So what do you think of the new a la carte menus? (links inside)

dijid

I'll be on the Breakaway next year with the SDP Specialty Dining Program. How will the a la carte work with that in Cagney's and Le Bistro? I'll be curious to hear about the SDP experience on the Escape and how it was handled with the new a la carte. Hope someone posts.

Not a fan of the new a la carte pricing at all! Ordering two appetizers, an entree, and desert will be significantly more expensive[emoji35]

I have been saying all along that this was going to happen. I will be damned if I give them 1 penny more than the original cover charge. :eek:

Not a fan of the new a la carte pricing at all! Ordering two appetizers, an entree, and desert will be significantly more expensive[emoji35]

When I add it up, it looks like those who eat a regular 3 course meal (appetizer, entree/side, dessert) will be paying about the same as they did with a cover charge (in general - obviously the prices vary a bit.) Those who are heavier eaters who eat more than one item for a course will have to pay more, and those who are lighter eaters will pay less. I fall in the heavier category most the time, but I don't really think that's unfair.

Realistically, with hubby being inclined to eat more and me being more likely to eat less, it would maybe be a wash, financially.

However, one of the things I've always liked about the specialty dining on a ship is not having to look at the prices, regardless of how much or how little we were likely to eat. Just kind of adds to the "getting away from it all" feeling. If it feels exactly like going to a land restaurant, it kind of kills that vibe.

And, really? They can't include a side or 2 with the entree? I've never been one to complain about a cruise line "nickel and diming", but in my book, THAT qualifies.

Realistically, with hubby being inclined to eat more and me being more likely to eat less, it would maybe be a wash, financially.

However, one of the things I've always liked about the specialty dining on a ship is not having to look at the prices, regardless of how much or how little we were likely to eat. Just kind of adds to the "getting away from it all" feeling. If it feels exactly like going to a land restaurant, it kind of kills that vibe.

And, really? They can't include a side or 2 with the entree? I've never been one to complain about a cruise line "nickel and diming", but in my book, THAT qualifies.

Agreed! I don't want to see prices! And to charge for a side?

I totally agree with you. For my family of four, this will not work. We like to try different items and before it was a great experience. Trying to decide if my 9 year old really needs a side or a dessert and adding up the costs- totally takes away from the fun and the freedom. We won't be paying extra for Cagneys anymore.

Edited by dna529

Looks like they actually got someone who knows French to check over the Le Bistro menu this time! :D I only spotted one mistake.

I disagree because I have never seen a true french restaurant charge cents. $12.99? Tacky. What is wrong with 13?

First off, Outback, Chili's, etc., in the US are atrocious. Sure, people like them, but they are not anything resembling fine dining. Most food is portioned frozen food that is microwaved or deep fried. The steaks are typically at or below the quality one could purchase at any local supermarket for a modest price.

The other ones listed are higher end and offer better quality and selections of meat, and they price it to match. Those typically offer everything a la carte and for many people are not a regular dining experience due to pricing.

I think Cagneys falls into the middle. It is better quality than US chains (especially regarding things such as appetizers/sides/desserts) but does not compete with any of the high end places. But they try to pass it off as Faux-High end.

With a la carte pricing I estimate it would cost us close to $100 to eat at Cagneys.

That would be two appetizers to share. A salad for each. A main entree for each. Two sides for each. I did not see dessert pricing for Cagneys but other restaurants are +/- $5 for dessert. Add in 18% tip and you're getting close to $100 right there.

This very month we were on the Sky and Cagneys was a flat cover of $30 each. So $60 plus 18% tip, so about $71. And if we were hungry enough we could have more food than we could now get for 35% more cost. So, like I said, the value proposition is gone. Spending $90 to $100 to eat at Cagneys which doesn't offer as good a quality steak as a real steakhouse, and no better than an average supermarket steak, is too much for me to consider, expecially factoring in the cost and DSC paid for the dining room that we are skipping. Add it all up and it's Outback steak with Morton's Steakhouse quality sides, at a near Morton's price point.

Pass.

