So what do you think of the new a la carte menus? (links inside)

dijid

You still must have been using close to the most expensive items for your comparison for every course. Below is an example of 2 apps, 2 salads, 2 entrees, and 4 sides.

Shrimp app $8

Pork app $5

2 salads $8

Filet $16

Surf turf $25

4 sides $8

Total is $70. Only $10 more than what the cover charge would have been and like I said most people would probably either do a salad and one side or just 2 sides (not both). Also this was including the surf and turf one of the more expensive entrees. So could be cheaper if that was changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are the entrees I used, believe it or not.

I figured also two desserts at $5 each. so that is $80. With 18% that is $94.40. That's knocking pretty close to $100 in my book.

The point here is that if you don't want a big meal, yes, dining at specialty could cost less than it did when it was price fix. But I suggest THAT scenario is not going to be the norm. If someone were to have an app, salad, entree, desert and two sides (a vegetable and potato) that really isn't some obscene amount of food. It's a good amount of food, but it's not completely ridiculous. And in that exact scenario I've shown how the base price goes from $60 with the price fix cover to $80 with a la carte.

That's a more than 30% increase. That's the whole point I was trying to make. If you order a full meal, you'll pay a lot more than previously. It's even more apparent if you take a restaurant like la cucina; the price difference there sticks out even more.

As I said, I'm not likely to go for a full meal now somewhere.

But I am interested in the smaller plates at some of the other restaurants and bars in the $4-7 range. It's conceivable I'd order one or two to share before heading to the MDR for dinner. That way I can try a few new things and not break the bank. I have to say that NCL really stepped up in terms of offering new options and the variety is large.

I figured also two desserts at $5 each. so that is $80. With 18% that is $94.40. That's knocking pretty close to $100 in my book.

The point here is that if you don't want a big meal, yes, dining at specialty could cost less than it did when it was price fix. But I suggest THAT scenario is not going to be the norm. If someone were to have an app, salad, entree, desert and two sides (a vegetable and potato) that really isn't some obscene amount of food. It's a good amount of food, but it's not completely ridiculous. And in that exact scenario I've shown how the base price goes from $60 with the price fix cover to $80 with a la carte.

That's a more than 30% increase. That's the whole point I was trying to make. If you order a full meal, you'll pay a lot more than previously. It's even more apparent if you take a restaurant like la cucina; the price difference there sticks out even more.

But I am interested in the smaller plates at some of the other restaurants and bars in the $4-7 range. It's conceivable I'd order one or two to share before heading to the MDR for dinner. That way I can try a few new things and not break the bank. I have to say that NCL really stepped up in terms of offering new options and the variety is large.

So, why don't you take a SDP for X number of people in your group, that gives you a cover charge of like $20 per person per X number of days? Just saying....

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

So, why don't you take a SDP for X number of people in your group, that gives you a cover charge of like $20 per person per X number of days? Just saying....

We're also waiting to hear what the reality is for this situation, will there be premium upcharges?

I think 3 shrimp for $8 is crazy

If I buy it today, will it be what I paid for a year from now?

And I might be inclined to pay for one upcharge meal, but paying $140 with service charges for 3 dinners sounds like a lot. We aren't sure how they are going to handle the prices/premiums/exclusions. I'm not a fan of NCL's fast and loose changing of the product they sell to their advantage and not the guest. If I had an iron clad guarantee of what I was buying I might think differently.

Also, what would they do if we brought an under 2 year old with us? Just the standard kids menu I'd think, right?

Edited by LMaxwell

Wouldn't the gratuity need to be paid on the previous regular cover charge?

We also can't forget that we already paid for food in our fare, these are charges on top of that, so we're definitely up in major steakhouse territory
Many people have already mentioned this earlier in the thread, but always in the same vague terms. How much have we already paid, per dinner? $5? $20? $50?

Keep in mind that even someone in the cheapest inside has paid for all their meals, so we're not talking about a cruise fare of $500 per person per day here.

