Century or Carnival Glory?

FrannyK

My husband and I are considering trying Celebrity Century for our cruise in February. We've been on other lines and so far, prefer Carnival for the dining room menus/food and size of cabins. We really enjoyed RCCL's Explorer--the ship was amazing, but the food average at best. Our TA says Celebrity is a "step above" CCL and RCCL - do you agree? And does the Century have an upscale "pay" restaurant? Is there an adult-only pool? I've heard complaints about inadequate tendering at port stops--true? We already know what to expect w/Carnival and the Glory is a newer ship. Still, I'd like to try Celebrity to see if it is "better." We are in our late 40's and will not have our children with us (:)), we aren't that interested in what ports we go to, just relaxing on the ship w/good food and service is our goal. Thanks.

I'll try to answer your questions the best I can...

1. There is not currently a "speciality" or "pay" restaurant onboard Century -- simply the main dining room. That said, however, I would wager the food aboard Century in the regular dining venue is still better than the nicest speciality restaurant aboard Carnival.

However, Century is undergoing a massive re-construction of sorts in the coming months, where a specialty venue will be added. I am not sure if this would be done in time for your voyage or not.

2. I agree with your T/A that Celebrity is a VERY LARGE step above Carnival. I've sailed both lines, and I would not go back to Carnival again after my experiences aboard Celebrity. In fact, I'd go as far as saying they are several steps above. The food, service, elegant/sophisticated decor are ALL far better aboard Celebrity.

3. I believe there is an "adult only" pool on some Celebrity ships, but I honestly didn't pay enough attention when I was aboard Mercury and Galaxy (sister ships to Century). I believe there IS an adults-only pool, though.

4. The tendering complaint is, in my opinion, bogus. I've tendered numerous times aboard Galaxy and Mercury, and I found it to be extremely efficient with lines no longer than 5-10 minutes. When I was on Mercury, they frequently ran 3-4 tenders at the same time.

Overall, I think you'll find Celebrity's ships to be far more beautiful (even though Century is older) with better service, better food, etc.

Having sailed on Glory and also Century, I would rate just about everything quite a bit higher on Century. Although Glory is a new ship (about 2 years now), she is beautiful. Not what I had anticipated it to be based on Carnival of years past.

The Specialty resteraunt on Glory was, IMHO, the equivelent of the service you get in the main dining room on Century. The food is definetly several notches up on Century (X as a whole). I really did not care for the dancing on tables that we saw on Carnival and thought it was tacky. I felt very rushed through dinner and found a good bit of the food bland and not very hot. This just could have been a fluke week, but it did not leave as lasting impression on me.

Now, don't get me wrong, we had an absolutely great time on Glory. We went with the expectations of not having the "White Glove" service we are used to on Celebrity, so we were not let down in any way. If you asked me to compare the two, I would rate Celebrity a lot higher than Carnival. The food, service, staff, experience as a whole on Celebrity is much better. Again, this in no way stopped us from having a great time on Glory. I did love the Deli station and Oriental Station in the buffet area on Glory. That was probably the best food I had all week.

For the money, yes, Carnival is slightly lower in price but not that much where it would sway my decision. I hope this helps you in some way. Again these are just my opinions from my experieces on both ships/lines.

We sailed on the Glory about two months after it first set sail. I can honestly say that we found the coffee, food and wine selections to all be lacking. The ship was beautiful (especially that new), but it never felt right because the food and such didn't match the gleam of the banisters.

Being on the Glory was great, but it is so large and there are so many kids, we were at times overwhelmed. There appeared to be a double standard with kids eating ice cream cones in the hot tubs but security absolutely would not allow an adult to have a drink in the same tub.

Needless to say, Celebrity is much more than a step above, there is absolutely no comparison.

We too have sailed on the Glory and the Century. We were on the Glory on its inaugural season and the Century last year. We chose the Glory for a summer cruise with our teenage daughter. We have just booked again on the Glory for next January, so it may sound strange for me to say that the Century is much better ... and different. Food on the Celebrity ships we have sailed is much better than on the Carnival ships. Service on the Glory was better than our other Carnival cruises and was, in my opinion, equal to Celebrity. We are also on the Infinity to Hawii next month so we prefer Celebrity overall. We are older and like it less crowded.

Just remember, there is no such thing as a bad cruise!

I have not sailed on the Century, but I have sailed on Celebrity, RCI and the Glory. The Glory was by far the worst cruise I have ever been on. The food, IMO, was awful. The only comparison I have is RCI and Celebrity, and it was seriously lacking. I had to send entrees back several times. I have never had to do that on RCI/Celebrity. Food came out cold. The bread and desserts were terrible! Our assigned dining table was awful (2 at a table for 8) and when we were put at a new table, people rarely showed up at that one either! Our best meal was the one we paid EXTRA for in the special dining room. And the best desserts were the ones we paid EXTRA for at the coffee shop. However, I regret paying for that last latte, because I ended up with food poisioning and spent my last afternoon and evening on the almighty Glory puking my guts out and getting hooked up to an IV in the infirmary half the night! I went on Carnival with an open mind thinking it had to be as good as everyone said. Well, it wasn't.