While I understand that your scenario it is possible to add up to $90 or so, that will probably not be the norm. I would think most people would consider the salad as one of their sides or not get a salad but get 2 other sides. In addition some items are cheaper than others. I did a quick average of the starters and entrees and on average for 2 apps, 2 entrees, and 4 sides, it would still be about $60. Same as it would have been at the cover charge price. Granted I didn't include desert so it would just be slightly more on average but it could also be cheaper depending on what you order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how I feel. The $2 sides scream "nickel and dime" to me. And one of the things my kids love about cruising is that they can order whatever they want to eat. Now we'd have to watch prices, and I honestly think we'll enjoy the MDRs more because we know that we'd be worried about the final cost if we went to an alternative venue to eat.

Overall, the pricing is a little higher - especially at La Cucina - than what I had expected.

Most real steakhouses charge for sides (and are way more that $2).

That's how I feel. The $2 sides scream "nickel and dime" to me. And one of the things my kids love about cruising is that they can order whatever they want to eat. Now we'd have to watch prices, and I honestly think we'll enjoy the MDRs more because we know that we'd be worried about the final cost if we went to an alternative venue to eat.

Overall, the pricing is a little higher - especially at La Cucina - than what I had expected.

I'm going to sound wrong for this - But what nickel&diming when its already an extra cost to eat at a specialty restaurant, anyway? You know what a real nickel&dime is? Being charged for tap water at MDR or Buffet, and double if its bottled water - that's a nickel&dime!

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Most real steakhouses charge for sides (and are way more that $2).
That's the point: $10 for a baked potato I guess tells you something about where you're eating (and hopefully something about the potato). $2 for a baked potato tells you something different…

That's the point: $10 for a baked potato I guess tells you something about where you're eating (and hopefully something about the potato). $2 for a baked potato tells you something different…
I'm also paying $16 for a small filet versus $53.95, so it is telling me I'm not at an upscale steakhouse, but at a medium priced steakhouse; better than the Outback but with comparable prices, but not as good as Manny's. Edited by NLH Arizona

While I understand that your scenario it is possible to add up to $90 or so, that will probably not be the norm. I would think most people would consider the salad as one of their sides or not get a salad but get 2 other sides. In addition some items are cheaper than others. I did a quick average of the starters and entrees and on average for 2 apps, 2 entrees, and 4 sides, it would still be about $60. Same as it would have been at the cover charge price. Granted I didn't include desert so it would just be slightly more on average but it could also be cheaper depending on what you order.

can always run down to the MDR for a salad and desserts ;)

Part of specialty dining is the experience. Micromanaging costs and limiting the experience isn't for me. I did not select the most expensive of any section on the menu. Maybe 2 apps plus a salad each is a bit much, but I'm trying to compare apples to apples here.

Yes, if you order much less food than you got with the cover charges, you can keep prices in line.

I'm also paying $16 for a small filet versus $53.95, so it is telling me I'm not at an upscale steakhouse, but at a medium priced steakhouse; better than the Outback but with comparable prices, but not as good as Manny's.

You make a good point. I still think they are going for Faux-High end. They are not serving high end cuts of meat. They may be serving high end sides and apps, but the meat choices scream budget chain restaurant to me, and that's all wrong.

For $60-100 per meal, for two people, I certainly expect better quality main courses than chain restaurant.

You make a good point. I still think they are going for Faux-High end. They are not serving high end cuts of meat. They may be serving high end sides and apps, but the meat choices scream budget chain restaurant to me, and that's all wrong.

For $60-100 per meal, for two people, I certainly expect better quality main courses than chain restaurant.

I'm sure they are going for a high-end steakhouse, but I think they were smart enough to understand that, at least at this time unless they get higher quality food, they are not and they priced things accordingly.

Well, I have to say that the Outback is in my city (not very many really good restaurants in town mostly chains, have to go to Scottsdale to get a good steak) and the filet at Cagney's (I eat there at least 3 times during a 7 day cruise), is 100% better than the Outback's filet. As a matter of fact, I stopped ordering the filet at the Outback, because it was so bad and now order the ribs.

I totally agree with you. For my family of four, this will not work. We like to try different items and before it was a great experience. Trying to decide if my 9 year old really needs a side or a dessert and adding up the costs- totally takes away from the fun and the freedom. We won't be paying extra for Cagneys anymore.

