it on my next cruise. Worst they could do is say no.

If you check out the link I provided earlier, people reported that they have done it (not for free but for the additional dollar). I, too, find it hard to believe (too good to be true) but the one person says she's done it for eight cruises. I'll try it on my next cruise. Worst they could do is say no.

I've heard of people doing it as well. I was just surprised because the limit for drinks at Happy Hour was $6.95 (now $7.50, I think.) It seemed odd that you could get a bucket + a buck bucket since the bucket price is much higher than the drink limit price.

Worst case scenario, you can buy a bunch of beer where every other one is a dollar. Just order them unopened, and you will have a decent supply of room sodas. You'll be given a handy tote bag to carry them. It'll be on your bed, typically on Day 2 of your trip.

I've heard of people doing it as well. I was just surprised because the limit for drinks at Happy Hour was $6.95 (now $7.50, I think.) It seemed odd that you could get a bucket + a buck bucket since the bucket price is much higher than the drink limit price.

Worst case scenario, you can buy a bunch of beer where every other one is a dollar. Just order them unopened, and you will have a decent supply of room sodas. You'll be given a handy tote bag to carry them. It'll be on your bed, typically on Day 2 of your trip.

Good idea. I have lots of tote bags (we have five sea days before the first port); I usually keep one in my suitcase just in case. I'm actually not the beer drinker; it's DM!!! That little old lady loves her beer! I'm just the pack horse who gets to carry her icy cold bucket(s) of beer back to the cabin to put in the fridge!! Two buckets will probably do her for the whole cruise!:D

You could try ordering a bucket of beer at Happy Hour and get a second bucket of beer for $1 more. It was reported in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2225912&highlight=bucket+of+beer+happy+hour that it can be done. (it's a long thread but look for the red highlighted words: bucket, beer, happy, hour. Sorry about the red highlighted "of".)

We won't be trying it until late April so please report back if you were successful or not.

This is not right,the deal is one extra bottle. 5 for price of 4

We got the deal on sail away on the Noordam and another time later in crows nest, same deal.

This is not right,the deal is one extra bottle. 5 for price of 4

We got the deal on sail away on the Noordam and another time later in crows nest, same deal.

And that's why I posted the link to the thread where some had stated that they did receive a second bucket of beer for the additional $1. It's worth a try. If it doesn't work, there are alternatives such as what POA mentioned, which is less expensive than 5 bottles for the price of 4.

So, it isn't just over happy hour?

No, I think that the bucket of beer is available all the time, everywhere on the ship except room service.