I am going back to Celebrity next time. I want to try Princess, but now that Carnival owns them, I hear they are going down the tubes as well...

Just my two cents...

I have not sailed on the Century, but I have sailed on Celebrity, RCI and the Glory. The Glory was by far the worst cruise I have ever been on. The food, IMO, was awful. The only comparison I have is RCI and Celebrity, and it was seriously lacking. I had to send entrees back several times. I have never had to do that on RCI/Celebrity. Food came out cold. The bread and desserts were terrible! Our assigned dining table was awful (2 at a table for 8) and when we were put at a new table, people rarely showed up at that one either! Our best meal was the one we paid EXTRA for in the special dining room. And the best desserts were the ones we paid EXTRA for at the coffee shop. However, I regret paying for that last latte, because I ended up with food poisioning and spent my last afternoon and evening on the almighty Glory puking my guts out and getting hooked up to an IV in the infirmary half the night! I went on Carnival with an open mind thinking it had to be as good as everyone said. Well, it wasn't.

I am going back to Celebrity next time. I want to try Princess, but now that Carnival owns them, I hear they are going down the tubes as well...

Just my two cents...

I was on Glory. We also had problems with food being served cold and the service was quite lacking in the dining room. We had to constantly ask for refills on coffee and water, we poured our own wine (and we spent a lot on wine), I could not get the simplest special requests (leave the sauces off my fish) honored.

The dining room was crowded and noisy with conga lines, announcements and dancing waiters. I personally find this tacky, not entertaining.

The Glory was the most overcrowded ship I have ever cruised and I felt like a sardine all week.

There was no adult pool, a big let down for me.

I do not enjoy dining - in the formal dining room - with guys dressed in tank tops and ball caps. This is not my style.

And the ship is smoky, even with the new air filtration systems in use now.

There is simply no comparison, IME and IMO.

I have cruised both Celebrity and Carnival; not the Century, but I did tour the Glory and I would find it hard to believe the Glory would rate anywhere near the Century. Nearly all of us who toured the Glory last year thought it was gaudy and not tastefully done. We did have the buffet which was as good if not better than any buffet I have had on a cruise ship. Of course, like all Carnival ships the cabins were a nice size. Nearly any cruise is what you make of it, but price being similar and itinerary what you want I would opt for the Century. NMNita

Just my two cents...

Carnival besides owning Princess, owns, Cunard (the Queens) Holland America and Seaborne, amoung others, going down the tubes?, hardly.

Phil

Last Dec on Century you could make reservations for dinner in the Sky Bar instead of eating in the main dining room. The menu was limited and didn't appear to change every night but it was quite good. I heard from another passenger that this is where they break-in their new kitchen staff.

There was no kid's pool that I know of and I'm sure someone would have pointed it out to my 7 year-old had there been one. There were only 17 kids registered in the kid's program so if you're looking for a quiet cruise, early Dec would definitely be a good time.

Hello !

I have been on Century many times, and she is one of my favorites in Celebrity's fleet. I am sailing on her again in about 6 weeks. I would not hesistate to give her a try. You will not be disappointed.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Carnival besides owning Princess, owns, Cunard (the Queens) Holland America and Seaborne, amoung others, going down the tubes?, hardly.

Phil

I wasn't talking about the other lines, Phil. Frankly, I have no interest in those lines right now. In the PAST, I read raves about Princess vs RCI, Carnival, Celebrity. Not now. I am seeing more and more negative comments, especially on the European board, which I am particularly interested in these days. Just an observation, Phil. I want to try Princess for Alaska, but if the trend continues, I will reconsider. But the Glory is AWFUL and that is MY OPINION!

I am trying Carnival Liberty in November..

We sailed on Century (and Mercury) and loved both , but for my teen Carnival could be a better choice. (he loved X very much too).

This time we aren't looking for white glove service, and since I am on diet I am not really worry about the food. However lately I hear that food on Carnival now is much better than on RCCL. (to be honest I wasn't all that impressed with RCCL food, but it wasn't awful either.. If Carnival's food is better than we definitely won't be hungry).

We sailed on Century (and Mercury) and loved both , but for my teen Carnival could be a better choice. (he loved X very much too).

This time we aren't looking for white glove service, and since I am on diet I am not really worry about the food. However lately I hear that food on Carnival now is much better than on RCCL. (to be honest I wasn't all that impressed with RCCL food, but it wasn't awful either.. If Carnival's food is better than we definitely won't be hungry).

We have been on RCCL twice and we also felt the food was VERY unimpressive. All 20 of our group agreed Carnival's dining room food and menus were much better. We try to use the dining room exclusively on Carnival cruises. We did however think RCCL had a bit better set-up and selection for lunch buffets though. Our kids like Carnival best because the counselors for the kids/teens activities are incredibly caring and enthusiastic.

I'm definitely leaning towards Celebrity for just my husband and I on this trip. Looking forward to even better service and food, and it's exciting to try a new cruise line. Only wish our plans hadn't changed and we could take a full week and try the Century instead of Zenith :( But, I'm hoping even the Zenith will give us a taste of what Celebrity has to offer.