That says it best for me.....it totally takes away from the fun and freedom. For us, that's what the cruise experience is about.

Ok, I am very confused about this discussion. As I understand it, the Specialty Packages, requiring a minimum of 3 dinners, will still be sold, and the al a carte pricing will not apply to them, except as designated by additional upcharges in a few restaurants, i.e., tapas, raw bar, sushi, ocean Blue. So, how is this more expensive than before? If you like the specialty restaurants, buy the 3 meal (or more package) and then you will not have to deal with the al a carte pricing, right? Am I missing something?

Terry

can always run down to the MDR for a salad and desserts ;)

Part of specialty dining is the experience. Micromanaging costs and limiting the experience isn't for me. I did not select the most expensive of any section on the menu. Maybe 2 apps plus a salad each is a bit much, but I'm trying to compare apples to apples here.

Yes, if you order much less food than you got with the cover charges, you can keep prices in line.

You still must have been using close to the most expensive items for your comparison for every course. Below is an example of 2 apps, 2 salads, 2 entrees, and 4 sides.

Shrimp app $8

Pork app $5

2 salads $8

Filet $16

Surf turf $25

4 sides $8

Total is $70. Only $10 more than what the cover charge would have been and like I said most people would probably either do a salad and one side or just 2 sides (not both). Also this was including the surf and turf one of the more expensive entrees. So could be cheaper if that was changed.

Ok, I am very confused about this discussion. As I understand it, the Specialty Packages, requiring a minimum of 3 dinners, will still be sold, and the al a carte pricing will not apply to them, except as designated by additional upcharges in a few restaurants, i.e., tapas, raw bar, sushi, ocean Blue. So, how is this more expensive than before? If you like the specialty restaurants, buy the 3 meal (or more package) and then you will not have to deal with the al a carte pricing, right? Am I missing something?

Terry

No, you got it right - it's just there's people that don't want to pay for the 3 days SDP minimum, even though it will save them alot more at the a la carte restaurants. Especially if they're planning to eat a full 3 course meal with multiple entrees not counting the 18% autotips on top. SMH...

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

You still must have been using close to the most expensive items for your comparison for every course. Below is an example of 2 apps, 2 salads, 2 entrees, and 4 sides.

Shrimp app $8

Pork app $5

2 salads $8

Filet $16

Surf turf $25

4 sides $8

Total is $70. Only $10 more than what the cover charge would have been and like I said most people would probably either do a salad and one side or just 2 sides (not both). Also this was including the surf and turf one of the more expensive entrees. So could be cheaper if that was changed.

I think the passengers that will be affected with a much higher price are those that have a number of appetizers, actually some have said they currently order 3. I think this is one of reasons that NCL is doing this. When folks are ordering 3 appetizers, a salad, entree, then a number of sides and maybe a few desserts, the cost of the meal really goes up versus what I'm sure that they projected (budgeted) for the $30 cost. Now, passengers are more than welcome to order all of this and more, but it will cost them.

Not sure if the UDP/SDP will be unlimited, but if it is, this would be the way for the big eaters to go. For a 7 day plan, it nets down to $20 per meal, including gratuity.

Terry

What about the person that eats in the dining room every night but splurges once a cruise for a specialty restaurant. Two appetizers, entree, and desert at LeBistro is going to be significantly more expensive!

Sorry, but I have to say that this discussion reminds me of an unnamed person with whom we sometimes travel that insists at specialty restaurants on ordering way more than any one person could possibly eat, then proceeds to take only a few bites of each item ordered and allow the remainder to go to waste, because she "paid for it and wants to get [her] money's worth." The gluttony appalls me, but since we've known them for 30 years, I keep my mouth shut tight.

For the most part, if you either take the specialty package, or order an even larger-side normal meal, i.e., app, salad, dinner w side and dessert, the price will not be substantially different. It will only be higher if you order multiples, and I bet that most of the people complaining that it will now cost more never do that in a land-side restaurant where if you order 3 apps, you pay for 3 apps, and so on.

Terry