Last Cruise Of The Season

Saphire

As far as any possible negatives for the cruise itself, I think FIRST of the season cruises when a ship returns to the US from overseas may be more problematic.

Sometimes there are embarkation delays due to Coast Guard and CDC inspections when the ships arrive back.

Also can be large crew turn overs as the ship begins a new season.

The LAST sailing should be less of a concern. Enjoy!

It could be a problem, depending on what itinerary follows. My sister and I did a short Pacific Northwest cruise, and the next cruise was a 60-day Asian cruise. Service levels were definitely off, as the crew seemed to be preoccupied with getting ready for the passengers boarding for the long cruise. It did not leave my sister with a good impression of HAL.

Roz

We were on the Veendam a few years ago on a last Caribbean season cruise before she went Transatlantic for the European summer season. Our impression was that many of the crew were preoccupied about the upcoming repositioning. Interestingly there had been a significant turnover in wait staff and many asked us if we'd taken a Transatlantic cruise and if so what was it like. The other issue seem to be that they were preparing for a major reprovisioning for the next cruise and the ship was low on all sorts of supplies from butter to lemons to just things you'd consider standard supplies. We thought it was particularly interesting that meatloaf was a main menu choice three nights out of the last six or seven nights of our 14-day cruise. I can't or won't say that's typical of last of the season cruises but we kind of put those in the same "be careful bucket" with last cruises before and first cruises after dry dock.

Randy,

Interesting that you had the same experience as my sister and I. When I reported it here on Cruise Critic, I was mildly blasted :D and told our expectations were too high. Just because a cruise is only 4 days is no excuse for poor or inattentive service. Our tablemates had never sailed HAL, and they were using the cruise as an intro to HAL. All 4 of them were left with a less than favorable impression, and said they would only book a longer cruise with HAL if the price was deeply discounted. As they say, you only have one opportunity to make a good first impression.

Roz

Edited by Roz

Randy,

Interesting that you had the same experience as my sister and I. When I reported it here on Cruise Critic, I was mildly blasted :D and told our expectations were too high. Just because a cruise is only 4 days is no excuse for poor or inattentive service. Our tablemates had never sailed HAL, and they were using the cruise as an intro to HAL. All 4 of them were left with a less than favorable impression, and said they would only book a longer cruise with HAL if the price was deeply discounted. As they say, you only have one opportunity to make a good first impression.

Roz

I have also found the service levels on the short Pacific Coastal repositioning cruises to be below those we find on longer HAL cruises. I figure it is due to the crew not being in a "normal routine".

Dave,

As you're aware, I've taken several of those Coastals. After that first one, I've had to adjust my expectations. Too bad HAL misses the opportunity to pick up new customers, as I've met quite a few "locals" who do those cruises.

Roz

P.S. To the OP, hope we didn't highjack your thread. :D

Edited by Roz