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

Carnival: Fantasy 1/2000

Sensation 2/2001

Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

Sensation 2/2004

We have been on RCCL twice and we also felt the food was VERY unimpressive. All 20 of our group agreed Carnival's dining room food and menus were much better. We try to use the dining room exclusively on Carnival cruises. We did however think RCCL had a bit better set-up and selection for lunch buffets though. Our kids like Carnival best because the counselors for the kids/teens activities are incredibly caring and enthusiastic.

I'm definitely leaning towards Celebrity for just my husband and I on this trip. Looking forward to even better service and food, and it's exciting to try a new cruise line. Only wish our plans hadn't changed and we could take a full week and try the Century instead of Zenith :( But, I'm hoping even the Zenith will give us a taste of what Celebrity has to offer.

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

Sensation 2/2001

Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

Sensation 2/2004

FrannyK

Thanks alot for your comments :) . I was kind of worried about Carnival, but with Liberty being the newest ship, and all new reviews about the food we decided to try it. I also want to see if Carnival cruises are more fun. We'll see what we think about loud announcements though.

I think Century is a great ship for couples... Even during the summer number of kids if about 300 (and half of it older teens). I love 4 whirepools with different temperatures next to the pool.

Dining room service is much more professional than on any line I sailed before. Buffet is very good (although I prefered HAL buffets more). Food in the dining room is much more sophisticated than on RCCL and even same dishes taste much better.

Overall there are little things that make you feel pampered (champagne on embarkation, cold towels, sherbet by the pool) :)

Century is a very special ship for me, as she was the very first ship I cruised on after moving to North America!

FrannyK

Thanks alot for your comments :) . I was kind of worried about Carnival, but with Liberty being the newest ship, and all new reviews about the food we decided to try it. I also want to see if Carnival cruises are more fun. We'll see what we think about loud announcements though.

I think Century is a great ship for couples... Even during the summer number of kids if about 300 (and half of it older teens). I love 4 whirepools with different temperatures next to the pool.

Dining room service is much more professional than on any line I sailed before. Buffet is very good (although I prefered HAL buffets more). Food in the dining room is much more sophisticated than on RCCL and even same dishes taste much better.

Overall there are little things that make you feel pampered (champagne on embarkation, cold towels, sherbet by the pool) :)

Century is a very special ship for me, as she was the very first ship I cruised on after moving to North America!

I am confident your teen will love Carnival. Liberty is much larger than the Carnival ships we've been on but I know on the smaller ships, the counselsors told us there are usually 100+ kids (not including older teens) in Jan/Feb and climbs to 800!!!! in the summer months or when the kids have off from school. WOW. I know we always put aside some $ to tip the counselors because they are always so wonderful. Carnival's dining room food is very very good and don't miss their pizza, calzones, and such located in the buffet area. We never waited longer than 7 minutes for room service, and my teens ordered room service 21 times in seven days LOL. Our cabin steward called them the "bagel kids" LOL. On one cruise, our cabin steward called us on the phone in our room, even though he was not on duty, to tell us to turn on the TV to the Carnival channel because my son was dancing the Macarena on TV and it was so hilarious. On another night my daughter's "swimming under the stars" night was canceled due to weather conditions (she was 12 at the time) so she came back to the cabin and we were out at the casino so our cabin steward brought her cookies and milk and kept watch till we returned. When my daughter filled out a comment card at dinner one night, the next day she received a coupon for 2 free pictures in the gallery. On every cruise my kids have received a photo album of pictures from all the activities they participated in during the week. They always come home with trophy's and prizes and are thrilled. Carnival really caters to the kids beautifully. You can't go wrong. Looking forward to your comments when you return :)

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

Sensation 2/2001

Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

Sensation 2/2004

What fun to find someone else who cruised on the Riviera!!! That was a lovely old ship! As for Celebrity vs. Carnival, I have to admit that we have heard such negative things about the latter - expecially as Senior Citizens!! - that we prefer not to try it. However, we find that Celebrity is the closest there seems to be of the old "grace" of cruising! The food and service are really super! "TRY IT - YOU'LL LIKE IT!"

MAMMABUNNY

What fun to find someone else who cruised on the Riviera!!! That was a lovely old ship! As for Celebrity vs. Carnival, I have to admit that we have heard such negative things about the latter - expecially as Senior Citizens!! - that we prefer not to try it. However, we find that Celebrity is the closest there seems to be of the old "grace" of cruising! The food and service are really super! "TRY IT - YOU'LL LIKE IT!"

MAMMABUNNY

Wow, I have NEVER run into anyone else who was on the Riviera! It truly was a wonderful experience--it was our very first cruise (B.C.--before children LOL) and we went w/a group of 24 friends. It began our love for cruising :) It's nice to hear Celebrity has the same old-world "grace" we experienced on the Riviera. I always remember it fondly. Yes, we will definitely try Celebrity Zenith in February. Thanks. :)

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

Sensation 2/2001

Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

Sensation 2/2004

Archived