Cruising on Carnival during Hannukah - Any events?

LMaxwell

Here is what is on Carnival's FAQ:

Chanukah

When: December 6-14, 2015, December 24, 2016-January 1, 2017 and December 12-20, 2017

Chanukah otherwise known as the ‘Festival of Lights’ is the Jewish celebration of miracles, whereby, oil that was only supposed to last for one day, burned for eight days.

-Each ship will have a Menorah (candelabra) set-up in the main lobby.

-A cruise staff member will conduct the Menorah lighting ceremony each evening 30 minutes prior to the early dinner seating. This time will provide an opportunity for guests to gather around the Menorah to recite the bread and wine blessings and sing Chanukah songs (we will provide copies of prayers and songs, if requested). Manishewitz wine, Challah (egg bread) and Latkes (potato pancakes), sour cream and apple sauce will be served each evening.

-If a clergyman of any faith wishes to perform a service, it is on a 'volunteer basis' only - see Clergy Policy below.

Clergy Policy

Carnival respects our guests’ religious beliefs and invites them to practice on their own or with other members of their group. However, we do not place clergy on board our ships.

Clergy traveling as guests onboard our ships are welcome to volunteer to conduct services while sailing. They should leave their name, cabin number, and services offered at the Guest Services Desk and they will be contacted by a member of the Cruise Director's Staff.

Volunteer clergy must bring a Letter of Good Standing from their religious organization with them to provide to the onboard staff. Approval of services will be made based on the letter, schedule suitability, venue availability, etc. Appropriate supplies may not be available onboard, so clergy are encouraged to bring needed items with them, except for wine which can be provided onboard.

Last year sailed to Hawaii during Chanukah.

They had an electric menorah for us to light and put out tray of latkes and a Challah as I recall.

Latkes were very strange and not made in any way we have seen before. Spoke to chef who made it and he told us they just got a recipe from Miami.

He was an Indian fellow who had never seen this before and was very willing to change to something more traditional.

Made some suggestions and they were better the second day.

They had an electric menorah for us to light and put out tray of latkes and a Challah as I recall.

Latkes were very strange and not made in any way we have seen before. Spoke to chef who made it and he told us they just got a recipe from Miami.

He was an Indian fellow who had never seen this before and was very willing to change to something more traditional.

I'll bring bubbe's recipe just in case :D

That is wonderful to hear. Except for the weird latkes. But at least an effort was made.

I'll bring bubbe's recipe just in case :D

I was going to say that.

I think I'm the only person that eats latkes with ketchup instead of sour cream or applesauce. My mom grew up in Israel and that's how she ate them. I tried to get my sons to follow the custom but my husband intervened. His whole family thinks I'm weird, even after 31 years of marriage. :eek: So we have to have all three condiments at Hanukkah.

That is wonderful to hear. Except for the weird latkes. But at least an effort was made.

I was going to say that.

I think I'm the only person that eats latkes with ketchup instead of sour cream or applesauce. My mom grew up in Israel and that's how she ate them. I tried to get my sons to follow the custom but my husband intervened. His whole family thinks I'm weird, even after 31 years of marriage. :eek: So we have to have all three condiments at Hanukkah.

Never heard of eating them with ketchup.:):eek:

The Imagination had latkes, applesauce and Manischewitz. The latkes were shredded potatoes and flour, a little light in color, without onions. The Israelis really liked them.

The lighting was led by the only crew member who was remotely Jewish.

FWIW Any Jew over 13 can lead a service, does not have to be a rabbi or cantor.

Edited by SadieN

Never heard of eating them with ketchup.:):eek:

Well, what are French Fries? Not much different than latkes.

Maybe Carnival should serve those instead? [emoji489]And doughnuts [emoji507]

Another ketchup with latkes eater here! I don't like sour cream so that is my excuse. Everyone else in the family are traditionalists though so all 3 condiments are served.

I found the description posted earlier a bit off-putting as you don't bless bread or wine as part of Hanukkah. You are saying a blessing over the candles only unless it is also Shabbat and then you would take care of bread and wine at dinner. Weird.

French fries doesnt say Chanukah. However adding jelly donuts would be awesome.:):)

I make my own, kind of. Too bad Chanukah will be in the middle of your cruise, otherwise I'd send some with Mom and Sis (Rosefloater).

A wise idea.

Dont remember exactly how the first batch was made but was really weird.

The 1st night, the chef took the meaning "potato pancake" too literal. The 2nd night, he decided to shred the potatoes, but there was no taste. They had the pancakes from the 1st night also on the 2nd night because 'someone said they liked them.' No passenger liked them. The challah tasted like pretzel bread. Glad the challah was the chef's Favorite Bread, because it sure wasn't ours.:rolleyes:

Talked to the token Jew on the crew (gal who ran the teen group) and said the latkes never got better on the next cruise.

Here is from the 1st and 2nd night.

latkes%20day1a_zpsvinnvavj.jpglatkes%20day2_zpsirlxcqbu.jpglatkes%20day2a_zpsu5mpiadc.jpglatkes%20day2b_zpsux57gibo.jpg

Who knew what sufganyot are? Had to google it.

The combo would be awful.

Your mom is the feisty one.:):)

Actually we will be leaving for our Princess Hawaii cruise a few days after Chanukah.:):)

Hopefully they got a better recipe than last year's. If worse comes to worse, I'll bring the tater tots from the breakfast to the candle lighting.

So very true. as I said before how can one expect Indian chef to understand potato latkes.:):)

Decent sized - Jewish population in some parts of India. At least there used to be.

But the got the recipes from Miami. The Arison's are Israeli, explains the latkes we got on the Imagination.

Edited by SadieN