Yes, 60 + gratuity = 70.8

80 + gratuity = 94.4

That's still over a 30% increase.

Only if you order all of what you previously quoted. That's a lot of food and while I agree when it was included in a cover charge it allowed you to order more than one normally wood, it doesn't mean it was all necessary. As I previously stated you could go without a salad for example and the. The $80 becomes $72. Only $12 difference. No dessert? Well the. It's only a $2 difference. Point is you can still be well fed with barely a cost differential. But as others also have pointed out, can't you still get the SDP?

Ok, I am very confused about this discussion. As I understand it, the Specialty Packages, requiring a minimum of 3 dinners, will still be sold, and the al a carte pricing will not apply to them, except as designated by additional upcharges in a few restaurants, i.e., tapas, raw bar, sushi, ocean Blue. So, how is this more expensive than before? If you like the specialty restaurants, buy the 3 meal (or more package) and then you will not have to deal with the al a carte pricing, right? Am I missing something?

Terry

Yes! What you are missing is that not all of us get the SDP as a perk or as a purchase. Many people only eat one or two meals at soecialty restaurants. this forces them to either pay a la carte pricing or buy the SDP.

Our Platinum perk is not good at Cagney's, even if we pay the difference so we usually pay for one meal there. Not any more because of a la carte.

Many people have already mentioned this earlier in the thread, but always in the same vague terms. How much have we already paid, per dinner? $5? $20? $50?

Keep in mind that even someone in the cheapest inside has paid for all their meals, so we're not talking about a cruise fare of $500 per person per day here.

I think folks over estimate what a cruise line pays for food. I volunteer for an independent living complex and their budget for both lunch and dinner is $12.50 a day per resident. Their food is far superior to what you get on a cruise line and being that they only have 200 residents and they aren't able to purchase food in mega bulk as the cruise lines do, I'd say that their cost is more than a cruise line for two meals.

There was a post on the Celebrity board, where it says their total food costs were $118,000,000, which averaged out to $13.32 per passenger per day.

So, even if you add $8.00 (which I think is a high number) for dinner, the a la carte pricing still doesn't come close to being priced as an upscale steakhouse.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Agreed! I don't want to see prices! And to charge for a side?

I have to agree with you on this. Some of those sides are worth pennies yet the charge is $2.

Overall I am seeing some new stuff there to try especially the fish dishes. I have always thought the menus were light on fish dishes so they are better balanced now.

I'm not too concerned with the prices overall as we tend to have one appetiser, one main and one dessert. I often skip dessert so overall we may or may not end up paying more. Having said that on our next 3 cruises we have UDP anyway so the point is moot.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Platinum voucher.

I think folks over estimate what a cruise line pays for food. I volunteer for an independent living complex and their budget for both lunch and dinner is $12.50 a day per resident. Their food is far superior to what you get on a cruise line and being that they only have 200 residents and they aren't able to purchase food in mega bulk as the cruise lines do, I'd say that their cost is more than a cruise line for two meals.

There was a post on the Celebrity board, where it says their total food costs were $118,000,000, which averaged out to $13.32 per passenger per day.

So, even if you add $8.00 (which I think is a high number) for dinner, the a la carte pricing still doesn't come close to being priced as an upscale steakhouse.

What the cruise line pays for something in bulk doesn't necessarily translate to what the value is to me. The value of dining in the MDR far surpasses NCL'S cost. Same applies to specialty dining. What they pay is nowhere near what they charge. So to say someone is passing up an $8 meal if they go out for a 60, 70... $100 meal is not how I would characterize it.

When I add it up, it looks like those who eat a regular 3 course meal (appetizer, entree/side, dessert) will be paying about the same as they did with a cover charge (in general - obviously the prices vary a bit.) Those who are heavier eaters who eat more than one item for a course will have to pay more, and those who are lighter eaters will pay less. I fall in the heavier category most the time, but I don't really think that's unfair.

