Tee-total on Azura!???

Justthetonic

Evening,

We are going on a family holiday on the Azura (me, hubby and our four kids). My husband and I have fairly recently given up drinking. We are now wondering what it will be like being tee-total onboard. Will there be mocktails? Will everyone else be getting pissed? We will feel like the boring ones who feel they should retreat to their cabin at 8pm? Have we booked the wrong type of holiday?! It's our first cruise. Help!!

I'm not teetotal but I drink very little, you will still have a good time, plenty to do in the evenings other than drink.

BTW they do mocktails! Ive had a couple, very nice but a bit sweet, I'll have a non-alcoholic beer or shandy next time. (I wonder if anyone has those anymore)

Might be an idea to take a bottle or 2 of cordial with you for yourselves and the children, plenty of water on board for it.

Ive never felt that all around me are getting pi$$ed :D. I dont think you will have anything to worry about at all, enjoy your cruise and more power to you.

I don't drink tea or coffee but like a hot drink for breakfast and at other times of the day so drink hot sugar free Vimto, they now do it in those small concentrated bottle which are great for travelling.

I will also take some other flavoured water enhancers for my water in the day, I am sorry to say that I haven't given up alcohol and do like my G & T's but I do drink water in-between.

To answer your question no you wont be the odd ones out last year we dined a couple of times with a couple who were tee total and all went to the bar for a drink after dinner, they didn't mind us drinking and we didn't mind them drinking water the conversation was really interesting we had a lot in common.

I'm sure that you will have a great time and when you see someone having a bottle of wine or cocktail celebrate - your bill will far less !!!! :D:D:D

If you do enjoy a bottle of wine with your meal; P&O have in the last few years introduced a range of non-alcoholic wine. It is called "Ariel" and comes in a white, red and rose varieties. I generally have a bottle with my evening meal in the MDR my daughter likes it as well; she is under 18, and the waiters will save the bottle for the next day if you only consume part of it.

They also do non-alcoholic "Mocktails" in Metropolis bar, probably elsewhere on the ship too, guess who orders these?

Regards John

No problem both my wife and I are TT and have never felt awkward.

In all bars you can get the Mocktails(my wife likes the Bananaberry Crush).

In the MDR you either just have water (or orange juice etc) But my wife loves to have a Tonic water & Lime juice with her meal.

Just drink what You want to drink.

My husband and i are not great drinkers and i really enjoyed trying the different Mocktail of the day (a bit cheaper for that particular day). After the late night quiz we went to the Belvedere where they have sachets of hot chocolate and ovaltine. I also took a few bottles of diet coke onboard which i kept in the fridge. We did have the occasional alcoholic drink if we felt like one but didn t feel under any pressure to do so. Enjoy your cruise!:)

Evening,

We are going on a family holiday on the Azura (me, hubby and our four kids). My husband and I have fairly recently given up drinking. We are now wondering what it will be like being tee-total onboard. Will there be mocktails? Will everyone else be getting pissed? We will feel like the boring ones who feel they should retreat to their cabin at 8pm? Have we booked the wrong type of holiday?! It's our first cruise. Help!!

Obviously I have no idea whether you will feel boring or not, but it's not a club 18-30 type holiday. If you're worried that everyone on the boat will be looking at the strange non-drinkers, don't. As long as you aren't doing handstands while singing the Marseillaise, no-one will be bothered what you do.

Hi justthetonic

I had a heart attack in March 2015 (fit now) and made a conscious decision not to drink aboard Ventura 31st October 2015

I won't be staying in any cabin at 2000 at night.......far to much to see and do, mocktails are always delicious and most importantly......people won't think you are strange if you are not horizontal at the end of the night,most of them will be enjoying their companion's and whatever is going on!!

The point I'm trying to make is,don't overthink and ruin your holiday over a small and insignificant point.........if like us, you have to save every penny to cruise, you owe it to yourselves to savour and enjoy every second!!

Hope you have a fantastic time!!

Steve n Wendy

Evening,

There's loads to do on the ship (with or without alcohol). When it gets dark we like to visit the bar at the rear of the ship, there's loads of room and you can see the stars or just look at the wake (they have alcohol free drinks and mocktails).

Sometimes it's nice to just walk around the ship. On most evenings there's a movie on the sunscreen.

If you have a balcony, it's actually quite nice to sit on the balcony with all the lights off, just looking at the stars and chatting.

The kids will have loads to do, you probably won't see much of them.

Don't worry, you'll be fine :)

Edited by mds143

I drink very little these days but its part of the holiday for my other half. I have water with my evening meal and he has his wine. Nobody bothers. There are lots of mocktails and p and o usually have a cocktail plus mocktail of the day. We didn't see anyone comatosed. Tipsy and enjoying themselves yes. We didn't go into the Brodies type bar which was like a pub and there are lots of other types of entertainment.

No you will definitely not feel the odd ones out, as there are lots of boring people on board :D. Sorry couldn't resist that, I am joking of course.

Whether you drink or not it will make no difference to your enjoyment. As already stated, you will rarely see drunkeness, if you do it's likely to be me.

The mocktails remind me of funny episode on our Caribbean cruise early this year. We shared a taxi with a couple on sight seeing ride in St.Vincent. The lady asked our driver to stop off at a shop selling alcohol and bought a very large bottle of white rum. She explained on the way back, that the ship (Ventura) did very good mocktails, but she liked to put her own alcohol in them :confused:

Edited by Mr Piano