Royal Genie

John&LaLa

It's a slow day and so many of the threads have been blah, so I hope to lighten it up by discussing the Royal Genie services. If you were fortunate to have one, what would you use him/her for?

I ran across an article on Butlers in Cruise Critic http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-6/articles.cfm?ID=345 and this is what they said were common requests.

Assist with packing and unpacking :confused:

Make reservations in the alternative restaurants

Deliver hors d'oeuvres and course-by-course meals

Expedite laundry, dry-cleaning and pressing services

Mix a martini :D

Draw a bubble bath :eek:

Arrange in-suite cocktail or dinner parties

Let's see if we can do better. Creativity is encouraged. ;)

Edited by John&LaLa
Punctuation

1). They'd a rrange for me to smoke on my balcony or anywhere on ship I so please ...and squash those nay-Sayer N/S folks

2). Pick out my shirts and coordinating shorts to wear to MDR...including the occasionsal baseball cap

3). Go to pool around 5a daily and reserve me several prime location deck chairs in various areas around pool...in sun and in the shade...so I can choose from them around noon when I finally haul my butt to the pool.

4). Walk ahead of me down corridors with air freshener to spritz the stinky pockets of poopy air before I arrive

5). Ensure anyone in my party or should happen to meet my fancy while on the cruise can enter the concierge or diamond lounge with me w/o question!

6). Let me complain about everything/anything and... as the true genie they are...fix it/give it to me/make it happen!

7). Make sure the ship doesn't rock/move/sway/yaw in any way that might make me feel "uneasy".....oh and NO bad weather or rough seas shall my genie allow!

8). I'd want my genie to have an elevator immediately come to my location on any floor without hesitation and with no one inside who might not let me be first one onboard

9). Genie MUST...bring back real shrimp cocktails and ship-made original red velvet cake back to Chops...along with real Angus dry aged steaks....not Golden Coral food!

:)

Edited by txcowboy10

1). They'd a rrange for me to smoke on my balcony or anywhere on ship I so please ...and squash those nay-Sayer N/S folks

2). Pick out my shirts and coordinating shorts to wear to MDR...including the occasionsal baseball cap

3). Go to pool around 5a daily and reserve me several prime location deck chairs in various areas around pool...in sun and in the shade...so I can choose from them around noon when I finally haul my butt to the pool.

4). Walk ahead of me down corridors with air freshener to spritz the stinky pockets of poopy air before I arrive

5). Ensure anyone in my party or should happen to meet my fancy while on the cruise can enter the concierge or diamond lounge with me w/o question!

6). Let me complain about everything/anything and... as the true genie they are...fix it/give it to me/make it happen!

7). Make sure the ship doesn't rock/move/sway/yaw in any way that might make me feel "uneasy".....oh and NO bad weather or rough seas shall my genie allow!

8). I'd want my genie to have an elevator immediately come to my location on any floor without hesitation and with no one inside who might not let me be first one onboard

9). Genie MUST...bring back real shrimp cocktails and ship-made original red velvet cake back to Chops...along with real Angus dry aged steaks....not Golden Coral food!

:)

Here's a couple you missed:

Save multiple seats in the theatre/ice show so we can show up right as the house lights dim

Watch over my children as they roam the ship unaccompanied at 2AM.

Here's a couple you missed:

Save multiple seats in the theatre/ice show so we can show up right as the house lights dim

Watch over my children as they roam the ship unaccompanied at 2AM.

I like the watch the children idea

I found the draw your bath scene from Arthur.:eek: Now there was a Butler.:D

John I had a butler wanna "draw my bath" one time in a high roller suite in Vegas...all I could do was picture that Arthur tub scene LOL. I immediately told him Thx but no Thx :). To me that's "too personal" a genie :)

Edited by txcowboy10

I found the draw your bath scene from Arthur.:eek: Now there was a Butler.:D

My favorite 'Bath Butler' scenes are now from the Modern Family episode 'Las Vegas' which was filmed at RCI partner MGM's Mandalay Bay.

The ending scene where Jay realizes his move from lowly 'Excelsior' to Excelsior Plus' was actually a slight as he was not granted the coveted 'Excelsior Ultra', was classic.

Fill the onboard library with LOTS of books

Make me look fabulous for formal night

Organise for a good range of movies to be shown in the theatre during the day

Make the sulky teen crack a smile, more often.

Make me fly up that last flight of stairs to the Windjammer/pool deck

Unpack, and polish shoes, press or steam clothes, etc as they go so that everything is perfect and ready to wear without the rumpled travel look I usually sport.

Take dirty laundry out every day or so and return clean, pressed, and folded or hung.

(do you see a theme? I hate laundry!)

deliver ice cold canned coke and a fresh bucket of ice 5 minutes after my wake up call each day (and a nice coffee for DH)

Create a list of my favourite club songs and make sure that at least 50% of what is played every evening is on my list

1. Tell my girlfriend she has the wrong room when she knocks on the door.

2. Bang on the walls or floor or ceiling exactly 12 hours after the neighbors do it first.

3. Taste a bite and sip of everything before I do to check for poisons.

4. Personal Pool Lounger Defender™

5. Helps me beat Bob at all trivia.

ok, my husband did this to me while i just arrived in paris, i went downstairs to get something at the front desk and came back up and knocked and he talked in a foreign voice and I panicked thinking where in the world is my room

You're taking the Genie title a little to far now. :eek:

Maybe not - there are still constraints here around time away from work as well as money. This would simply break down the travel time spent by people who have to fly in to port.

Maybe a 'rule' could only be added here that you can only be transported to the embarkation port.

Maybe not - there are still constraints here around time away from work as well as money. This would simply break down the travel time spent by people who have to fly in to port.

Maybe a 'rule' could only be added here that you can only be transported to the embarkation port.

Have you seen the cost of the rooms a Royal Genie services? Money is not an issue, but reality is ;)

Edited by John&LaLa

Have you seen the cost of the rooms a Royal Genie services? Money is not an issue, but reality is ;)

... and yes, also reality - but I thought this was supposed to be creative!

I'm also admittedly picturing a literal blue 'genie in a lamp'.. so that probably doesn't help that whole "reality" factor.

... and yes, also reality - but I thought this was supposed to be creative!

I'm also admittedly picturing a literal blue 'genie in a lamp'.. so that probably doesn't help that whole "reality" factor.

We can be creative without resorting to magic. BTW, I live next to I Dream of Jeannie Lane. I am well versed on the concept

We can be creative without resorting to magic. BTW, I live next to I Dream of Jeannie Lane. I am well versed on the concept

Having a magic teleport-capable genie sounds about as real to me as having a butler on a cruise ship.

(Neither will happen any time soon.)

A liiiittle confused as to why you're so bothered by my response... haha! Someone else said to make the food have "no calories" - pick on them, too!

Having a magic teleport-capable genie sounds about as real to me as having a butler on a cruise ship.

(Neither will happen any time soon.)

A liiiittle confused as to why you're so bothered by my response... haha! Someone else said to make the food have "no calories" - pick on them, too!

Not as far off as you think. We have had a Butler twice now. Both Trans Atlantic where cabins are deeply discounted.

And no calorie food is not that far a stretch. Probably doesn't have any taste, but you'll run into some of that on the ship

Not as far off as you think. We have had a Butler twice now. Both Trans Atlantic where cabins are deeply discounted.

And no calorie food is not that far a stretch. Probably doesn't have any taste, but you'll run into some of that on the ship

Haa - Maybe after a few years of cruising and a little bit more vacation time.

I might have to switch my Halloween costume to a Genie now. :)