Sunshine Question

Jeff From NC

My middle son graduates college in May and we have decided to take him on a cruise. My wife and I, along with my 16 year old son will also be going to make a total of 4. My wife has looked at a balcony room but does not want to justify the extra money for the little bit of balcony room. She has been looking at interiors and thinks the 4 of us can stay in one room; I am worried that it will get old real fast.

We are going on the 8 day cruise, and I looking for advice... Will one room be sufficient, or should we get two rooms?

Thanks for any advice!

My middle son graduates college in May and we have decided to take him on a cruise. My wife and I, along with my 16 year old son will also be going to make a total of 4. My wife has looked at a balcony room but does not want to justify the extra money for the little bit of balcony room. She has been looking at interiors and thinks the 4 of us can stay in one room; I am worried that it will get old real fast.

We are going on the 8 day cruise, and I looking for advice... Will one room be sufficient, or should we get two rooms?

Thanks for any advice!

Just me but I think 4 people in one room with one tiny bathroom for 8 days would be really tough. Maybe look at getting adjoining interiors?

We have done interiors with our 9 yr old twins. It was tight then, but we made do because finances allowed only one room. Our last cruise with them was in 2013. They were 17 at the time and we did two cabins.

I would suggest two cabins is your finances allow it.

Earlier this year, my family of 4 did our first inside cabin on the Splendor. I was really worried I wouldn't like, but it actually wasn't bad. We had only had balcony cabins previously. We fit fine and my husband is 6' 4" and my son is 6' 8". We are usually out on deck anyways. Our cabin was on the lido deck which made it easy to go out and get light. The only problem we had actually had nothing to do with space. My son and husband were in the bottom bunks and my daughter and myself were in the tops bunks. When the tops bunks are down, the people in the bottom bunks are not able to see the tv. They weren't happy about that! We saved enough money that my husband and I are able to take another cruise in a few weeks! We are trying our first ocean view because it was only $40 more than an inside. We are excited to have our first couch in a room that didn't have to be turned into a bed.

My family enjoys being together so the inside worked out fine. In the past when I looked into booking two insides, it was the same price as one balcony so we always just booked the balcony.

It's going to be tight for sure loading up 4 adult sized people into 1 room regardless of a balcony. Obviously it is very cost effective, but the savings are worth it depending on how much time you like spending in the room. If you like to relax in the room, order room service, read on the balcony (potentially), and watch a movie all of this would be tough with 4 people. But if your room is solely a place to sleep, shower, and change and you spend your time at the pools, bars, etc then you can probably swing it. Price it out, if 4 people in 1 balcony room costs nearly the same as 4 people in 2 interiors go for the 2 interiors.

When my two kids were teens, my husband and I booked the four of us in an interior quad for every cruise, every year. We really had no problems, and financially, it made the best sense. It allowed us to cruise twice as much as we would've otherwise! Sometimes the daughter and I would use the bathroom, while son and husband showered in the spa area. As a family, we really weren't in the rooms enough to justify the extra money.

It depends on how much time you spend in the room and your personalities. I've shared an inside with three other adults and an inside with my husband and three kids, and had no problems. We book the cheapest rooms and spend the extra money enjoying the ports. It's totally workable. We hang multiple items on the same hanger to save space, and put the smaller suitcases inside the larger ones and items we don't need in the smaller suitcases before sliding them under the bed. Those who don't like to jump right out of bed are happy to wait for their turn in the bathroom.

OTOH, sharing the space would drive some people crazy. Are you normally okay with sharing a hotel room on vacation? Do you all take a long time getting ready for dinner or breakfast? Are you happier saving money or splurging?

Thanks for any advice!

Two rooms for this family of 4; would not travel without it. Twice the floor space. Twice the bathrooms. The kids can come and go as they please without disturbing parents. And 100% access to private time. :D

My Alaska cruise is three in a cabin, and we have all planned "down" time. Don't plan to spend much time in the cabin except to sleep and shower, and even then I have read to use the showers in the spa area, but with two grown kids traveling with you, I too would get adjoining interiors.