I always oder the steak in Le Bristro. That alone is priced the same as the current cover charge, so add an app and dessert and it bcecomes much more expensive for the same meal :(

I wish cruise fares were based only on what the company pays. Let's not forget staffing and the very nice up - price the company wants. I'm sure NCL figures much more/meal price in their cruise fares/pp. It's their base cost++$.

Safe sailing

Yes, if you just want to pop in for a sampler of different things, the new a la carte costs are lower.

If you want a comprehensive dining experience such as under the old price fix method, the new a la carte ends up costing a lot more.

So it works for some people, doesn't work for others.

I'd be inclined to try some stuff at Food Republic / Tapas bar a la carte, but not likely to dine in any of the full on restaurants with a la carte pricing as the value proposition goes out the window for me. I'm not likely to skip the MDR for dinner to go sample appetizers somewhere. But I may go before dinner and buy an app or two.

Each person has different tastes and considers value differently. Cagneys would be significantly more expensive for us to dine at with a la carte pricing.

Yep, this is about what I expected that it would be. If you only want one or two things you can do it less expensively but if you want the full treatment it will likely cost more (unless of course you have a meal plan). Makes me glad we are happy with the food in the MDRs:D.

You make a good point. I still think they are going for Faux-High end. They are not serving high end cuts of meat. They may be serving high end sides and apps, but the meat choices scream budget chain restaurant to me, and that's all wrong.

For $60-100 per meal, for two people, I certainly expect better quality main courses than chain restaurant.

The sides are not high end...and the portions are small. The apps and salads are probably in line with a budget chain restaurant.

Ruth's Chris charges $10 for an app but the portions are HUGE and are made for sharing. They may seriously be 5x's larger than what's served on the ship. If the portions remain the same in the speciality restaurants then they are appropriate for one and not necessarily for sharing.

Edited by missintuitive

What the cruise line pays for something in bulk doesn't necessarily translate to what the value is to me. The value of dining in the MDR far surpasses NCL'S cost. Same applies to specialty dining. What they pay is nowhere near what they charge. So to say someone is passing up an $8 meal if they go out for a 60, 70... $100 meal is not how I would characterize it.
There are at least three different numbers: what it costs them, what they charge everyone, and what it's worth to me. The third one is totally up to me, so let's forget that one. The first one (how much NCL spends on food) is NCL's business, although I agree with NLH it is likely to be much less than most of us might think, and I agree with you that this applies across the board, to both complimentary dining and specialty dining.

The second number (how much NCL charges, or how much we pay per dinner in our cruise fare) can only be guessed at, since NCL doesn't break down cruise fares in these terms, at least not publicly. But if we start with NLH's numbers, let's say $15pppd food costs, and add a 300% markup (which is about average for land restaurants), then $60 of our daily cruise fare pays for complimentary dining. So just for dinner, let's say $25. Does that sound OK as a super rough estimate?

This started out as a discussion about the new menu items. It has turned into rehashing the same exact posts that were made months ago when this was first announced. I'm disappointed in the posters. So what do people think about the new food choices?

Perhaps this was already answered - if so - sorry - but we already paid for dinner for next week for 2 at the Italian restaurant. How will that work? I did not realize that they were going to be part of the new pricing.

What ship? Right now I think these menus are only on Escape and gradually being rolled out to other ships.

This started out as a discussion about the new menu items. It has turned into rehashing the same exact posts that were made months ago when this was first announced. I'm disappointed in the posters. So what do people think about the new food choices?

Sad that Wagyu burgers are gone from Cagney, hopefully its in Food Republic to try out on NCL (I gaze a bit at it, but didn't really see it - I have to look again). Looking forward, especially next year; to a meal of mushroom soup and escargots at Le Bistro, plus trying the salads and truffle fries at Cagney, plus calamari and gnocchi at Le Bistro. This year I plan to go to Ocean Blue and try one of the seafood dishes plus appetizers for one or 4 nights. :)