Gem - secrets, tips and things to know

heatheranderson13

We were just on the Gem to Canada October 3rd to the 10th. The entertainment was good all week on the 6th floor area but on the last night of the cruise they all got together for a jam session which was a group of musicians, crew members, and even some guests playing requests and favorites. It was a great show and surprise.

Is there an especially awesome bartender or waiter we should look for? (Understanding they do change from time to time...)

Or freebies only seasoned gem cruisers would know about? (On carnival, for example, you can get a free deck of cards at guest services if you ask...)

I do like to mojito bar tip!

Is there an especially awesome bartender or waiter we should look for? (Understanding they do change from time to time...)

Or freebies only seasoned gem cruisers would know about? (On carnival, for example, you can get a free deck of cards at guest services if you ask...)

I do like to mojito bar tip!

Look for Caesar at the Great Outdoors bar. He's very entertaining to watch.

Let's hear some more Gem tips. I'm gonna be a PITA until my January Gem cruise, so you all might as well start posting up them tips! :D:D:D

Bryan, my daughter and her best friend went on the Gem this past May, they loved it and Big Ben, was on it, remember him, he ran the pub crawl on the Dawn last October with the pink afro wig. We didn't do the pub crawl, but we saw them at the end at the pool bar. We are hoping he is on the Dawn Nov 15

I compiled these before taking my June 2015 Gem cruise out of NYC and found them very helpful. Keeping in mind, some of this might be changed with the refurb coming up.

There is a bridge viewing room on deck 11 port side. All the way forward 

Great outdoors is great for breakfast, or if you just want to sit, relax and have a drink. Best place in the ship! deck 12 at the stern, just behind the buffet.

You can bring your food into the La Cucina restaurant during the Breakfast and Lunch buffets. Less crowded and more quiet than the regular buffet seating.

karaoke at night in Bliss.

Before 5pm they start removing all the pool lounge chairs. They also start removing the cushions on all the lounge chairs on the sundeck. This place did it 3 times. Once on the pool deck, once on the sundeck and one in Bliss lounge.

Orchid Garden is now free. Asian restaurant is free.

pools ...are they fresh or salt water? Salt

are there those freestyle Coke soda machines? No, Norwegian only sells Pepsi products.

is there a free icecream self serve machine near the pool? It's in the Buffet.

Live music that I saw consisted of a solo piano player, a solo guitar player, and a pop/rock band. There always seemed to be at least 1 venue, and often 2, with live music going in the evenings. Lots of karaoke too, if you are into that (do not worry, the karaoke is easy to avoid ). The band even had a "jam with the band" night where they invited passengers to come up and join them. We only had a few minutes to watch and no brave souls ventured forth, but maybe someone in your group...

There is a very old post similar to this but at 5 years old I am sure many things have changed. Let's put together a spot to help those sailing the gem soon get to know her best hidden gems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have sailed the Gem twice now. We love it.

I totally agree about the Great Outdoors. It is the perfect place to start your day and end your day.

The coffee in the Java Cafe is far superior to the free coffee! I discovered this towards the end of the second cruise. I mean come on, why pay for coffee when its free right?! Boy was I wrong!

The UBP made having a drink quite the horrendous experience initially; that is until we discovered the area around the Magnums/Shakers/Maltings. This area became our favorite place to hang out! It is quieter and has a slower pace. There are quite a few tables to sit and socialize. (We were a group of 12 and used this area to gather, play cards, games or just sit and read.) Eddie at the Maltings bar was one of the best bar staff on board. He would remember your favorites, suggest drinks, make them weaker if they were too strong, AND entertain you!

Spinnaker was also a great place to hang out. Be warned that this venue gets VERY crowded during the entertainment there so you need to get there early for seating! Joanne and Ivan were also wonderful bar staff! They remembered our names and our favorite drinks. I mean come on what kind of bar staff remembers that you like Riesling after you only were there once?!

The best tip I can offer if you plan to enjoy a few drinks and the UBP is still a promo is to give your wait staff additional tips on top of what is already included. They do appreciate it.

Shreta, one of the entertainment staff was a doll! She remembers your name and greets you like family! Introduce yourself, and get to know her and she will give you all kinds of tips!

Another tip, sign your kids/teens up for the programs even if you do not plan to partake in them. Our teens only wanted to do the teens white hot party (teens get kicked out of the other white hot party at a certain time) and they were rejected because we had not signed them up for the program.

The Spa was a great place to relax and unwind, but be warned if there is something going on in Spinnaker you hear all of it as the spa is directly below Spinnaker. Not everyone in our party had a spa pass, so I did not use this as much as I would had if everyone could have been there.

I'm sure I've forgotten a lot! I will post again if I think of anything.

Patty! How ya been? How's my buddy Scott? We miss you guys!

Scott is great!! We are heading to NOLA for a cruise on the DAWN next month...Our honeymoon cruise....there are 12 of us going, 4 driving and 8 flying!! I cant wait!!

Tell Christie I said hi!! (I hope I spelled her name correctly)!!

So you are going on the Gem? You will have so much fun!!